Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 05:25   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
PNW US/Canada seasonal cruising

As we plan our next cruising destination, we are considering the pacific NW for our US flagged Lagoon 400 (currently in the Med). We would probably ship it to save wear and tear on the long journey. Grandkids are calling us home closer to the US.

I have a few questions I’m hoping to get answers to:

1. We are accustomed to hauling out each winter for four or five months. We explore the desert southwest of America by RV until the spring Med sailing season, then live full time aboard, mostly at anchor and marina free. Is hauling out for winter typical in the PNW as well? Or do most people keep their boats in the water year round because of winter cruising opportunities or cost of land based storage. The thinking is by hauling out for winter and staying on the move when back in the water we don’t need a long term marina contract at all and would transit dock for occasional storms or other reasons. This is what we do in the Med.

2. We are an Arizona home ported boat with US documentation. I understand (mostly) the import duty to the US. However I’m wondering if we store the boat in Washington for less than 6 months a year on a nonresident permit and spend 7 months or so temporarily imported to Canadian waters (summer season) would taxes in either place be due as non residents of either place? (max 6 months Washington, max one year Canada)
Then repeat each season, which is something we are familiar with from the European customs zone VAT dance. Does an exit and re-entry reset the clock in Canada like it does in the EU? Or are there minimum times out of the area to reset? And similar for Washington state? Haven’t had luck finding this online.

3. I’ve spent Google time and have a hard time getting information on catamaran friendly marinas and haulout facilities. Most haulout websites talk max length and max tons without mention of max beam. How difficult is it to be a cat owner in the PNW?

4. As April to October cruisers would reverse cycle heat be sufficient on occasional chilly nights or do most people have diesel heat or something else?

We will most likely head to Mexico and beyond after a few years (or less) in the PNW so don’t want to pay more tax than legally required (who does?) for the couple of summer seasons there. We don’t plan on the boat returning to the US after this visit.

I’m grateful for whatever real world experience you can share about catamaran cruising in the PNW. The other option we are considering is the sea of Cortez in Mexico. Shipping costs from the Med make this an important decision!
Dtm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 12:45   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: PNW US/Canada seasonal cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtm67 View Post
As we plan our next cruising destination, we are considering the pacific NW for our US flagged Lagoon 400 (currently in the Med). We would probably ship it to save wear and tear on the long journey. Grandkids are calling us home closer to the US.

I have a few questions I’m hoping to get answers to:

1. We are accustomed to hauling out each winter for four or five months. We explore the desert southwest of America by RV until the spring Med sailing season, then live full time aboard, mostly at anchor and marina free. Is hauling out for winter typical in the PNW as well? Or do most people keep their boats in the water year round because of winter cruising opportunities or cost of land based storage. The thinking is by hauling out for winter and staying on the move when back in the water we don’t need a long term marina contract at all and would transit dock for occasional storms or other reasons. This is what we do in the Med.
Most people don't haul. No idea why, but it just seems to to be the norm—not sure about the US side, but certainly in BC there aren't a lot of dry storage places boats..

Quote:
2. We are an Arizona home ported boat with US documentation. I understand (mostly) the import duty to the US. However I’m wondering if we store the boat in Washington for less than 6 months a year on a nonresident permit and spend 7 months or so temporarily imported to Canadian waters (summer season) would taxes in either place be due as non residents of either place? (max 6 months Washington, max one year Canada)
Then repeat each season, which is something we are familiar with from the European customs zone VAT dance. Does an exit and re-entry reset the clock in Canada like it does in the EU? Or are there minimum times out of the area to reset? And similar for Washington state? Haven’t had luck finding this online.
No idea, sorry. But there are discussion about Washington tax implication on this site somewhere.

Quote:
3. I’ve spent Google time and have a hard time getting information on catamaran friendly marinas and haulout facilities. Most haulout websites talk max length and max tons without mention of max beam. How difficult is it to be a cat owner in the PNW?
I think you would have to call around to be certain, but there are enough cats in charter that I am pretty sure most major centers will have a travel lift big enough. Certainly Nanaimo has one

Quote:

4. As April to October cruisers would reverse cycle heat be sufficient on occasional chilly nights or do most people have diesel heat or something else?
If you are hardy then April to October you can get away with no heat at all. I use out heater less than once a month in the shoulder seasons and usually only to warm the boat in the morning. So by that logic reverse cycle should be enough. If you want a toasty boat 24/7 that might not be so...

