Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 14:10   #16

Boat: Beneteau 40CC
Re: Shakedown cruise FL gulf coast next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
Welcome to the Nature Coast. It's really the most wonderful of US cruising grounds, I've been sailing it for over 20 years. Your itinerary sounds great, might be a little ambitious for seven days and getting back home, consider skipping Crystal River. Remember you are in an area of skinny water, in fact it's a long way out to sailing depths from Yankee Town, and Crystal River, a lot of time getting in and out. It gets a little better the further south you go. When you make that extended trip, you need to check out Charlotte Harbor, it has many wonderful anchorages and is a great jumping off spot for a 24 hour passage to the Dry Tortugas. Then you can gunk hole your way back up the coast through Key West and and the lower keys, Little Shark River and the everglades...we are blessed with great cruising here. Welcome Aboard!
Thanks, Capt!

Crystal River is where we pulled the boat so it's probably last on the list, but also closest, and we need a high tide to get out of our slip in Yankeetown, so it may be our stop the first night if we miss the morning tide (~5 am).
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 14:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We also like Tarpon Springs. If you can move in and out of the Withlacoochee, then Tarpon Springs will be very easy. Also check out the little anchorage just inside the north end of Longboat Key that is just south of Longboat Pass. 'very nice dinghy beach and restaurant & pub. We also like to take a good weather day anchor on the east side of Egmont Key to explore the remains of Fort Dade and the State Park.
Thanks, HF

I had read about Egmont, sounds like fun, it's not very protected for the night, though, right?

F
Old 07-05-2017, 14:29   #18

Boat: Hunter 30

In the Tampa Bay Area, don't miss Gulfport and eat here Welcome to La Cote Basque Winehouse Restaurant | French and Continental Cuisine
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 14:38   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Thanks, HF

I had read about Egmont, sounds like fun, it's not very protected for the night, though, right?

F
Egmont is ideed a cool place and is OK for the night in prevailing/light winds, but dont get caught there if winds pick up and shift E-NE...Tampa Bay can get rough in that case. Though it can get a little choppy at night even in settled conditions.

Manatee River is much more protected and also a cool place, but pay very close attention on the entrance channel...it is very shallow on either side so you really have to stay in center channel. The little bay to leeward of Desoto State Park is a nice spot for the night and an easy day sail out to Egmont.

This is true of many places in W Florida...lots of narrow dredged channels you have to stay in. Fortunately they are well marked (to the point of confusion in some intersections). So study charts carefully before each leg.

All this dredging also creates lots of spoils areas...no guaranteed depth over these...so dont attempt to cross them without very current local knowledge.

Also be aware of the differences in marking between ICW and non-ICW channels. There are a few places where the ICW crosses a primary channel such that the old "red right returning" mnemonic doesnt apply...like entering Boca Grande Pass...guess how I know! 😲
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:55   #20

If you are in the Tampa Bay area I would love to meet up and show you around. Give you a ride if you need it.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 16:55   #21

We cruise this area and I'm originally from Citrus County. We've had great experiences stopping in Venice and also down at Cayo Costa. In Venice you have Fisherman's Wharf Marina which has grocery, many restaurants and a Ace Hardware within walking distance. A short walk north is a place called bayside grill with very reasonable prices and great food. All the places over the bridge and south into Venice were all very pricey. Overall one of our favorite spots. There's also a great little anchorage in Sarasota on the west side of otter key.

For near entrance to Tampa bay it's already been mentioned but Gulf Port is worth a stop if you want to come ashore for restaurants. Desoto point on Manatee River has a decent little beach but no where to eat. We like to get off the boat ever couple days.

Cayo Costa is also a great place to stop for a few nights.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 21:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtzberg View Post
If you are in the Tampa Bay area I would love to meet up and show you around. Give you a ride if you need it.
Thanks, so much MHoltzberg, I'll pm you when my schedule is firm.

F
Old 26-05-2017, 04:43   #23

Hello all-
We're back safely, experienced thin water and some problems, chief among which was a broken above waterline through-hull. We got as far south as Tarpon Springs. For more detail, I've blogged about the trip at A boy, a girl, and a boat..

Thank you for your interest.

Tags
cruise, gulf coast