Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 18:48   #1

Windows 10 free release

Windows 10 is available as a free release. Is it compatible with Open CPN software & Global Star Model BU-353-S4 GPS Antenna/mouse?
Paul von Wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:42   #2

Re: Windows 10 free release

Windows 10 is not available yet.....probably July 2015.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can download the "insider preview" version now. I haven't tried it but I sure hope it's better than Win8!

Download Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:00   #4

Anything's better than Windows 8! After trying Windows 8 and adding a start-menu add-on and a few other tweaks, I gave up and reinstalled Windows 7.

I'd be cautious about installing the "insider preview". Keep in mind this is work in progress. To quote Microsoft,

Quote:
“The Program Services include experimental and early prerelease software. This means that you may experience occasional crashes and in rare cases data loss. To recover, you may have to reinstall your applications, the operating system, or re-flash your device. Using the Program Services on some devices may impact your warranty (check with your device provider). By participating, you agree to frequently backup your data.”
I also read somewhere that when the final release comes out, you'll have to reinstall the OS and all the apps.

Since I am skeptical that Windows 10 will actually be free and I have dozens of software applications installed, I'm not even interested in their beta testing and/or being one of the first "free upgrades". I'll wait a few months before even thinking about trying.

On that note, I just made a backup of my Windows 7 drive. I plan on restoring to another hard-drive to make sure the backup is good. If that works, I may try Windows 10 on the backup to see if there's any reason to upgrade. I don't want another repeat of the Windows 8 installation, which takes me about 1 to 2 full days to get everything right.

If all else fails, I have a good, stable, reliable Windows 7 desktop!

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:13   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Not quite ready for prime time but Win 10 group have done a good job towards getting it ready. The latest release and upgrades have been good. I am nervous over the upgrade system as it still seems a little flaky. Do not put it on a production system. I have it on a small Win 8 laptop that wasn't being used for much. I believe it is better than Win 8.1 and I think when it is released it will be a good system. One thing I noted was I tried an old USB to ethernet convertor that was lying around in my drawer. It wouldn't work and I got a msg. saying there were no drivers for it. Later I checked updates and there was a driver for the convertor and it worked. I thought that was kind of neat. The APPs that I have all work and many of them didn't a few months ago. Also all of my software, such as Open Office, works well so they have been making progress.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:15   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

And yes it is a free upgrade for licensed Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1 systems. I think it is free for the first year after release and first customer ship date.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 08:57   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Why do they need another one. New systems keep coming out every couple of years. You would think by now they could get one right and stick to it! - Yes it is a joke but it does seem that as soon as you get used to something it gets changed, sign of the times or old age?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 08:58   #8

Boat: KP 46

I have been running open CPN on windows 10. It would not install on the earlier versions, but build 10074 has no problem and it runs fine. I like it a LOT better than 8.1

I believe the test version will be good until September, and it is free but you have to have a previous version of windows to install it.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 12:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul von Wiese View Post
Windows 10 is available as a free release. Is it compatible with Open CPN software & Global Star Model BU-353-S4 GPS Antenna/mouse?
Hi, longtime lurker first time post. I work for Microsoft as part of the Windows 10 release so I thought I would speak out.

MSFT will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year.

Details are in this link: Windows 10 - Microsoft Windows

I would not run a technical preview on a mission critical system. I'd hate to see something happen to someone here due to a problem with a non-released operating system. But, by all means, try it out and if you run into issues post something on the Windows forums for the technical preview.

thanks!
lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 20:51   #10

Boat: Catalina 30 TR

I like to try different operating systems and create servers to try out applications without hosing up my computer by using VirtualBox. This way you can test drive it before deciding if you want to try it on your main computer. If you are new to visualization, give it a try. Free and easy to learn. Lots of guides out there to get you started.

I am a few years out from Sailing, but I would be happy to invest my computer knowledge now, and withdraw cruising knowledge later!

Carl
CShawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, wind