Quote:

We will most likely head to Mexico and beyond after a few years (or less) in the PNW so don’t want to pay more tax than legally required (who does?) for the couple of summer seasons there. We don’t plan on the boat returning to the US after this visit.

I’m grateful for whatever real world experience you can share about catamaran cruising in the PNW. The other option we are considering is the sea of Cortez in Mexico. Shipping costs from the Med make this an important decision!
Not much help, I know... but I am a huge fan of the PNW. Worth exploring for a few years absolutely!
Old 24-08-2020, 14:51   #3

Boat: Tartan T4400

DTM67
I was looking at doing a very similar thing. Found out that Washington State has some very restrictive laws regarding out of state boats even if it is USCG documented.
Following is from https://parks.state.wa.us/461/Boat-registration
BOATERS VISITING WASHINGTON STATE
Boaters visiting Washington may recreate on state waters for up to 60 days without a permit as long as the vessel is registered in another state or has current U.S. Coast Guard documentation. If you plan to be on Washington waters longer, apply for a permit on or before the 60th day of your visit. To get a permit, visit any Vehicle Licensing Office, bring your unexpired state vessel registration and identification from your state. You may renew the permit once for an additional 60 days. When the renewed permit expires, you must either register your boat in Washington or remove your boat from Washington waters.
Here is some more ihttps://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=88.02.620nfo.
I am rethinking my plan I am looking at going to Alaska and Canada and bouncing back and forth. Trying to figure out how long I can have the boat in Canada. Will look at getting a Washington permit for a year and then head south.
Old 24-08-2020, 15:00   #4

While citizens of some countries must get visas to enter Canada, a U.S. citizen doesn't need a visa to travel to Canada. Whether an American is visiting Canada for business or personal reasons, he can stay for a period of six months.

Assume you can stay for that long too, unless an immigration official tells you otherwise. Occasionally, an official will exercise her right to allow an American visitor to stay in Canada for less than six months. If that happens to you, she should inform you of that decision and the reason for it.

Note that Canadian immigration officials still have the right to refuse entry to Americans for any number of reasons. Having a DUI conviction in your past is cause for denial, but officials make that call on a case-by-case basis. Other potentially disqualifying offenses include having ties to organized crime, committing human or international rights violations, and being convicted of certain other crimes.

Your residency status if you entered Canada
If you left another country to settle in Canada and you established significant residential ties with Canada becoming a resident of Canada in the tax year, you may be considered an immigrant
If you have ties in a country that Canada has a tax treaty with and you are considered to be a resident of that country, but you are also a factual resident of Canada because you established significant residential ties with Canada, you may be considered a deemed non-resident of Canada. The same rules apply to deemed non-residents as non-residents of Canada
If you have not established significant residential ties with Canada to be considered a factual resident, but you stayed in Canada for 183 or more days in the year, you may be considered a deemed resident of Canada
Your residency status if you normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country
If you did not have significant residential ties with Canada and you lived outside Canada throughout the year (except if you were a deemed resident of Canada), you may be considered a non-resident of Canada
If you did not have significant residential ties with Canada and you stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year, you may be considered a non-resident of Canada
If you want the Canada Revenue Agency's opinion on your residency status, complete either Form NR74, Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada) or Form NR73, Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada), whichever applies, and send it to the address indicated on the form. To get the most accurate opinion, provide as many details as possible on your form.

