Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2020, 13:03   #16

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Let's talk cruising in British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
You need heat on your boat. Almost year round.
Wimp!

It does depend. If you like camping in the mountains then the temps are no hardship outside of winter. We rarely turn on our heater between April 1 and October 1. Fleece sheets are the best and a candle takes the edge off in the evenings.
Old 15-12-2020, 13:46   #17

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

More great intel.

MacBlaze, your prejudice is why I want your commentary!

Stu, nice piece. We obviously have more consistent wind in the Northeast, but I'm happy to putter when puttering's the only way to get there. Definitely eyeing vessels with larger fuel tanks in preparation.

Pelagia, I dig the scary names. Then again, I sail past The Graves on my way out of my home port. But seriously, it definitely looks like there are serious conditions to pay attention to with those tides and narrow inlets and passes. And I'm guessing the two straits can get rough.

Really enjoying these perspectives. Deck Salon/Pilot House sound like a nice way to go for any guests who may join me. Mostly I'll be alone with no schedule other than the weather, and that sounds like the attitude to have there.

Definitely going to invest in a heater—for passengers. I'm alright with cold like the cold you describe. Not to sound cavalier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66C537F6-8377-4E2F-8DE4-2AC5BE87AA9E.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	228703  
Old 15-12-2020, 13:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
There used to be a really good book about BC weather (can picture it, but can't remember the name; a little googling found this, I don't know if it's as good:
This one? Taken By the Wind: The Northwest Coast: A Guide to Sailing the Coasts of British Columbia and Southeast Alaska https://www.amazon.ca/Taken-Wind-Nor.../dp/1532895666

Have a read on these guys' site. They love sailing rather than motoring and write about it quite a bit: https://svviolethour.com/2018/04/16/...by-wind-power/ I am pretty sure he hangs out here on CF as well so he might chime in...
Old 15-12-2020, 14:07   #19

Boat: 52' Cheoy Lee Motorsailer

In addition to the many good points on weather, tides, currents, and deadheads I would add: ensure you have some good ground tackle.

Up north one often has to anchor in 90'+ of water.

One of the best cruising grounds in the world. I expect you will love it.
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 14:18   #20

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
This one?
No, it was the West Coast Marine Weather Hazards Manual (https://www.starpath.com/catalog/books/1876.htm) - it's out of print now. Having had a chance to thumb through the one I posted up thread, it appears to be descended from this one, with perhaps more emphasis on the local wind traits. Iirc, it was written by a professional meteorologist who was also an avid sailor.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 14:26   #21

Quote:
No, it was the West Coast Marine Weather Hazards Manual (https://www.starpath.com/catalog/books/1876.htm) - it's out of print now. Having had a chance to thumb through the one I posted up thread, it appears to be descended from this one, with perhaps more emphasis on the local wind traits. Iirc, it was written by a professional meteorologist who was also an avid sailor.
Nice. I will have to keep an eye out for it. The other one we have that I like is https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Came-All.../dp/0660175177
produced by Environment Canada. There is a companion book too: https://www.amazon.com/Living-Weathe.../dp/0660189844

Edit: just noticed that the first book was linked was on the page you linked
Old 15-12-2020, 14:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Nice. I will have to keep an eye out for it. The other one we have that I like is https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Came-All.../dp/0660175177
produced by Environment Canada. There is a companion book too: https://www.amazon.com/Living-Weathe.../dp/0660189844

Edit: just noticed that the first book was linked was on the page you linked
It's possible Owen Lange was involved with creating the Weather Hazard Manual - unfortunately my copy is on the boat, many miles away.
Old 15-12-2020, 14:45   #23

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
More great intel.

Definitely going to invest in a heater—for passengers. I'm alright with cold like the cold you describe. Not to sound cavalier.
The cold is certainly manageable. It's not like it gets below freezing here very often. Layers are the key to staying warm and comfortable.

Buy a few sets of marino wool base layers (thin, moisture wicking, quick drying), and lots of polar fleece, and a great set of Gore Tex fouls.

