Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24   #1

Mexico TIP for boat with no HIN

I have a 1967 Cal 36 that I will be sailing down to Mexico with the Haha this year. It's Coast Guard documented, but as it's a pre-1972 boat I have no Hull Identification Number (HIN).

Does anybody have experience getting a Mexico Temporary Import Permit for Mexico for a boat with no HIN?

Can I apply online and just put the documentation number where they ask for a HIN?

Thanks in advance for any TIP tips for boats with no HIN!
Happy Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09   #2

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Mexico TIP for boat with no HIN

Best to get an HIN for the boat. For old boats or homebuilt boats, this is handled by your state (in USA) by whatever department registers vessels. You will then need to get USCG documentation updated with HIN. Make sure HIN is put on transom according to regulations (i.e., "Permanently affixed to the vessel in such a way that its alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious.", also I think letters required to be at least 1/4" high).

A few years ago there was a big stink about TIPs on boats in Mexican marinas. Those boats without HINs had a terrible time getting things resolved. Best to go through steps and get your HIN and get it on all documents before getting your TIP.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 22:07   #3

Thanks, Dennis. I should clarify that I'm not sure I have time to get the HIN. I will send the application for a HIN to the coast guard, but the turnaround time is usually pretty long and I leave in less than a month.
So I'm wondering what my chances are of being able to get a TIP without a HIN.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:57   #4

My 1970 Willard 36 has no HIN. I arrived in Ensenada 1-year ago and had no problems getting a TIP, though I add that the marina personnel were helpful in walking me through the entrance procedures (literally walked me to each office for clearance documents). My boat is USCG documented though. Also TIP notes Serial Number of engine so there is some identification. Good luck and enjoy the Ha Ha. I did it in 2005 and enjoyed it!
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:01   #5

Attached is a close up of my TIP. Note the red circled part "SIN HIN" Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191002-055930__01.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	200846
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:00   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Go to the "rally" promoter, Latitude 38 and either call or email them this question. They normally have at least one public meeting with the appropriate Mexican authority that will answer this question.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:54   #7

Boat: Alberg 30

get a Dremel tool and add your own HIN
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 14:47   #8

Boat: 1972 Formosa 41, 41od 48 oa

If it's a documented vessel then it should have the USCG doc. Numbers in a main beam in the hull. The Doc. #'s My old trumpy had them on a deck beam near the bow, Other doc. vessels I've had them in the keel or similar spot. Those numbers should be all you need along with USCG doc. papers up to date. Documented boats are approved and inspected when built. the doc.#'s were assigned by the Govt. to That hull and used instead of a manufactures serial or hull ID numbers. Many people don't realize documented vessels and there crew can still be called into service if needed by the Govt. That's why they don't require state regestration. The reason they started documention was because the Govt. and navy only built military vessels, Documented vessels are actually part of the merchant marines fleet of vessels that can be called into service in time of war or emergency and used for supply vessels, coast watching, etc. etc.Inj reality the Govt. owns a documented vessel they just allow you to buy and sell it or use it and maintain it for them. Back back in the day pre mid-late 1970's there was a lot of perks owning or working on a documented vessel like free medical,being able to shop at military base PX's and other military benefits that also applied to the Merchant Marines.
capt.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 17:50   #9

Just wanted to report, in case it's helpful for anybody else, that I was able to get my TIP online no problem. When it asks for your HIN, there is an option to say "no HIN" or something like that. The website is a bit confusing, but it was far easier to get online that I was led to believe. I received the TIP in the mail in a week. The most confusing part is when it asks to upload documents. They ask for a Passport (straightforward), your boat documentation, bill of sale, and then "identification". I was confused by the last one since I had already uploaded a scan of my passport, but I just uploaded a scan of my drivers license and that seemed to work. Not sure why the Haha folks are warning people not to apply online.

Tags
boat, Mexico