Residency status
Non-residents
You are a non-resident for tax purposes if you:

normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada
do not have significant residential ties in Canada
you live outside Canada throughout the tax year
you stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year

Are you a deemed resident?
You are a deemed resident of Canada for tax purposes if you are in one of the following situations:

You lived outside Canada during the tax year, you are not considered to be a factual resident of Canada because you did not have significant residential ties, and you are a government employee, a member of the Canadian Forces including their overseas school staff, or working under a Global Affairs Canada assistance program. This could also apply to the family members of an individual who is in one of these situations. For more information, see Government employees outside Canada

You stayed in Canada for 183 days or more (the 183-day rule) in the tax year, do not have significant residential ties with Canada, and are not considered a resident of another country under the terms of a tax treaty between Canada and that country

Washington State residency definition

Persons are considered residents of this state for sales and use tax purposes if they take actions which indicate that they intend to live in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. A person may be considered a resident of this state even though the person is a resident of another state.

The Department of Revenue presumes that a person is a resident of this state if he or she does ANY of the following:

Maintains a residence in Washington for personal use;
Lives in a motor home or vessel which is not permanently attached to any property if the person previously lived in this state and does not have a permanent residence in any other state;
Is registered to vote in this state;
Receives benefits under one of Washington's public assistance programs;
Has a state professional or business license in this state;
Is attending school in this state and paying tuition as a Washington resident or is a custodial parent with a child attending a public school in this state;
Uses a Washington address for federal or state taxes;
Has a Washington State driver's license; or
Claims Washington as a residence for obtaining a hunting or fishing license, eligibility to hold public office or for judicial actions.
Persons may rebut the presumption of residency if they provide other facts which show that they do not intend to reside in this state on either a temporary or permanent basis. A Washington resident who intends to move at a future date, however, will be considered a Washington resident.

FYI: The State of Washington does NOT have any personal income tax.

What is the estate tax rate in Washington, and when does it apply?
Washington has no income tax, but it imposes an estate tax of 10%-20% on estates of deceased Washington-domiciled residents, to the extent an estate exceeds the $2.193 million exemption and does not otherwise pass to a spouse or a charity. Notably, the tax similarly applies against the estate of any deceased person, regardless of domicile, who dies while owning property physically located in Washington. For such estates, the tax is proportionally reduced to capture only that part of the estate that is physically located in Washington. Thus, if you have an estate above the exemption, establishing domicile in a state that does not have estate tax, and reducing your Washington holdings, can significantly benefit your heirs.

What are other potential tax benefits or drawbacks to moving to a new state?
Depending on your personal tax situation, a new state’s income tax laws may be of more concern than Washington estate tax. Income tax liability may be based on “residency” rather than “domicile” - two related but different terms defined under a dizzying and sometimes conflicting array of laws across multiple states. Since Washington has no income tax, establishing even a part-time residency in a state with an income tax can yield an unpleasant result.

By the way, Canada and the USA share information as to entry and departures into the respective countries so Canada will know how many days you were in their country.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 15:39   #5

Travel for Private Boaters and Recreational Vessels: Canadian law requires all foreign private boaters, including recreational vessels, to present themselves upon their arrival in Canada to the CBSA. See the CBSA website for information regarding reporting requirements upon entry to Canada by boat. Boaters may report their arrival and/or apply for a registered boater program may use the CBP ROAM app. Current SVRS registration numbers may be used within the CBP Reporting Offsite Arrival - Mobile (ROAM) for expedited processing. Boaters may also continue to report their arrival via designated telephone reporting numbers, if desired. For more information about the CBP ROAM application, please visit the CBP ROAM webpage.

Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v.../menu-eng.html
Old 24-08-2020, 16:55   #6

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
DTM67
I was looking at doing a very similar thing. Found out that Washington State has some very restrictive laws regarding out of state boats even if it is USCG documented.
Following is from https://parks.state.wa.us/461/Boat-registration
BOATERS VISITING WASHINGTON STATE
Boaters visiting Washington may recreate on state waters for up to 60 days without a permit as long as the vessel is registered in another state or has current U.S. Coast Guard documentation. If you plan to be on Washington waters longer, apply for a permit on or before the 60th day of your visit. To get a permit, visit any Vehicle Licensing Office, bring your unexpired state vessel registration and identification from your state. You may renew the permit once for an additional 60 days. When the renewed permit expires, you must either register your boat in Washington or remove your boat from Washington waters.
Here is some more ihttps://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=88.02.620nfo.
I am rethinking my plan I am looking at going to Alaska and Canada and bouncing back and forth. Trying to figure out how long I can have the boat in Canada. Will look at getting a Washington permit for a year and then head south.
There's a mistake in this. A non-WA-resident can renew for another 60 days twice - I've done it, with my USCG documented vessel. First 60 days is free, each next 60 costs about $37.50 IIRC. So you're limited to 180 days, after which you must register with the state and pay use tax (like sales tax), which can be a big bill. When it became clear to me that I would be exceeding the 180 days most years, I gave up and registered with WA. And paid the use tax, plus annual registration/property tax (a much smaller bill).
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 20:38   #7

