Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 19:18   #1

Where to find parts

Since there are no warehouses like Home Depot, Defender and West Marine in Hong Kong, finding even basic parts like tools and spares an issue.

Decades ago, a "Yachties Guide" was constructed and maintained until recently. It's a very good starting point, so have a look at that attached file.

Reclamation Street / Shanghai Street and that general area South of Langham in Mong Kok is where I do most of my shopping for tools and certain parts. Otherwise, Aberdeen on HK Island has some more specific stuff like life wests. Storm Force in Wan Chai the local "West Marine" of HK, although location isn't too convenient when in the Gold Coast.

Where are your goto places for parts and tools?
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
re: Where to find parts

File not attached.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
File not attached.
Thank you for the heads up - I did attach a PDF (is that not possible here?) I will try again, if not - host it somewhere and upload a link.

I see that after I select "Choose file" and attach it, "Attach file" changes to "Attach video"

OK, so that didn't work. Here it is as a link (try the second link, that should avoid the nagging "wait for your document to be prepared to download" countdown ...:

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2018/03/...hk-2016-05-24/

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2018/03/...2016-05-24.pdf

Gord, can you edit my original post and place that link in there, please? Oh wait, you are "Emeritus", gotta remember that ...
Old 05-03-2018, 05:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

For general items such as shackles, pumps, ironmongery, fenders and mooring lines, i usually find them in Lee Kee Maine in Sai Kung (21C Tak Lung Back St, Sai Kung) coz they carry wide range of items at reasonable prices. They don’t carry products specifically for sailboat. What a pity!
KD Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Chu View Post
For general items such as shackles, pumps, ironmongery, fenders and mooring lines, i usually find them in Lee Kee Maine in Sai Kung (21C Tak Lung Back St, Sai Kung) coz they carry wide range of items at reasonable prices. They don’t carry products specifically for sailboat. What a pity!
Is the quality OK? As long as they are truly stainless then it's fine with me. A lot of the tool shops sell some inferior stuff that might not be good for critical equipment on board.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:54   #6

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS

hi

if down south, for ropes and fenders Ming Kee in Ap Lei Chau is the best, they have good quality stuff also, including Italian SS chain. the son speaks quite good English and they are very friendly

also for parts, along the same street there is a shop that has all the spare you might need, including service kits, and if not they will order for you and the price is not bad, dont remember the name right now, but it is in Ap Lei Chau main street after the MTR gate, has a very large plastic curtain and tons of spares of all kinds, and again, the son is quite friendly and speaks great English

cheers
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts