Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2022, 14:16   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Milford Haven to English Channel

Hi
I am planning to sail in April possibly May, from Milford Haven, around Lands End to the south coast.
Just wondering what the best option would be as there are a few ways to tackle this,
1) Head across to Padstow possibly taking in Lundy along the way. Advantage is more day light sailing, Disadvantage it’s longer. and still leaves a long way to go across the surfing north Cornwall coast. to get around Lands End
2) Head to the Silly Isles - Disadvantage is further from the coast bigger sea state possibly. Long first Leg, but also still a long way from the mainland.
3) Head closer to Lands End and have the option of a south coast harbour after getting round. Also Long first Leg.
I know in weather I have all 3 plans as options, but which would you choose, mind the boats a CAT and only 25ft, If I start in April I will have to put into safe harbour during the week, Easter being the main passage time being a 4 day weekend.
I do have a week but that’s at the end of May curtesy of the Queens extra bank holiday this year.
Happy to listen to anyone with this passage experience.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 14:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Milford Haven to English Channel

I have done Bangor to Falmouth.. left Bangor in the am and did it non stop.
Passed close to Lands End to keep inside the shipping lanes, which you would definitely run into if you head out to the Scillies.
The Cats okay for the trip, brought a Twins 26 up from Santander solo and she took a F7 gusting + in her stride crossing the Channel to the UK.
Leave 1hr before high water and get a good run S with the tide into the outer edges of the Bristol channel.. as long as the wind is not from points S you should be fine.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:58   #3

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Re: Milford Haven to English Channel

Any idea how long it took from South Wales to Lands End? as the boat you mentioned is mine is effectively the complete redesign of the same boat.
Yeah as long as the wind is not from the south, if it is then Padstow may make more sense.
I haven’t looked at the currents yet as I haven’t got my charts with me - They are on the boat.
Think I will try and miss the Silly Isles then, unless I go in June so have more time.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
english, english channel, passage info: to & from