Boat: Tartan T4400

New Moon Sounds like you have done this can you point me to some web sites that would point me in the right direction Lets say the boat original value is 500K no sales tax paid, all done legally with a tax/maritime lawyer. it is now 20 years years old resale value around 250K. Boat is USCG documented, state registration not required in current US State with USCG documented vessel. How is use tax calculated? I do not think I would be in Washington for more than 2 or three seasons. Washington is convenient for us as we have many friends in the state.
Would like to spend time cruising the inside passage. Still trying to figure out how long we could leave the boat in Canada. We should be able to find a place to safely leave the boat for us to exit Canada as required. We could also head to Alaska cruise for the summer and find a place to leave the boat for the winter.
This is all probably two or three years off now with the corona virus closing the border.
Old 25-08-2020, 06:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
There's a mistake in this. A non-WA-resident can renew for another 60 days twice - I've done it, with my USCG documented vessel. First 60 days is free, each next 60 costs about $37.50 IIRC. So you're limited to 180 days, after which you must register with the state and pay use tax (like sales tax), which can be a big bill. When it became clear to me that I would be exceeding the 180 days most years, I gave up and registered with WA. And paid the use tax, plus annual registration/property tax (a much smaller bill).
Mistake is mine. Looking at the WA DOL website, I find that the rule has changed since my experience in 2017. Now it seems a non-resident is allowed to renew for another 60 days only once.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregist...boatvisit.html
Old 25-08-2020, 06:35   #9

Quote:
New Moon Sounds like you have done this can you point me to some web sites that would point me in the right direction Lets say the boat original value is 500K no sales tax paid, all done legally with a tax/maritime lawyer. it is now 20 years years old resale value around 250K. Boat is USCG documented, state registration not required in current US State with USCG documented vessel. How is use tax calculated?
I bought my boat in WA, so the sale price was clear for me. Not sure how it would work in your case. Use tax rate is determined by location, roughly around 9%.

https://webgis.dor.wa.gov/taxratelookup/SalesTax.aspx

Be careful when you investigate - different departments in WA state government sometimes have different opinions. A phone call is not necessarily something you can rely on - talk to a different person even in the same department and you may get a different answer.
Old 25-08-2020, 07:45   #10

Quote:
New Moon Sounds like you have done this can you point me to some web sites that would point me in the right direction Lets say the boat original value is 500K no sales tax paid, all done legally with a tax/maritime lawyer. it is now 20 years years old resale value around 250K. Boat is USCG documented, state registration not required in current US State with USCG documented vessel. How is use tax calculated? I do not think I would be in Washington for more than 2 or three seasons. Washington is convenient for us as we have many friends in the state.
Would like to spend time cruising the inside passage. Still trying to figure out how long we could leave the boat in Canada. We should be able to find a place to safely leave the boat for us to exit Canada as required. We could also head to Alaska cruise for the summer and find a place to leave the boat for the winter.
This is all probably two or three years off now with the corona virus closing the border.
State of Washington - Sales and use tax
Use tax and vessel registration requirements

Use tax applies to the use of articles within Washington acquired without paying sales tax. Articles purchased for use in this state are subject to sales tax or use tax, but not both. Sales tax is based on the selling price, while use tax is based on the value of the article at the time it is first used in Washington. The value includes any delivery charges paid to the seller.

If you purchase your boat from an individual or from out-of-state, use tax is due based on the place where the boat will be moored or stored. However, if the county auditor or licensing agent collects the use tax based on the owner’s location, a refund of any overpayment can be requested directly from the Department of Revenue. See our online page on Requesting a Refund.

If your boat is not required to be registered, you may pay the use tax by completing a Consumer Use Tax Return. For information on exemptions from sales/use tax please see the Exemptions to Sales/Use Tax section in this guide link.

https://dor.wa.gov/education/industr...es-and-use-tax

Columbia River moorage
Washington residents who moor their vessels on the Oregon side of the Columbia River are subject to Washington State sales or use tax. Use of the vessels is presumed to be on the Columbia River. Because the state line is down the middle of the river, the vessel will cross into Washington.

Purchase and use of vessels by nonresidents
Generally, vessels purchased or used in Washington are subject to sales tax or use tax and must be registered. However, there are some exemptions available to nonresidents of Washington that are discussed in detail below.

Topics covered include:

Vessel registration,

Vessel registration – Chapter 88.02 RCW

Domestic nonresidents
Domestic nonresidents are exempt from vessel registration requirements for the first 60 days of use within 12 continuous months. RCW 88.02.570(5).

Domestic nonresident individuals can extend their registration exempt stay if, before the 61st day of use here, they purchase a nonresident vessel (cruise) permit from the Department of Licensing (DOL).

To further extend the registration exempt period, a domestic nonresident individual must purchase a nonresident vessel permit from DOL before the first nonresident vessel permit expires. Exempt stays may not exceed 6 months during any continuous 12-month period.

Nonresident individuals are also exempt from registering their vessels (if 30 feet or longer) for a one-year period if they purchase a vessel use permit. The use permit must be purchased at the time of purchase of the vessel or within 14 days of first entering the state with the vessel. RCW 88.02.570(13) and RCW 88.02.620.

Foreign nonresidents
Foreign nonresidents are exempt from registration requirements for the first 60 days of use within 12 continuous months. RCW 88.02.570(4).

Foreign nonresidents can extend their registration exempt stay if, before the 61st day of use here, they purchase a vessel visitor permit from the Department of Licensing. This permit is valid as long as the vessel remains currently registered or numbered under the laws of a country other than the United States or the United States customs service cruising license remains valid. RCW 88.02.570(4) and RCW 88.02.610.

Foreign nonresident individuals are also exempt from registering their vessels (of 30 feet or longer) for a one-year period if they purchase a vessel use permit. The use permit must be purchased at the time of purchase of the vessel or within 14 days of first entering the state with the vessel. RCW 88.02.570(13) and RCW 88.02.620.

Purchases of vessels in Washington by nonresidents,

Purchases of vessels in Washington by nonresidents – Sales tax chapter 82.08 RCW

Sales tax exemption for vessels purchased in this state by nonresidents
Both domestic and foreign nonresidents may purchase a vessel in this state without payment of sales tax pursuant to RCWs 82.08.0266 and 82.08.02665. Both statutes require:

The vessel will not be used within this state for more than 45 days, and
An appropriate exemption certificate, supported by identification signed by the purchaser establishing that the purchaser is a resident of another state or foreign country (and not a Washington resident), and that the vessel is for use outside of this state.
Once the purchased vessel has been removed from this state (within 45 days), it may return to this state tax exempt for the balance of the temporary use period (the initial 60 days plus two 60 day extensions for a total of 180 days for vessels owned by individuals or 60 days for vessels owned by others within a continuous 12-month period). WAC 458-20-238(4)(b)

Use permits for vessels purchased in this state by nonresidents
RCW 82.08.700 provides a sales tax exemption for certain nonresident individuals who purchase a vessel of 30 feet or longer in this state from a vessel dealer. The nonresident individual must purchase a one-year use permit from the vessel dealer. The purchase of the vessel and the purchase of the use permit must occur at the same time. The law does not allow a nonresident individual who purchases a vessel 30 feet or longer from a vessel dealer in Washington to separately purchase a use permit from another vessel dealer.

A nonresident opting to purchase a use permit, makes an irrevocable election to forgo taking the sales tax exemption under either RCW 82.08.0266 or 82.08.02665 (as discussed above). The vessel must be removed from this state before the use permit expires and may not return to this state for 24 months after the expiration of the use permit.

