Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 16:48   #1

Florida sailboat slips/waterfront property

Does anyone have any insight in their Florida markets that has knowledge on sailboat friendly slippage or waterfront property that is for sale or areas I should look into? I would like to be able to rent/lease it/them out when not in use. I would like to buy and hold this for a long time. Any feedback is appreciated!
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 21:07   #2

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Re: Florida sailboat slips/waterfront property

We have lived waterfront in different areas of Florida for over 30 years....
Do you want a dwelling, empty land or just a slip.....
You can now just purchase slips in many areas of Florida and the marina management rents the slip when you are absent and takes a percentage... key west comes to mind.
You can also buy an empty lot and just put a dock on it...rent the slips when absent
You can buy the typical waterfront home with boat slips and rent the home and slips together or separately while absent.
We currently live in Stuart on the east coat because we liked the proximity to the Bahamas. Now our sailboat is in the Pacific, so it doesn’t matter. Some lovely spots on the west coast, if Gulf of Mexico sailing appeals to you. The waterfront market always seems to be good, with prices much higher in south Florida.....like Ft Lauderdale and Miami...so budget is a consideration. We have made money on every waterfront home we have purchased and sold.
One factor you must consider.....like last week....is Florida is hurricane alley. This means higher home insurance rates, higher boat insurance rates, and docks and many waterfront structures cannot be insured. Despite Dorian missing us, we lost the T head end of our dock last week to storm surge. Just a few things for you to consider.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:44   #3

All great information! I’m open to all options but it still needs to make financial sense. The slip only options that I have seen have been really high and doesn’t sound all that great financially (so far). I’m not overly concerned about the initial cash flow as I anticipate the appreciation and eventual personal use to be were I capitalize on later. I’ve been thinking about canals on the Southwest coast mostly due to affordability but I’m open to any location. I’ve thought about your area on the southwest side for the Bahamas aspect but like you said it’s pretty pricey. The other piece that I’m conscious of is we are in an interesting time economically speaking.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:22   #4

Boat: Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnautilus View Post
You can now just purchase slips in many areas of Florida and the marina management rents the slip when you are absent and takes a percentage... key west comes to mind.
You can also buy an empty lot and just put a dock on it...rent the slips when absent
You can buy the typical waterfront home with boat slips and rent the home and slips together or separately while absent.
We currently live in Stuart on the east coat because we liked the proximity to the Bahamas. Now our sailboat is in the Pacific, so it doesn’t matter. Some lovely spots on the west coast, if Gulf of Mexico sailing appeals to you. The waterfront market always seems to be good, with prices much higher in south Florida.....like Ft Lauderdale and Miami...so budget is a consideration. We have made money on every waterfront home we have purchased and sold.
One factor you must consider.....like last week....is Florida is hurricane alley. This means higher home insurance rates, higher boat insurance rates, and docks and many waterfront structures cannot be insured. Despite Dorian missing us, we lost the T head end of our dock last week to storm surge. Just a few things for you to consider.
I would like to know more about this. I am considering buying a larger yacht and would like to do refit and get ready for a long passage. Am considering moving to Orlando for my home base and would like to sort a marina/slip out too. Any advice or contacts would be helpful.
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnautilus View Post
I would like to know more about this. I am considering buying a larger yacht and would like to do refit and get ready for a long passage. Am considering moving to Orlando for my home base and would like to sort a marina/slip out too. Any advice or contacts would be helpful.

I'm currently based in the SF Bay area but am in a good position to move and change my lifestyle. I'm trying to figure out slip fees in FL to be honest. Here they are around $400/month for a 36ft'er.

I don't understand the $2/ft nomenclature. Could someone explain this to me please. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2019, 15:10   #6

Sorry for the multiple posts guys. The Cruiserforum server seems to have crashed when I was editing my post.

Bottom-line.... Trying to figure out the costs of slips for a 36ft'er in Florida. Don't really mind where but somewhere safe and cheap where I can work on the boat. Closer to Orlando would be better but I'm pretty flexible. Buying a slip somewhere is an option depending on prices. Again flexible with where.
Old 03-10-2019, 16:49   #7

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Cruising dog.....Orlando is in the center of the state, as far away from any shoreline as possible....except a few small lakes......
As I discussed before, many alternatives exist.
In a standard commercial marina on the east coast, $400 a month for a 36 footer would be on the cheap side. Also many marinas in FL have live aboard restrictions or extra charges.
Also, working on the boat may come with complications. A lot of work can be done, but usually restrictions are placed on any grinding, glassing, painting, welding or messy work. It varies by marina and location.
I currently have a 36’ powerboat at Indiantown Marina...google that as it is a good working marina with cheap prices. Will give you an idea of rates.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:38   #8

Florida is a big state -- more coastline than any other state, except Alaska. That means there is a lot of variation from one area to another. Orlando is NOT on the coast, so definitely would not be my first choice.

I like the Gulf coast, which is why I live in Tampa. The marinas around here are generally affordable, though I think you might find prices slightly lower up in the panhandle. Southwest (Ft Myers/Marco Island) and Northeast (Jacksonville/St Augustine) will be a little higher, but still reasonable. The most expensive area will be Southeast (Miami/Ft Lauderdale) and The Keys.

The dollars/foot nomenclature is pretty simple, though there is some variation. For example, in the Tampa area, most marinas seem to charge around $10/foot. So, 36 foot boat, $360 per month. Simple math.

The catch is that some marinas charge based on the size of the slip; with a 36' boat they might let you stay in a 35' slip, and charge you for that (they probably would NOT let you use a 30' slip). Or they might say the slip has to fully contain the boat, so they would require you to rent a 40' slip. And, of course, the amenities available will vary greatly, which will affect the price.

You just have to do your research, and decide what sort of trade-offs you want to make. Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:45   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Carrabelle has a great port, immediate gulf access, full services within walking distance, and village life different from over-developed Florida. Waterfront homes on stilts are about $350K up, interior lots $15K and up, slips below $400 a month. There's an entire marina on the market right now.
Old 26-12-2019, 19:43   #10

I appreciate all the info! I must not have received the notifications. I’m still very interested in leads if anyone comes across any that make financial sense.
Old 26-12-2019, 20:02   #11

Florida sailboat slips/waterfront property

I would like to keep it under 200k ish and be able to accommodate a boat in the mid 40’ range.
Old 26-12-2019, 23:26   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

How about some areas with land for sale cheap where I can get a boat with a 4' draft in?

Old Florida farm country. Places people don't want to live.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 04:29   #13
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

A friend is selling a 2/2 condo with a 65’ dock on a canal. The canal is wide enough for a cat.
Located up the New River in Fort Lauderdale, gated community called Rio Nuevo. You can rent it after 2 years of ownership.
$265k
Old 27-12-2019, 04:53   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I own a slip in Ocean Club Marina in Port Canaveral. I know they have slips available for sale. Also, there is a yacht club next door. Both allow liveaboards.

From Orlando it is a close as a 30 minute drive or as long as an hour or more, depending on where in Orlando you live.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 05:17   #15

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE TAXES AND INSURANCE. Any house that is coastal will have HIGH insurance costs. Like $5K/yr for homeowners (perhaps more if you are renting), flood (which only covers first 250K), and wind insurance- yes that's separate from flood and homeowners. And then taxes. Florida has no income tax, so property tax largely floats the boat. Nonresidents get hosed on appreciation which is capped for residents. Condos have HOA fees that about equal slip rent.

I keep my boat at someone else's private dock. $275 per month which is a good deal, $3300 per year. As much as I lust after a waterfront house and my own dock (and I can afford it), it makes no financial sense. I'll rent and put my capital to better use. Maybe after the next Florida real estate collapse, I will do something, but it would make more sense to sell when prices rise again.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida, rope, sail, sailboat, water