Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2018, 09:03   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Best low-maintenance auto to leave at boat?

One issue I had doing this in the past myself was rust. My car rusted completely out being parked at marina. Everything was falling apart. Exhaust, suspension, various metal fittingson the engine, etc.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 09:34   #17

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

1990 ish Isuzu rodeo or trooper with the GM v-6. Runs forever and always got 20mpg. Easy to fix.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 10:01   #18

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.
Those are solid and reliable used vehicles, but the problem is that everyone knows that and they are about the two most sought after older vehicles on the road. That means they hold their value for resale. You really want something that others do not want as a second car, work vehicle, or car for a college kid. I thought the Astro van was a good thought. Look around and see what does not hold its value so well, but still gets a reasonable reliability rating from Consumer Reports.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 11:07   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Drop the 4WD requirement and your options expand, why do you want 4 WD?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 11:30   #20

Re #19:

Yes. The OP sez "northern WA". Nowhere there - in the lowlands where marinas tend to be, nowhere twixt Vancouver BC and Seattle - is there a requirement for 4WD.

However, if wintertime visits to Mt.Rainier, Mt. Baker or other ski resorts are contemplated, 4WD is almost mandatory. There are places on the main Trans-Canada Highway, such as from Hope BC to Merritt, BC on the Coquihalla Highway, where one simply shouldn't go in winter without 4WD.

US90 over Snoqualmie Pass can be pretty snarly too :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 12:18   #21

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
US90 over Snoqualmie Pass can be pretty snarly too
It will be interesting to hear what the OP has to say about 4WD. So far, he has described keeping a vehicle at a marina in NW Washington and flying in from the Midwest when he visits his boat. On the face of it, that doesn't sound like driving over Snoqualmie Pass in winter.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 12:28   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Re #19:

Yes. The OP sez "northern WA". Nowhere there - in the lowlands where marinas tend to be, nowhere twixt Vancouver BC and Seattle - is there a requirement for 4WD.

However, if wintertime visits to Mt.Rainier, Mt. Baker or other ski resorts are contemplated, 4WD is almost mandatory. There are places on the main Trans-Canada Highway, such as from Hope BC to Merritt, BC on the Coquihalla Highway, where one simply shouldn't go in winter without 4WD.

US90 over Snoqualmie Pass can be pretty snarly too :-)

TrentePieds
in 50 years I have rarely seen where one needed 4wd to drive over Snoqualmie.
Most view winter to not be sailing weather. ( for me its the best time wind wise.)
just wear a coat .
Old 28-10-2018, 05:39   #23

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

The fuel stabilizer (Stabil) is essential as is a battery cut-off switch. Leaving for long periods, you will likely need a small solar panel to keep charged or change out to a small gel cell otherwise you battery will discharge and die quickly. Keep in mind that ALL recent cars have parasitic draws on the electrical system. And a small air pump for those low/flat tires you find when you return.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 07:14   #24
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Battery isolator works if unused for only a month or two.

But yes little solar in the windshield helps.

But rental / taxi / uber would be better if it's less than three times more expensive per year.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 07:59   #25

Rental/Taxi/uber are not conveniently available at every marina in the PNW or in B.C. There is much to be said for having a clunker readily to hand right IN the marina. Particularly as a one gets older and begins to find a five mile hike to the supermarket or a three hundred foot climb up an escarpment increasingly little to one's taste.

All over the PNW and B.C. there are fascinating historic sites that cannot be got to by means other than one's own car. We cruise alright, but we also treat the boat as a pre-paid hotel room when the mood strikes to go investigating our wonderful province. To do that, if one has to fly in from such desolate places as, say, Calgary or Fargo, it is essential to have one's own car at the marina.

If one comes to the boat three or four times a year, the keeping a clunker operational is really not a problems at all. Gas doesn't go stale in a mere three months. The draws on the battery are dealt with by simply keeping a 1/2" wrench in the glove compartment and disconnecting/connecting as required. No need for retrofitted switches or other fancy geegaws.

As I said above, my OWNERSHIP COSTS (i.e. costs sans running expenses) has been a hunnert buxamonth for a 7-passenger van in good nick. Insurance costs can be handled (at least in my jurisdiction) on Temporary Operating Permits. All-in-all, a very good deal in my opinion. How far can you go by taxi for a hunnert bux?

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 10:31   #26

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
if one has to fly in from such desolate places as, say, Calgary or Fargo, it is essential to have one's own car at the marina.
as someone with a home in the desolation of a Calgary suburb, and a boat on the island, I can assure you that "essential" is overstating it.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 10:31   #27

Low-end NISSAN world car, little Versa is reliable and if you stay away from any CVT you are good to go. The best options are no options at all except the AT. 6'2" I can just about access the little box with my head attached. They are all 4 doors with room in the rear for full sized people and have a large trunk.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:06   #28

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

My vote for minivan: cheap, max space for people and cargo, not particularly attractive to thieves. I have a 2000 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Town&Country (all the same) with 150,000+ miles still going strong with 3.3 6 cylinder. Mechanics tell me to avoid the 3.0 engine.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:14   #29

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I've got a 1996 toyota 4runner. 4x4. Reliable, comfortable. Located in Seattle. Would be willing to sell
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 13:25   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I've got a 1996 toyota 4runner. 4x4. Reliable, comfortable. Located in Seattle. Would be willing to sell
If hes not interested i am what marina are you in?
I have a 50 bestway at the aqua verda in the cut.

Tags
boat, maintenance