Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Asia
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 06:06   #1

Transporting goods to Vietnam

Hi,

My wife and I are moving from living in the UK to moving on a new live aboard Catamaran.

It’s being built in Vietnam and the scheduled handover date is mid Feb next year. Obviously the actual date will be completely Covid dependent.

Anyway, we’ll obviously be flying out with baggage of clothes, but we’re really unclear on our best options for transporting our additional stuff in terms of cost and a trustworthy carrier.

We’re limiting our excess baggage to deep sea fishing tackle, diving gear excl tanks, power tools and some electrics. I’m guessing total weight will be about 100kg, which can be packaged as one or individual packs.

Sorry for the lengthy thread, but I wanted to ensure that I provided as much basic info as required to request advice or guidance.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers.
Corrigano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 06:54   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Transporting goods to Vietnam

We just sent five large 30kg boxes (150kg total) from the UK to USA with the service Sendmybag.com. They are agents for multiple carriers. In our case it was actually FedEx that picked the boxes up and delivered, but sendmybags was almost half the cost of what FedEx themselves quoted for the same thing.

Congratulations on the new boat.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrigano View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are moving from living in the UK to moving on a new live aboard Catamaran.

It’s being built in Vietnam and the scheduled handover date is mid Feb next year. Obviously the actual date will be completely Covid dependent.

Anyway, we’ll obviously be flying out with baggage of clothes, but we’re really unclear on our best options for transporting our additional stuff in terms of cost and a trustworthy carrier.

We’re limiting our excess baggage to deep sea fishing tackle, diving gear excl tanks, power tools and some electrics. I’m guessing total weight will be about 100kg, which can be packaged as one or individual packs.

Sorry for the lengthy thread, but I wanted to ensure that I provided as much basic info as required to request advice or guidance.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 23-11-2020, 07:17   #3

Many thanks Matt, I’ll have a look at them.

Cheers!
Old 23-11-2020, 17:15   #4

I would think you could ship a crate to the builder...and that they could help with import logistics
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 19:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
I would think you could ship a crate to the builder...and that they could help with import logistics
Thanks Skyhawk
Old 24-11-2020, 15:45   #6

Yes. Maybe the builder is importing stuff from the UK and may share a container. Might be worth asking them. You have time on your hands.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 16:10   #7
cruiser

We went through this when we bought our boson the Caribbean and moved from Canada. In the end it was about the same price, and just outright easier, to haul four bags each on the airline when we came down and pay the excess baggage fees.

We had the bags with us. No customs import fees. We could add or take away right up to the last minute. Worked quite welll
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 16:16   #8

Seriously, speak with the manufacturer. We live in Vietnam and shipping goods here can be a lengthy and costly process. Customs can be a nightmare if you don't have a good agent who has a relationship with customs here. Carry as much valuables as you can on your flight. Also, as it stands at the moment if you can get a visa to enter the country you will be required to isolate at your expense for up to 14 days. This may relax but it looks like it is not guaranteed until other countries get a grip on covid-19.
NinjaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 19:47   #9

Boat: Lagoon 500

Beware of items going missing. Used to travel to Vietnam and often items would be missing from baggage carried in the aircraft hold. Would definitely talk to the manufacturer about shipping.
AndyinAbudhabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 01:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinAbudhabi View Post
Beware of items going missing. Used to travel to Vietnam and often items would be missing from baggage carried in the aircraft hold. Would definitely talk to the manufacturer about shipping.
Really, thanks for the heads-up my friend. I will do
Old 25-11-2020, 21:32   #11

Boat: In search mode

Hi Corrigano,

Glad to help answer questions and be available to guide you thru the next few months. Been based in Saigon for many years, and active in the maritime scene in VN.

Important planning considerations needing to be handled now:
1 understanding the realities of visa process "now", a lot of restrictions in place...
2 understanding Covid testing and Quarantine protocol prior to and once arriving ...
3 Planned arrival time coincides with Vietnam's biggest and longest holiday...TET...Vietnam New Year... ( important to refer to it as their Vietnam New Year ...not chinese new year... It's a matter of national pride that they call it TET... 11-16 Feb is official holiday time. However, things begin to refocus on 'early' celebrating 2 weeks before thru at least 2 weeks after...

Have seen huge changes here in past 15 years. In beginning I was shipping in many items paying excess bag fees and via FedEx... Now you can buy most everything here, so maybe you can reduce that 100kg based on our talking together what all on that list can be obtained here...

Think it good to PM me and we can discuss more...

BTW good choice if it's a SW cat... They are a short motorbike ride from me.

Stay healthy!!

BB
VNCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equiptment & provisions, passage info: to & from, Vietnam