Use of vessels in Washington by nonresidents,

Use of vessels in Washington by nonresidents – Use tax chapter 82.12 RCW

Both domestic and foreign nonresidents may use their vessels in Washington for up to 60 days during any continuous 12-month period without incurring a use tax liability. WAC 458-20-238(4)(b)

Domestic nonresident individuals may use their vessels in Washington for up to 6 months during any continuous 12-month period without incurring a use tax liability. To qualify for this six-month exemption period, the watercraft must be issued a valid number under federal law or by an approved authority of the state of principal operation, be documented under the laws of a foreign country, or have a valid United States customs service cruising license. The watercraft must also satisfy all identification requirements under RCW 88.02.030 for any period after the first sixty days. Failure to meet the applicable documentation and identification requirements will result in a loss of the exemption.

A use tax exemption is also available to domestic and foreign nonresident individuals who acquired a vessel of 30 feet or longer outside Washington and purchase a one-year use permit from a licensed vessel dealer within 14 days of first entering the state with the vessel. The vessel must be removed from this state before the use permit expires and may not return to this state for 24 months after the expiration of the use permit. RCW 82.12.700.

and Vessels in Washington for repairs.

Vessels owned by nonresidents that are in this state exclusively for repairs are not subject to use tax and registration requirements if the owner of the vessel files a repair affidavit with the Department of Revenue every 60 days that the vessel remains at the repair facility. RCW 88.02.570(6) and WAC 458-20-238.

The above information is available in a convenient Charted Format: https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...nresidents.pdf

Vessels exempt from the registration requirements are also exempt from the watercraft excise tax.

Title and registration responsibilities State of Washington

Most boats must be titled and registered with the Department of Licensing except for those under 16 feet in length and motorized by 10 horsepower or less. You may register your boat at your local county auditor’s office or with a vehicle licensing agency. You must have the vessel’s hull number; signatures of all owners except lien holder(s); and proof of ownership, such as the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, Carpenter’s Certificate, Manufacturer’s Invoice or original Certificate of Title.

Registration process
The registration year for vessels registered in Washington begins July 1 and runs through June 30. When you register your vessel with the Department of Licensing, you may request to keep your U.S. Coast Guard registration number.

The boat registration fees include:

registration fee
watercraft excise tax (0.5 percent of the vessel’s value)
use tax, unless sales tax or use tax was previously paid or the vessel is otherwise exempt from sales or use tax
derelict vessel and invasive species fees
derelict vessel removal surcharge
license and filing fees

You must complete a Declaration of Value if the most recent purchase value / price of your boat is unknown, your boat is homemade, or you acquired the boat by trade, lease or gift. The declared value is subject to review.

All boat owners must notify the Department of Licensing within 15 days of any changes:

owner’s change of address
destruction, loss, abandonment, theft, or recovery of the boat
loss or destruction of a valid certificate or registration

Within five working days of selling your vessel, you must notify the Department of Licensing of:

the name and address of the owner and transferee
the vessel’s registration number and/or hull identification number

U.S. Boats remaining in Canada

In August 2012, the Canadian government began enforcing a law requiring foreigners to pay an import tax if they leave their boats in Canada after October 31. Americans may not leave their U.S. registered boat in Canada year-round without paying duty and tax (up to 13% depending on the country of manufacture). A E-99 permit may allow American boats to remain in a Canadian marina during the winter to get work done. For current information, contact the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Non-resident visitors may leave their boats in Canada during the off-season without payment of duties only if repair or maintenance work is to be undertaken by a bona fide marina or service outlet during that time. Before leaving a boat, the owner must advise the local Customs office of the details and produce a copy of the work order, identifying the unit and showing the name and address of the owner, the type of work to be done, and the location where the work will be carried out.

Private Canadian and American citizens can apply to be included under the NEXUS program. This scheme is a joint US/Canadian Customs and Immigration program for frequent travellers between the two countries. It replaces the CANPASS permit. NEXUS is designed to simplify procedures for pre-approved, low-risk boaters who regularly cross the border. It allows such boaters to clear Customs and Immigration of either Canada or the U.S.A. by contacting the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) within 30 minutes and up to 4 hours prior to arrival.

