Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 09:58   #16

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Recommendations for places to move on Florida's gulf side?

Lots of skinny water in SW Florida. Check the depth charts before you buy a sailboat with anything other than a shoal keel.
Sailnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:13   #17

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

I'm in El Jobean on the border between Port Charlotte and Englewood. Great area if you like beaches, cycling, kayaking and other outdoor activities. Englewood has a lot going on with its downtown as well as the Drum circles which are cool. Venice is close by with a great downtown. Dog beach if you have a dog and a great local theatre. Sarasota, tampa and Ft Myers are close if you need a big city fix. I love it there. I have a great realtor who knows the area well and can set you up with a portal where you can get listings in your areas and price range. Let me know if you want here contact info.
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:29   #18

Boat: S2 11.0a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
Dunedin. Pretty town, friendly people, not too expensive. Not sure if you'd find a slip or mooring right there, but Clearwater is just a little south and St. Pete just south of that. Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs to the north.
Safety Harbor just to the east. We felt Dunedin was the most liveable town on that part of the Gulf.

I live in Clearwater, in a 55+ community called On Top of the World and can highly recommend it. I'm about 5 miles from the coast/beaches and 82 feet above sea level. They are very well built buildings and maintained buildings. Just about 5000 apartment condos, 2 golf courses, 2 activity centers, pools, brand new work out room, billiard room, etc ... the amenities are too much to list completely. Everything is at no extra charge, beyond the monthly activity/maintenance fees. The condos are very nice and affordable - maybe $110,000 USD for an 1100 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit. (Prices have recently dropped in the last 30 days)

See https://www.otowclearwaterinfo.com/
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:02   #19

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Come check out Tampa Bay, we at Tampa Sailing Squadron have great sailing, racing, and cruising in the bay and many longer voyages. We have a great youth sailing program as well . Lots of nice places to live in the Apollo Beach area and surrounding areas.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:12   #20

Tampa Bay area is going to have more, and a wider variety of, jobs than anywhere else on the west coast. I have to agree with the folks who say you should find the job first.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 14:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
Dunedin. Pretty town, friendly people, not too expensive. Not sure if you'd find a slip or mooring right there, but Clearwater is just a little south and St. Pete just south of that. Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs to the north.
Safety Harbor just to the east. We felt Dunedin was the most liveable town on that part of the Gulf.
Always seeing job offers for school bus drivers in tampa clearwater St. Pete and inland areas. Like Lakeland Winter Haven etc. depends on distance to Gulf that you are looking for. look for job first. Things are changing fast here. School busses running all summer now.
Old 12-05-2020, 14:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimden5 View Post
If you like the Tampa area, check out Gulfport. It is an eclectic little community on Boca Ciega Bay with access to the Gulf and ICW. Has a really nice and reasonable city owned marina. Nice restaurants and arts community. Easy access to St. Pete and Tampa by car. Lived there for six years and commuted to Tampa airport for work. Kept our 31' sailboat at the marina. If you want to go further south, check out Cape Coral. It has 400 miles of canals, not all of which are sailboat or Gulf accessible. We have lived there now for six years and love it.
Gulfport is a good suggestion. Sort of an outlier that everyone knows but gets bypassed for some reason. The town of Gulfport is super chill. Surrounding area is just normal, some nearby blight. But manageable.

We moved to St Pete from San Francisco 15 years ago. We liked it then, we've come to like it even more now. We've been all over the state and region and would pick St Pete all over again. Four thumbs up from us.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 15:14   #23

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have to agree with the folks who say you should find the job first.
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm job hunting, but it's tough with the current world situation. I'm also in a position where I have to move homes no matter what in July. My lease is ending and the owner wants to sell the home, so I have to go. I don't want to stay in Tennessee. I figure why not move to a place I'd like to live, and look for some kind of work there?
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 17:27   #24

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniegee View Post
I would not move to Florida without a job in my back pocket. I am retiredand own a condo 10 miles south of Fort myers and spend my winters there. Do not need a jobor want one. My nephew is a construction super in ill. and bought a home in Cape Coral without a job. Best he could do in Florida is 1/2 pay offer for emploment. He gave it a try for 2 years goingback and forth between Il. and fl. Job then move
That's the beauty of Florida. They pay a fair wage. Up north the jobs are padded with corrupt unions and politicians. Saw it my whole life in New York. Glad to be in Florida.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 17:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandPebbles View Post
Hi everyone. I lost my job at the end of march due to COVID-19. I've been a school bus transportation consultant for 7 years, spending the last 3 years in Missouri and Tennessee for work. Now I finally have a chance to move where I want and I've been dreaming of getting out of land locked states for years. I love sailing and I think the gulf side of Florida, Specifically the region b/t Fort Myers and Tampa would be a nice location for a sailor.

I'd like to eventually get a 30 - 35' sailboat and spend time cruising around with my wife and 2 young kids whenever I can. I'm not close to retirement age so I'd still need to live close to an area with plenty of jobs so that I can find employment.

Does anyone have some good recommendations on places to live down there? My experience is mostly on the east side of the state and I lived in Pensacola for 2 years with the Navy.
Decent jobs for a family man can be a problem in Gulf Florida where the mantra is " pay them with sunshine."
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 17:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Gulfport is a good suggestion. Sort of an outlier that everyone knows but gets bypassed for some reason. The town of Gulfport is super chill. Surrounding area is just normal, some nearby blight. But manageable.

We moved to St Pete from San Francisco 15 years ago. We liked it then, we've come to like it even more now. We've been all over the state and region and would pick St Pete all over again. Four thumbs up from us.
Gulfport rents are quite high-my sailing buddy pays 1700/m for a lil bungalow.
Old 12-05-2020, 17:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
I too am going to relocate to SW Florida, at lease for the colder months to start. I have a 1980 Tartan 37 that I will bring down the ICW. I believe that I will relocate to a Condo or Co-op, not a single family home. Will anyone be able to recommend a Condo or Co-op with a marina as either part of the complex or with a marina within a mile or so? I anticipate a lot of coastal cruising all along the Gulf coast to western Texas.
At this point in my life, I do not hesitate to " order the good wine" because life is just too short.
Island Estates in Clearwater has many condos that have docks. I keep my boats there for past 17 years.
Old 12-05-2020, 22:17   #28

Boat: Catalina 22, Ovni 39

We are Chesapeake sailors, mostly cruising for 4 to 6 days at a time. We winter in the Bradenton-Sarasota area. The water is very thin, and cruising destinations not close together. Day sailing is what we see in terms of sailboats. Lots of fishing and recreational powerboats. Great area for the beaches and water if you just want to go out and come back.
tombeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 23:22   #29

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibster View Post
Check out Burnt Store Marina, between Cape Coral and Punta Gorda.
And look at Pirates Cove - just North of Burnt Store Marina.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 03:46   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
sarasoto/bradenton area would be my choices
+1. I used to live on the Manatee River in Bradenton. Really enjoyed it there. Of course, that was almost 20 years ago now...may have changed some.

Pensacola would be my next pick. Great bay for day sailing, easy Gulf access, access to Mississippi Sound and Mobile Bay areas for nearby cruising.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, men