Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 20:52   #1

4 in 5 UK Boat Owners May Quit Cruising Due to Post-Brexit Schengen Rules

4 in 5 UK Boat Owners May Quit Cruising Due to Post-Brexit Schengen Rules

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...chengen-rules/

Boaters from the United Kingdom will be eligible to visit some famous sailing places, such as the Spanish coast, Greek islands, and the French Canals, only for 90 days for every 180 days, under the current Schengen Zone rules.

Based on a study in which participated Cruising Association (CA) persons who keep their boats on canals and rivers of the Schengen Zone countries, 80 per cent of these boaters are likely to sell their crafts and abolish cruising altogether. Another option is to move their base to a country that does not belong to Europe’s Schengen Area.

. . .

The CA initiated a 180-day Visa Campaign in order to encourage individual EU states to reciprocate the UK provision to permit EU citizens to spend uninterruptedly 180 days per visit in Britain.

Since the United Kingdom is officially out of the European Union, its citizens are treated as third-country citizens. While the UK was part of the European Union, its citizens could stay in the rest of the Member States as long as they wished to, but that is no longer the case.

Being a [damned] Yankee, I got no skin in the game as to Brexit and Schengen relationships and immigration protocols. This is one of the harsh attributes of Brexiting, which we did a bit over 244 years ago. The UKers now being treated by the Schengen like others in the world.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 00:26   #2

Re: 4 in 5 UK Boat Owners May Quit Cruising Due to Post-Brexit Schengen Rules

At the moment this is a real problem I know a few Brits who are seriously doubting their choices. Same goes for Brits owning an apartment-owners in Spain. Lets see if the market gets flooded with good deals.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
At the moment this is a real problem I know a few Brits who are seriously doubting their choices. Same goes for Brits owning an apartment-owners in Spain. Lets see if the market gets flooded with good deals.
Always an issue when you are a citizen or resident of one country, but desire to visit or live elsewhere for much of the year.

The long winters of Montana sometimes make us desire to get away from The Last Best Place, and I know some snowbirders that disappear for all but three of the four seasons, those four seasons being June, July, August and Winter. There being those 90 days in any rolling year where one would never desire to be away from Montana [except if fire season arises during those 90 days, then being elsewhere is a common desire due to the thick smoke when one hopes for an early onset of winter so as to dampen the fires, cold weather and snow being the only realistic means to end many of the larger fires which are left to burn until the sustained change in weather].
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:27   #4

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

The operative word is “may”. This so-called survey is meaningless.
I may marry a 20-year old and I may buy a new Bentley, I also may tell a opinion surveyor that I may not sail anywhere ever again.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:33   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The Spanish holiday resorts are in dire straights at the moment following Covid and now this. Wouldn't surprise me if EU countries suddenly started issuing lots of 12 months visas for anyone who can show a clean record, a modest income and private medical insurance.

I also think you will find alot of the expats are already ahead of the problem and now have dual citizenship, they have after all had 5 years notice. Boatma61 on here is one worth asking.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
[B]

Based on a study in which participated Cruising Association (CA) persons who keep their boats on canals and rivers of the Schengen Zone countries, 80 per cent of these boaters are likely to sell their crafts and abolish cruising altogether.
Slicing the survey sample pretty thin. Only members of Cruising Association who happen to keep their boats on canals and rivers.

These are most likely canal boats and don't ever see open water. Ask those in sailboats cruising the Med and I suspect you'll get much different survey results.

Also the '......are likely...' makes much of this equally useless. If Diesel goes to $8/gal I'm likely to sell my boat. Then again, I'm equally likely to be talked out of selling it as well.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:21   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

One can only hope ;-) More space on the quay for meeeeee.......
Old 08-04-2021, 10:47   #8

Sweet, when they put their boats up for sale I'll buy one cheap lol. Hard to feel bad for them, the people voted for Brexit, now they have to deal with the positive and negative consequences of that decision.
Nicholas_nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 4 in 5 UK Boat Owners May Quit Cruising Due to Post-Brexit Schengen Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The Spanish holiday resorts are in dire straights at the moment following Covid and now this. Wouldn't surprise me if EU countries suddenly started issuing lots of 12 months visas for anyone who can show a clean record, a modest income and private medical insurance.

