Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 15:37   #1

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles
Recommendations for places to move on Florida's gulf side?

Hi everyone. I lost my job at the end of march due to COVID-19. I've been a school bus transportation consultant for 7 years, spending the last 3 years in Missouri and Tennessee for work. Now I finally have a chance to move where I want and I've been dreaming of getting out of land locked states for years. I love sailing and I think the gulf side of Florida, Specifically the region b/t Fort Myers and Tampa would be a nice location for a sailor.

I'd like to eventually get a 30 - 35' sailboat and spend time cruising around with my wife and 2 young kids whenever I can. I'm not close to retirement age so I'd still need to live close to an area with plenty of jobs so that I can find employment.

Does anyone have some good recommendations on places to live down there? My experience is mostly on the east side of the state and I lived in Pensacola for 2 years with the Navy.
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 15:50   #2

Re: Recommendations for places to move on Florida's gulf side?

Did you perhaps do a search, SandPebbles?

I distinctly remember a recent thread about good, economical Gulf Coast anchorages/ marinas... While it wouldn't provide your full answer, it would be a good place to start!

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 18:29   #3

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Did you perhaps do a search, SandPebbles?

I distinctly remember a recent thread about good, economical Gulf Coast anchorages/ marinas... While it wouldn't provide your full answer, it would be a good place to start!

Good luck,
LittleWing77
Yeah, I started there, that led me to the desired region. I just was hoping someone who actually lived there would drop some recommendations. Maybe make some good contacts out of this post as well.
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:43   #4

Oh good. That was the only idea that came to mind. Over this past week I've noticed a bit of a downturn in amount of posting and responses... perhaps as restrictions are easing, people are getting out and doing their boatwork before launch - or they're moving their boats in advance of hurricane season...

Hope you get some substantive info soon.
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:31   #5

Boat: Pearson

ft. meyers, cape coral a fair amount of canal front homes , port charlotte , englewood, clearwater, tampa is a little crowded, heavy traffic there.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:37   #6

Boat: Beneteau 343

I sail out of Panama City and the sailing is great. Here are pics from right now. As you know, the emerald coast has the best beaches. But the marina, housing, and job situation can’t compare to west coast due to Hurricane Michael and other factors. But we don’t have the nasty traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD2BC8D8-CAC4-44A1-AA4B-FAC8E8642EBA.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	214917   Click image for larger version

Name:	7C258D09-474C-40D1-A430-EED4FD1B474E.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	214918  

EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:38   #7

Boat: Bristol 35.5

sarasoto/bradenton area would be my choices
Old 12-05-2020, 08:55   #8

I suggest you look at Port Charlotte, North Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Ft. Myers, Rotonda, Punta Gorda, Venice and Sarasota (in descending order of affordability). You would have to deal with more traffic around Sarasota and Ft. Myers/N. Fort Myers/Cape Coral. If you are looking for a waterfront home suitable for keeping a sailboat, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral and Port Charlotte are the most affordable options. If you are thinking in terms of keeping your boat at a marina, then any of the communities I listed would work for you and offer great sailing. Just search the real estate sites for the best deal on a home that meets your needs.
Bibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:00   #9

Boat: Robalo R245

If you like the Tampa area, check out Gulfport. It is an eclectic little community on Boca Ciega Bay with access to the Gulf and ICW. Has a really nice and reasonable city owned marina. Nice restaurants and arts community. Easy access to St. Pete and Tampa by car. Lived there for six years and commuted to Tampa airport for work. Kept our 31' sailboat at the marina. If you want to go further south, check out Cape Coral. It has 400 miles of canals, not all of which are sailboat or Gulf accessible. We have lived there now for six years and love it.
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:02   #10

Boat: Tartan 37C

I too am going to relocate to SW Florida, at lease for the colder months to start. I have a 1980 Tartan 37 that I will bring down the ICW. I believe that I will relocate to a Condo or Co-op, not a single family home. Will anyone be able to recommend a Condo or Co-op with a marina as either part of the complex or with a marina within a mile or so? I anticipate a lot of coastal cruising all along the Gulf coast to western Texas.
At this point in my life, I do not hesitate to " order the good wine" because life is just too short.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:02   #11

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandPebbles View Post
Hi everyone. I lost my job at the end of march due to COVID-19. I've been a school bus transportation consultant for 7 years, spending the last 3 years in Missouri and Tennessee for work. Now I finally have a chance to move where I want and I've been dreaming of getting out of land locked states for years. I love sailing and I think the gulf side of Florida, Specifically the region b/t Fort Myers and Tampa would be a nice location for a sailor.

I'd like to eventually get a 30 - 35' sailboat and spend time cruising around with my wife and 2 young kids whenever I can. I'm not close to retirement age so I'd still need to live close to an area with plenty of jobs so that I can find employment.

Does anyone have some good recommendations on places to live down there? My experience is mostly on the east side of the state and I lived in Pensacola for 2 years with the Navy.
Dunedin. Pretty town, friendly people, not too expensive. Not sure if you'd find a slip or mooring right there, but Clearwater is just a little south and St. Pete just south of that. Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs to the north.
Safety Harbor just to the east. We felt Dunedin was the most liveable town on that part of the Gulf.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:28   #12

I would not move to Florida without a job in my back pocket. I am retiredand own a condo 10 miles south of Fort myers and spend my winters there. Do not need a jobor want one. My nephew is a construction super in ill. and bought a home in Cape Coral without a job. Best he could do in Florida is 1/2 pay offer for emploment. He gave it a try for 2 years goingback and forth between Il. and fl. Job then move
Johnniegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:29   #13

Boat: Endeavour Catamaran 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
I too am going to relocate to SW Florida, at lease for the colder months to start. I have a 1980 Tartan 37 that I will bring down the ICW. I believe that I will relocate to a Condo or Co-op, not a single family home. Will anyone be able to recommend a Condo or Co-op with a marina as either part of the complex or with a marina within a mile or so? I anticipate a lot of coastal cruising all along the Gulf coast to western Texas.
At this point in my life, I do not hesitate to " order the good wine" because life is just too short.
Check out Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda. The real estate is a complete mix of condos, semi-detached and stand alone houses, spanning the price spectrum and broken up into what we call neighborhoods, but are actually individual homeowner associations. No matter where you fall on the price spectrum, most of the neighborhoods have their own swimming pool. Many of the neighborhoods, especially the condos are clustered around the marina basins, if which there are two, North Basin and South Basin.
Lots of info on the internet, including youtube.
We live aboard in the North Basin and love it. Lots if walking routes, and if you like, golf carts are allowed and quite prevalent.
Mike Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:29   #14

get the job 1st. then move to Florida.
Johnniegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
Check out Burnt Store Marina, between Cape Coral and Punta Gorda.
Bibster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, men