Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 09:47   #31

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Re: LOA Vs actual chargeable length

At my marina, like many, the fairways are sized to be workable with the boats that fit in the slips adjacent I recently watched a new arrival learn this the hard way. With a big bowsprit and a dinghy on Davits the boat simply wouldn’t have room to turn around in the fairway. Especially since a few other boats mis-stated their length also and stick out into the fairway. The attempts to turn into their slip turned into a number of collisions. While I bet it would be possible to squeeze in with skill it would be a lot more forgiving if a bigger slip that was sized for the whole boat was reserved. And of course now there are no more larger slips free. Sometimes it pays to make sure the marina knows your full length overall with all the addons before you arrive.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:33   #32

Boat: Celestial 48

In our marina they measure the overall length and you are charged either the dock length or the boat length whichever is longer. While our ketch is a "Celestial 48", measuring from our bow to our davits we are 54 which is too long for the fifty foot slips and too short for the 65. we are currently in a 55 ft slip and we pay for 55. They will not put a boat into a slip that is too long for them and will not put a 50 ft boat into a 45 slip. Back in the day the measurement was more cavalier - lots of boats were under measured or used a smaller slip- but now marinas have gotten wiser and more profit oriented which is understandable-
Alawaiorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:55   #33

Thanks all for your responses.I know that the marina will actually measure the length of the boat.I was trying more to get a feel for the accuracy of published LOAs ,if a 13.72 is likely (with normal factory attachments ) to be longer ,pushing it into 14-15 m catagory.As I can’t seem to get a definitive answer I’ve decided to play it safe and go for a boat at 12.4 m keeping all ongoing costs down .There seemed on research to be a leap in costs when length exceeded 14m .
condo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 14:40   #34

Boat: Hunter 376 Sloop; '48 Chris-Craft DLX Runabout
Send a message via MSN to John Murphy 5

Contrary to what denverdOn said, Marinas and boat mfrs. measure LOA from the farthest forward to the farthest aft part of a boat. EX: A boat with a drop-down stern swim platform will be measured from the front point of the bowsprit to the outside edge of the lowered platform. One can argue that LWL or Length on Deck is a more equitable measurement. But, money is money !!
John Murphy 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 00:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by condo View Post
Does anyone have a monohull around 13.7 published LOA e.g. Dufour 455 or Sun Odyssey 45.2 that can tell me the actual length. I will be buying a boat shortly and my only experience of this issue has been a Bavaria 42 LOA 12.9 but actual 13.06 and Sun Odyssey 45.2 LOA 13.74 actual length 14.15. I received a quote from a marina quoting the LOA and was told that the boat will be physically measured on arrival.I would like to keep the boat under 14 m .Are all the manufacturers LOAs measured to the GRP? Do I need a boat to be well under 14 (around 13.4) to have any hope of keeping it under 14.I'm very interested in the actual length of a Dufour 455 but any comparison would be useful?
My Dufour 455GL is registrated with LOA 13.5mt
Skipper Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, marina & port info