See the Nexus Program site for details. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

FYI: The Present Situation.

COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS RESTRICTIONS:

05 July, 2020:

From www.canada.ca – Information for foreign boaters

Unless you are exempt, you cannot currently enter Canadian waters (territorial sea and internal waters) or boundary waters for discretionary (non-essential) reasons.
These non-essential reasons include:
– touring
– sightseeing
– pleasure fishing
Transiting boaters: You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:
– direct
– continuous/uninterrupted
– by the most reasonable route
Transiting travelers may only make non-discretionary (essential) stops along the way, including to use facilities, refuel or for essential supplies.
You must follow social distancing practices and wear a non-medical mass or face covering during these stops.
Anchoring: You may stop and anchor out of ordinary navigation, particularly if it becomes dangerous to navigate at night or if the crew must rest before safely continuing your trip.
If you anchor to spend the night, you must quarantine on your boat. If this is not possible, you may quarantine at a hotel until you are ready to resume your trip.
Reporting requirements: If at any point a transiting vessel lands on Canadian soil, anchors, moors or comes alongside another vessel in Canadian waters, or if anyone onboard disembarks in Canada, the operator must report to the CBSA.
All entry restrictions apply.
The CBSA and its law enforcement partners are actively monitoring Canadian waterways. If you fail to report to the CBSA, regardless if your purpose is non-discretionary (essential) such as to refuel, you may face severe penalties. Failure to report may also affect your immigration admissibility and ability to re-enter Canada in the future.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:28   #11

I would say about 25% of the boats haul out during winter on the Sound, most stay in the water, primarily because it rarely freezes, and also because there are a few sunny days when winter sailing is possible. Temperatures on the Sound are rarely extreme. In April and October it is certainly survivable or even comfortable without heating.
I would not say that the Seattle marinas are especially catamaran friendly, but there are slips, also in many marinas in the vicinity. There are several cats in the area, used very actively.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 09:43   #12

1. We are accustomed to hauling out each winter for four or five months. We explore the desert southwest of America by RV until the spring Med sailing season, then live full time aboard, mostly at anchor and marina free. Is hauling out for winter typical in the PNW as well? NO, most leave them in the slip. Temperatures are not that low here. Permanent slips are hard to get, if you haul you will be paying twice to retain your slip.

2. We are an Arizona home ported boat with US documentation. I understand (mostly) the import duty to the US. However I’m wondering if we store the boat in Washington for less than 6 months a year on a nonresident permit and spend 7 months or so temporarily imported to Canadian waters (summer season) would taxes in either place be due as non residents of either place? (max 6 months Washington, max one year Canada) I'm not sure, but I doubt it. If you paid tax in Arizona I think you wont pay much in WA though. You could cruise x mo's Canada, x mo's US maybe? I also wonder if dry storing would get you out of the need for registration? Many states dont require it to store an out of state boat, as it would discourage spending money in the state.

3. I’ve spent Google time and have a hard time getting information on catamaran friendly marinas and haulout facilities. Most haulout websites talk max length and max tons without mention of max beam. How difficult is it to be a cat owner in the PNW? I'm not sure but there are cats up here. Your haulouts may be limited.

4. As April to October cruisers would reverse cycle heat be sufficient on occasional chilly nights or do most people have diesel heat or something else? I never had any fancy heat cruising those months here. At the dock electric space heaters. Small kerosene heater. But many have Webasto or Espar diesel heat. April to Oct is fairly mild though. Depends on how well you deal with cool temps. I would say generally April to Oct you would see lows of 50 degrees or higher.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 09:47   #13

I can recommend Pacific Marine Center in Anacortes, Wa, for a catamaran friendly haul out and storage. They took out our 39ft. catamaran with their self-propelled trailer that backs down between the hulls, inflates bags to lift and then goes up the ramp.
They also have land storage.
Go to their website