I also think you will find alot of the expats are already ahead of the problem and now have dual citizenship, they have after all had 5 years notice. Boatma61 on here is one worth asking.

Pete
A lot of expats in Spain have been in denial since Cameron first announced the Referendum.. "It'll never happen"
Then when to their shock the Brexit vote won they were.. "It'll never happen or even if it does it'll be so soft it'll be like we never left"..
Theresa May and Hammond nearly pulled that one off.. but Bouncy Boris was resoundingly elected with a big majority reinforcing the Brexit vote yet again.. despite him making a pigs ear of it since.. someone needs to tell him..
"You can please some people all the time and all the people some of the time but.. He can't please all of the people all of the time.." just do what's good for the country.
Anyway.. many expats were too stupid to get their residency sorted while it was easy and largely unconditional... while others like myself saw the writing on the wall 10yrs ago and did the business..
As far as I am concerned all the bleating and whinging about being hard done by is a self inflicted injury brought about by Stupidity, arrogance and laziness..
Zero sympathy for the guy working and living in Spain for twenty years who is bitching he can only spend 90 days a time with his EU born wife in Spain.. he had 20yrs to sort it.
Viva Brexit..

PS; a plane load arrived in Alicante a few days back and they were turned round and flown back to the UK on the same plane.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:57   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

So, Boatman, stop holding back and tell us what you really think ;-)

As an American, I can't actually make any judgements anymore as we are more Effed up then anyone. Probably always were but I was blind to it. Well, I'm heading back to my happy place and will be so so happy to spend my 90 days out of 180 there.

Boatman, have you heard anything about being able to arrive as a non-eu resident into Portugal if your coming directly from the Azores? Peter Cafe and Faial Harbor Authority have confirmed we can arrive there. We're still two months away from any potential mainland arrival and I guess Gibraltar will take us.
Old 08-04-2021, 15:54   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 4 in 5 UK Boat Owners May Quit Cruising Due to Post-Brexit Schengen Rules

You should be just fine coming from Horta.. your still 'in country'.. I assume your vaccinated but likely you'll have to enter and anchor with the yellow bandana till your cleared in unlike the old days when one just tied up at the Reception jetty.
Looks pretty empty since Tres Hombres left last week..

Untitled Document

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Always an issue when you are a citizen or resident of one country, but desire to visit or live elsewhere for much of the year.

The long winters of Montana sometimes make us desire to get away from The Last Best Place, and I know some snowbirders that disappear for all but three of the four seasons, those four seasons being June, July, August and Winter. There being those 90 days in any rolling year where one would never desire to be away from Montana [except if fire season arises during those 90 days, then being elsewhere is a common desire due to the thick smoke when one hopes for an early onset of winter so as to dampen the fires, cold weather and snow being the only realistic means to end many of the larger fires which are left to burn until the sustained change in weather].

Had to evacuate my house last summer during the Bridger canyon fire.....YIKES! Thankfully that snow storm saved my canyon
larsfforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:47   #13

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

There is another side to this. We saw the writing on the wall years ago as well. My 40+ years in UK but Australian born wife started getting grief at UK airports when coming home from short holidays in Spain. Her "indefinite leave to remain" stamp in her Australian passport was missed by 1 Border Force official who suddenly got very unpleasant indeed. Politicians promises to limit immigrant numbers plus unlimited immigration free movement allowed from EU meant they were cracking down on people from the rest of the world all of a sudden. My wife took UK citizenship so has dual nationality now. No big deal - we paid a lawyer about £1500 in fees to sort the paperwork.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:47   #14

Boat: Morgan Giles 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
One can only hope ;-) More space on the quay for meeeeee.......
Typical attitude of a catamaran owner.
PSC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:09   #15

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsfforsberg View Post
Had to evacuate my house last summer during the Bridger canyon fire.....YIKES! Thankfully that snow storm saved my canyon
Thread drift I lived in the Bozone 18 years but moved to Washington State 6 years ago. I miss those powder days but I mostly played up at Big Sky Resort.
I always thought Brexit would be a big doodoo pile that would take years to sort out. So here we are. I hate being right all (most) (occaisionally) the time.

Tags
boat, cruising, government regulations, rule