The heater is not only for guests, but essential to keep the boat (and you) dry. As someone alluded to earlier...everything just feels damp. It also helps prevent excessive condensation.

I told my crew...'It's easier to stay warm than to get warm.'
Old 15-12-2020, 15:05   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
It's possible Owen Lange was involved with creating the Weather Hazard Manual - unfortunately my copy is on the boat, many miles away.

"The Wind Came All Ways" is excellent, but only covers the South Coast of BC.

The "book" linked below is the equivalent but for all of BC -- EXHAUSTIVE COVERAGE.

Here's a copy of this detailed description of BC Marine weather (excellent!):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12e...ayfXxxEnBVjfVR

All BC sailors should have it.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 15:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
The cold is certainly manageable. It's not like it gets below freezing here very often. Layers are the key to staying warm and comfortable.

Buy a few sets of marino wool base layers (thin, moisture wicking, quick drying), and lots of polar fleece, and a great set of Gore Tex fouls.

The heater is not only for guests, but essential to keep the boat (and you) dry. As someone alluded to earlier...everything just feels damp. It also helps prevent excessive condensation.

I told my crew...'It's easier to stay warm than to get warm.'
Fair enough. I won't look a gift toasty cabin in the mouth!

Great recommendations on the clothes; sailing in New England, that's what I have.
Old 15-12-2020, 15:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
"The Wind Came All Ways" is excellent, but only covers the South Coast of BC.

The "book" linked below is the equivalent but for all of BC -- EXHAUSTIVE COVERAGE.

Here's a copy of this detailed description of BC Marine weather (excellent!):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12e...ayfXxxEnBVjfVR

All BC sailors should have it.
Bookmarked. Thank you!
Old 15-12-2020, 15:51   #27

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We have sailed out of Vancouver for more than 30 years. We have also spent 10 years sailing in the Sea of Cortez, 3 years in Indonesia and more recently several months in French Polynesia where we left our boat after crossing from Mexico in 2019. We decided that we enjoyed the sailing so much here on Canada's west coast, and knew that we could not or would not sail year round in FP, that we bought another boat.

We have always sailed in Vancouver, year round when we are here and still do. The new to us boat has an Espar heater which is really nice - the other boat has a bulkhead mounted Force10 propane heater. Ok, but uses a lot of fuel.

If time permits, this series of Youtube videos describes sailing year round on much of the west coast from Prince Rupert down to Vancouver. They are, IMHO, well done. The sailors that produced them are now living in the far north and they left their boat back in Vancouver. There are quite a few videos so check out the series "Inside Passage" and also, "Cruising BCs North Coast". The couple were based in Prince Rupert for a number of years and also sailed year round.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpe...KZe2YNC4UFj7cg

A favourite boating book of mine for this area is "The curve of time" by M. Wylie Blanchet. The story of a widow and her young children continuing to cruise after the husband/father passes.

It does rain but it doesn't take long to get used to it. Wind in the summer can be light, but so far I have never sailed anywhere in the world where the wind blows consistently above 10 knots every day.
Old 15-12-2020, 16:02   #28

All that negativity about the weather!

Why not just be glad that weather forecasting is dead simple in these waters: If you can see the mountains, it's gonna rain. If you can't - it's raining :-).

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 16:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post

If time permits, this series of Youtube videos describes sailing year round on much of the west coast from Prince Rupert down to Vancouver. They are, IMHO, well done. The sailors that produced them are now living in the far north and they left their boat back in Vancouver. There are quite a few videos so check out the series "Inside Passage" and also, "Cruising BCs North Coast". The couple were based in Prince Rupert for a number of years and also sailed year round.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpe...KZe2YNC4UFj7cg
Time always permits to geek out on other people's sailing videos. Thank you for sharing.

Trente Pieds, I sail in New England. Weather in Vancouver sounds great.

Plus some rain I expect, minus this stuff:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.02.40 PM.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	228710  
Old 15-12-2020, 16:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Bookmarked. Thank you!
If the link in post #5 works for you, you can download it in high-res.

Tags
british columbia, columbia, cruising