Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2023, 17:14   #1

Boat: Neel 51
Miami or West Palm Beach? Finding a place to stay for a month.

I'm heading to Florida to stay for a month before a trans-Atlantic back to Med.
I'm looking for a place to stay on anchor for about a month, my draft is 6ft (1.8m).
During that month I'll be busy with repairs and upgrades so Miami seems to be a better choice. More stores, services and things to see.
However I'm not sure how easy will be life there. I need a dinghy access and car parking.
1. Coconut Groove seems to be OK. But does the marina allow use their dinghy dock and parking?
2. Marine Stadium. Limited information about dinghy dock usage. Some say it's possible, some say it's not.

Generally I'd use Navily app to get all of this information about an anchorage or a marine in Europe. But in US many things are done in different way and I cannot find simple information.
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 18:03   #2

Re: Miami or West Palm Beach? Finding a place to stay for a month.

You can get a mooring ball in Coconut Grove which gives you access to the parking and dinghy dock as well as the showers. The West Marine and few other marine stores are bike ride away.
rlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 18:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevi View Post
You can get a mooring ball in Coconut Grove which gives you access to the parking and dinghy dock as well as the showers. The West Marine and few other marine stores are bike ride away.

I called them (Dinner Key marina) and they say that the mooring fields is for up 40ft. I'm 51 and 29ft wide.
But it looks like I can anchor just behind the field.
Old 14-03-2023, 16:58   #4

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
I called them (Dinner Key marina) and they say that the mooring fields is for up 40ft. I'm 51 and 29ft wide.
But it looks like I can anchor just behind the field.
You can. You can get water after the marina closes off the spigot on their dinghy dock. You can use the (non marina) dingy dock by the park. I suspect you can find street parking or park by the park

Watch your depths some shallow water. We anchored with 5’ ok on the edge of the mooring field.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 05:15   #5

I decided to go to Dinner Key marina's mooring. $500/month for for the ball. Parking, dinghy dock and address to receive packages included. Per day in the marina seems to be $200-300 for my size.

The mooring field is quiet and not rolly. But a bit too far from the dighy dock.

Tags
miami