Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 10:41   #1

Marina with Storage in Kingston / Thousand Islands / Bay of Quinte

I've called almost every marina from Brockville to Brighton trying to find a spot to store a 43' sailboat and I'm having absolutely no luck what-so-ever. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a marina that might be able to take it?

I need to do some work to the boat over the fall / winter / spring as well, its not urgent to launch kind of looking for a back corner of a yard somewhere. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear from you, feeling pretty defeated (I've called about 18 marinas so far)

Thanks
willston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:03   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Marina with Storage in Kingston / Thousand Islands / Bay of Quinte

Do you mean indoor storage? If so, I have no idea. But there's lots of places with outdoor storage. Did you try Stillwater Basin Marina in Belleville? It's a small marina. I stayed there for a few years. It went through an ownership change, and the new owner wasn't as good as the initial one, but it was relatively inexpensive, and they certainly weren't prissy.

The other one I considered when in the area was the Bath Marina (Loyalist Cove). And if you're willing to go a bit further up, you could look at Iroquois.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:16   #3

Hey thanks for the response! Not looking for indoor no, the work I have to do I can actually do offsite I just need to remove the odd part from the boat here and there.

Heres who I've tried so far:

Pecks Marina
Ivy Lea Club (I have a good friend who works here but they don't like sailboats)
Village Quay Marina
Trident Yacht Club
Clarks Marina
Treasure Island Marina
Kingston Marina / Metalcraft Marine (I can't for the life of me get in touch with these guys, but I know they're full)
Collins Bay Marina
Pride Marine Kingston
Loyalist Cove Marina (can't get in touch but from talking to others they are full)
Waupoos Marina
Crate Marine
Still Water Basin (waiting on a call back)
Trent Port Marina
Presquile Landing Marina (closing down)
Presquile Yacht Club

Every place I've called I've asked for suggestions and they just say they don't know. Marina's have closed down or aren't offering winter storage anymore and basically the whole area is packed.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:27   #4

Boat: Hunter 37C

Try Iroquois marine, they're very accommodating.
B25Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:30   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by willston View Post
Every place I've called I've asked for suggestions and they just say they don't know. Marina's have closed down or aren't offering winter storage anymore and basically the whole area is packed.
Well, you got me. They're all full, or not offering winter storage? That's bizarre. When I was in there area back in 2014-17 there was no lack of availability. I think there's a couple more in Belleville, but other than that I not sure what else to suggest other than Iroquois.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/explor...28&mode=marina
Old 01-09-2021, 12:22   #6

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I'll give Iroquois a try, further than I want but I'll give it a shot!

That's what I though, it's weird how few have space. Growing up I always remember the Belleville Marina being almost empty all winter long, but no one has space and no one knows of anyone with space. Hopefully Still Water gets back to me because I know that area better than Iriquois
Old 01-09-2021, 14:20   #7

I was going to say Loyalist Cove (their glasswork/hull restorer, Jason/Justin (?) is amazing) or Wapoos, but you've already tried them.

The reason they're all full is their reasonable rates - ESPECIALLY in comparison to Toronto! It's easy enough to sail East at the end of the season to to haul and store your boat, so a lot of Torontonians are doing just that.

Wilson, NY, apparently, also has incredibly reasonable rates, but with the whole Covid scene, not a probability.

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:27   #8

Boat: Catalina 375

One of the problems is that The City of Kingston used to store boats at Portsmouth Harbor. In some years there used to be well over 100 boats there. They will not store anymore. I am at Loyalist for years and they are jammed full especially for those that want to leave their masts up. Some other person mentioned that we are getting a lot of boats from Toronto in the area now for winter storage. I believe that is true. Good luck.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:28   #9

Boat: Taswell 49

I wouldn't just go on the word of someone else for Loyalist Cove Marina (Bath). They have an additional location up the road a ways from their marina where they store boats so I imagine they have a means to transport the boats there. It is in a field so they are likely to have space. Just perhaps not dock space.
My Wind Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:30   #10

Boat: Catalina 375

Re Loyalist, they do have a secondary storage at their shop however they were full last winter. Also the person is talking about a big boat. I know they cannot move my boat with mast down to that storage because of low electrical lines crossing the roads.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:39   #11

I'm about 14 kms. W. of you near Colebrook.
The basic issue seems to be as a result of Covid and lots of wealth meaning that people, instead of holidaying abroad have got boats and travel trailers etc.
Try Trident Yacht Club as a possibility even though the clubhouse is likely closed all Winter.
Best wishes,
Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:47   #12

Boat: Mirage 33

Is Newcastle Ontario too far away for you? Good facilities and staff. May be thin water to get a 43ft into.
pmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 14:22   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

I'm surprised Clarks doesn't have space - they just added a new hanger and more than doubled their upper storage area this summer.... and there was room for more boats in the upper area last winter beside us.

The only issue might be the depth getting to the travel lift - not sure what they claim to have, but it was shallow last fall (5ft?) (although they have been dredging..)

You may want to call them again..
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:52   #14

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Call Waupoos 613) 476-2926 and ask for Joe
Bill

QUOTE=willston;3474410]I've called almost every marina from Brockville to Brighton trying to find a spot to store a 43' sailboat and I'm having absolutely no luck what-so-ever. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a marina that might be able to take it?

I need to do some work to the boat over the fall / winter / spring as well, its not urgent to launch kind of looking for a back corner of a yard somewhere. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear from you, feeling pretty defeated (I've called about 18 marinas so far)

Thanks[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:27   #15

Oh man so many good suggestions here! I’m surprised as well. Loyalist Cove also moves boats so that’s why they can do offsite, I’m actually really hoping they can help me move my vessel. It really is a shame, the city marina quit storing for the winter and then a few marinas in the area closed up. Because there is so much business with power boats, no one wants to touch sailboats (according to them, they’re easier to haul etc and there’s a stereotype of sailboat owners being too ‘frugal’). They can pick and choose and they do.
When I was calling, I just asked if they had room for a 43’ sailboat for storage—all were very prompt nope we are 100% full. A real shame.

I never thought I’d be having a hard time with this.

My current solution is there is a gravel storage facility about 20 minutes northwest of Loyalist Cove Marina in Odessa. He stores like RV’s and things and is letting me put the boat there. Its a heck of a lot cheaper and he’s all good with me working on it (no major rules about work etc like in the marinas). Only problem is then I have to get it moved again, but I think it’ll be worth it.

If any of you have any suggestions for moving the boat too, I have another thread open on that because that is also proving to be a challenge.

Tags
storage