Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 22:16   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 38'
new yacht owner in Hong Kong needs help

this is cross-post from the Crew Wanted forum. it's actually more than just crew wanted!

I have just bought a 2008 Lagoon 380 in Hong Kong, and need to relocate it to Indonesia as soon as possible.

I am completely inexperienced with yachts, and need someone to help me get to know the boat, and to equip it for the long passage (about 12 days with luck) to Indonesia (Batam, to be exact, just across from Singapore).

The selling agent and previous owner have tried to be helpful, but I guess this is Hong Kong, and they have other demands on their time, especially when dealing with a newbie.

It doesn't help that Hong Kong is completely new to me, and getting simple things done here takes soooo much longer than in Indonesia or Singapore. (btw I am Australian born Indonesian citizen living in Jakarta.)

My funds are limited, but I am not going to scimp on equipment that is truly needed for the passage. I just need someone to show me what to buy and where.

btw, I may also be looking for crew and skipper for this passage, depending on developments.

soooo, bottom line, is there anyone in Hong Kong with time on their hands who is willing to help a newbie? I am not asking for free help; am quite willing to pay reasonable costs. All comments and suggestions appreciated!
Gary Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 23:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: new yacht owner in Hong Kong needs help

Welcome to the forum Gary..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 23:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Welcome to the forum Gary..
A qualified delivery captain should be able to help you fit her out accordingly.. you've come to the right place...
Have you gone to the yacht club and asked around?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 13:22   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

sorry if some dupe from your other thread.

You need to be ready to pay more than "reasonable costs".

A competent local in HK will cost lots more than one from your destination.

And airfare will seem like chump change by the time you're done.

In fact, you may want to fly yourself to Singapore/Batam, find your skipper (Malay / Indonesian) there and then both of you return to HK.

Of course flying in a NES international pro recommended from here is even better, but I believe your budget isn't that big, right?

You *may* just find a retired HK guy with time on their hands to help out mostly for the fun of it (my perception of your initial plan), but IMO that's as long odds as paying for your boat from winnings at Sha Tin.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 14:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Hi Gary,
I am a professional skipper with many years of experience on Sailing Yachts and Catamarans (also lagoons)
I would be happy to help you with the delivery, i am immediately available until beginning of september.
If you would like to discuss please send me a private message.
All the.best
Fabio
indodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 17:55   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
A qualified delivery captain should be able to help you fit her out accordingly.. you've come to the right place...
Have you gone to the yacht club and asked around?
thanks for your response, james! i've been in touch with a few professional delivery captains, but nothing has worked out so far. and it's not just about money.

i've been to a two yacht clubs so far -- i won't mention names -- and have been surprised at how unfriendly they are. is this a HK thing? or maybe i just have to try others.

actually i may be okay for a delivery skipper at this point, as a result of my postings here on this forum. response has been very positive, from experienced and qualified cruisers who actually know the region. unfortunately, all are overseas and won't be in HK for another week or more.

my main problem is just getting someone to show me the ins and outs of the boat, and perhaps some local information on getting alternative moorings/anchorage until i am able to leave.
Gary Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hong Kong, yacht