Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2021, 14:43   #1

Catamaran Slip Bay Area California

We’re looking to get a catamaran slip anywhere in the Bay Area, but there is so much contradictory info out there.
Do I have to fill out a separate waitlist/fee for each harbor? For Sf alone, there seem to be how many harbors each with a separate waitlist?

What harbor would you recommend for a cat (45-50‘). I’m willing to go as low as Santa Cruz...

What are other options, other than waitlist? Buy a slip/boat - sink the boat in the pacific and put in your own vessel?

What if I end up with a berth bigger than the boat that I’ll eventually buy? Will I lose my slip?

Apologies for the many noob questions but it’s surprisingly hard to get answers to all these questions 🥴
Kalle Wirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 17:13   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Catamaran Slip Bay Area California

There are not a lot of slips anywhere in the Bay Area that can accommodate large cats. You will have to contact each marina individually.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:47   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Kalle, I was a bit hesitant to post here because, well, our boat is headed down to the Bay this summer and we've been doing this exact dance. Selfish - I know. But,,,

Richmond Marina Bay Yacht Harbor has a 50' and a 60' end-tie available for immediate move-in.

Berkeley Marina has a 50' and a 52' available for immediate move in, with the caveat that the 50' is part of their next dock replacement section so will be without power later this year and you may have to move for a while.

Alameda Grand Marina has a 70' end-tie but won't put anything wider than 25' on it. Only available for 3 months (not a permanent home).

The City of Oakland marinas have had two cat spots (mid 40s) empty as late as last month (have not checked recently).

Alameda Ballena Bay has ~400' of side tie used for transient berthing that they are willing to rent for permanent berthing. $$$$ (most expensive we found).

Alameda Marina Village, Alameda Marina, and Fortmann all reported no spots.

Wasn't looking outside the Easy Bay, but from that sampling it is not impossible (at the moment) to find a cat berth.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 13:24   #4

Dsanduril, can’t wrap my head around your generosity of sharing all this info. Both in terms of research time that you’ve had to put in and also the risk of lowering your own chances for a berth. We won’t be a competitor for slots in the near future bc we’re in the earliest stages of planning and don’t even have a vessel yet.
But this precise info (even though some of it will change in the future) about different harbors is so immensely helpful.
May I ask where you’re currently at? Are you planning on relocating permanently?
Kalle Wirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 19:39   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalle Wirsch View Post
Dsanduril, can’t wrap my head around your generosity of sharing all this info. Both in terms of research time that you’ve had to put in and also the risk of lowering your own chances for a berth. We won’t be a competitor for slots in the near future bc we’re in the earliest stages of planning and don’t even have a vessel yet.
But this precise info (even though some of it will change in the future) about different harbors is so immensely helpful.
May I ask where you’re currently at? Are you planning on relocating permanently?
Hello Kalle, I’m thinking Dsanduril is from the Petersburg Alaska area. He helped me decide which marina I ended up in too. I’ll be watching your thread watching for Dsanduril reply.

Good luck Kalle and you could always send Dsanduril a private message, if you get no reply on your thread.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 20:00   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

We are currently in Petersburg. It has been a lovely couple of years. Headed down to Wrangell in 10 days or so (turns out catamaran haulouts are easier to get and a lot cheaper) then onward to the Bay. Semi-permanent, time to refill the cruising kitty and the Bay Area, as expensive as it is offers some good opportunities. And we have a lot of family around.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 22:43   #7

We keep our large cat at Coyote Point Marina in San Mateo. It's fairly affordable, if shallow. I'm not sure if there are any end ties available at the moment.
resistor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Berth, cal, california, catamaran, san francisco, slip, waitlist