Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2023, 12:09   #1

Clubs in Northern Germany?

I sort of have no idea what I need to look out for in terms of clubs, but I just want to regularly be around sailors, go sailing, go on cruising trips and possibly even do some racing. I currently never stepped foot on a sailboat but I plan on getting my SBF shortly and eventually go down the RYA route for further certification.

I live somewhat in the middle of the Baltic coast and Hamburg, so I have 2 questions;

1. Would it be better to join a club on the Elbe or the Baltic coast?
2. I am currently leaning towards the latter with regards to the previous question and focusing on the Lübecker Bucht (specifically around Travemünde, Niendorf, etc) for now mostly due to proximity. Anybody a member or have experience with any of the clubs out there? Do you have any recommendations?

Bonus question: some clubs like the one in Hamburg, Kiel or Lübeck boast a long history, they organise some massive sailing events and so on. Is it worth focusing on these clubs? I mean, what would the advantages be joining these clubs vs a smaller one?
jsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 12:58   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Clubs in Northern Germany?

When you do your SBF-See I'd ask around with your instructor and fellow students and get an idea of what they might recommend. Germany has great clubs, and many of them have a long and distinguished history!

I'd do the Baltic any time. The Ostsee is great, and challenging enough for anyone.

I did my SBF-See and was impressed at much of the curriculum (but some of the material was typically German - who needs to know the reporting period for reporting inadvertently discharge garbage in a national park?). The SSS and SHS are also excellent training and what I learned there is not inferior in any way to the RYA Offshore Yachtmaster. I'd only go the RYA and Yachtmaster route if you need accreditation internationally or plan on working in the industry.
Old 10-06-2023, 15:39   #3

Re: Clubs in Northern Germany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
When you do your SBF-See I'd ask around with your instructor and fellow students and get an idea of what they might recommend. Germany has great clubs, and many of them have a long and distinguished history!

I'd do the Baltic any time. The Ostsee is great, and challenging enough for anyone.

I did my SBF-See and was impressed at much of the curriculum (but some of the material was typically German - who needs to know the reporting period for reporting inadvertently discharge garbage in a national park?). The SSS and SHS are also excellent training and what I learned there is not inferior in any way to the RYA Offshore Yachtmaster. I'd only go the RYA and Yachtmaster route if you need accreditation internationally or plan on working in the industry.

Thanks for the info! We’ve been heading up north nearly every other day now that the weather is warming up and I’ve been getting the itch to be on the water more and more.

The only reason I was thinking of going down the RYA route was mostly because of the language. I mean, my German is fairly good, but it’s a bit of a struggle going through study material (or bureaucracy for that matter).

As for the SBF-See, I know that some clubs do that either internally or with a partner school at a discount, so I was hoping to take advantage of that benefit as well, but if you have a place you would recommend, I’d gladly check it out!

Did you also do it on the Baltic coast?
jsal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Germany