We left our cat there for four months.
Anacortes is a great place to get any work done, mechanical, canvas, rigging, etc.
There are few places in British Columbia that have land storage available.
We did not have a permanent slip anywhere, as we had been sailing on the Inside Passage, arrived in Anacortes and arranged for the haulout (we had contacted them prior to arrival) left the boat to go to Mexico for the coldest months, returned in April, launched and stayed for a week or so at the Cap Sante marina in Anacortes, then headed up (slowly) to Alaska.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
[B][I]

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. If you paid tax in Arizona I think you wont pay much in WA though. You could cruise x mo's Canada, x mo's US maybe? I also wonder if dry storing would get you out of the need for registration? Many states don't require it to store an out of state boat, as it would discourage spending money in the state.
Pretty sure that the catamaran was not purchased or used in Arizona, hence no Sales or Use tax would have been due in that state, but it's purchase or use in another State that has sales or use tax could have invoked taxation which previously paid tax, if any, would receive reciprocity of credit in Washington against sales or use tax otherwise due to the State of Washington.

Washington State Registration requirements

Unless specifically exempt, you must meet all Washington state registration requirements when using a documented vessel on Washington waters. This means you must register your boat in Washington:

Within 60 days of moving to Washington with the vessel.
Within 15 days of buying the vessel, if bought it in another state and you live in Washington.

Exempt vessels:

Military vessels

Public vessels of the United States or the American Red Cross.

Vessels owned by a state, county, or city and used for governmental purposes.

Vessels with a marine document as a vessel of the United States that are primarily engaged in commerce, including:
Tugs
Barges
Charter vessels (bare vessel charters or timeshare vessels)

Vessels issued a United States Customs Service Cruising License or registered in another country.
Vessel is exempt from registration only for the first 60 days of use.
On or before the 61st day of use on Washington waters, the owner must obtain a vessel visitor permit as required under RCW 88.02.610.

A vessel primarily engaged in commerce that is owned by a resident of a country other than the United States.

Vessels registered in another state.

Vessel is exempt from registration only for the first 60 days of use.
On or before the 61st day of use on Washington state waters, the owner must obtain a nonresident vessel permit as required under RCW 88.02.620.
If the principal place of use changes from another State to Washington, the vessel must be registered in Washington.

Canoes, kayaks, or vessels that don't have a motor or sail (strictly human powered).

Vessels with propulsion machinery that:
Draw 250 watts or less, and
Propel the vessel no faster than 10 miles per hour, and
Are not used on waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States or the high seas beyond the territorial seas for vessels owned in the United States.

Vessels owned by a nonresident in Washington exclusively for repairs, alteration, or reconstruction.
An employee of the repair facility providing these services must be on board the vessel during any testing.
The owner must file an affidavit with the Department of revenue by the 61st day to verify the vessel is being serviced.
The affidavit must be filed every 60 days thereafter, as long as the vessel is located upon the waters.

Vessels less than 16 feet long with a motor of 10 horsepower or less, if used on non-federal waters only.
Tenders 10 HP or less used for direct transportation between a registered vessel and the shore and for no other purpose. The tender must display the number of the registered vessel followed by the suffix "1".
Vessels 30 ft. or longer purchased by a nonresident that has purchased a use permit issued under RCW 82.08.700 or 82.12.700.

Vessels held for sale by a licensed dealer.

Vessels used exclusively for commercial fishing must be listed with Washington State Department of Revenue.
Old 25-08-2020, 11:18   #15

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Thanks for all of the replies. It seems that a rotation of a non resident/tax unpaid boat from Canada to Washington state and back again isn’t workable for more than a year. If I read the information shared correctly that is (my head is still spinning a little...)

However maybe a Washington state-Canada-Alaska across several years would be workable as a loop? Another poster mentioned they were heading north due to this issue. Seems like this would clear the 24 month clock in WA for the return south. And wow what amazing cruising grounds along the way!

Does anyone do this with first hand experience? The transit boat life of visas and taxes is a well trodden path here in the Med (EU to non EU then back). Many many boats do the dance over here so I optimistically thought there was possibility over in that part of the world too. Haven’t given up yet...
Dtm67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, cruising