Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 11:54   #31

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: open to your ideas - Nova Scotia to British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Oh he'll have exposure alright, sailing every day for 6 months in Nova Scotia, exposure including the associated frostbite.

Great for someone in a tropical climate to suggest.

The sailing season is mid May to mid August, with a few days beyond either end, to make up for the odd frigid day in the middle.

Except for Bras D'or Lakes, I don't think the water gets over 40F.

It only takes a few hours of that slapping you in the face with a 30 knot 40F wind, to make one think about taking up golf instead. ;-)
I've only sailed Nova Scotia in July and August, but I've been sailing New England to 44.5deg north from April through November for the last 16 seasons. Except for the rare TS that gets lost and comes north, or the occasional Nor'easter, I've found the weather generally more hospitable in October than April. The sea temperature in Halifax or Lunenburg averages 56.8F in October. That isn't warm, and I'm past the age when I found swimming in 57 degree water inviting, but that isn't frigid. By comparison, that's about as warm as the sea temperature in Bergen, Norway (I hope to sail there someday) in July. By further comparison, the waters off Incargill NZ hardly get that warm in their summer.

My point is that in spending a season cruising NS the OP will experience enough to humble most people regarding sailing in adverse weather. With this knowledge he'll better be able to judge his, and his equipment's ability to make an offshore passage south.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 21:07   #32

Re: open to your ideas - Nova Scotia to British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Oh he'll have exposure alright, sailing every day for 6 months in Nova Scotia, exposure including the associated frostbite.

Great for someone in a tropical climate to suggest.

The sailing season is mid May to mid August, with a few days beyond either end, to make up for the odd frigid day in the middle.

Except for Bras D'or Lakes, I don't think the water gets over 40F.

It only takes a few hours of that slapping you in the face with a 30 knot 40F wind, to make one think about taking up golf instead. ;-)
The sailing season here lasts until September and many sail into October. I have often enjoyed sailing here in October albeit cabin heating is necessary for all but the hardiest folk. On the other hand, in the southwest of the province you can golf into December, and often tee up again in March there. Having years sailing both the Great Lakes and the Maritimes I can state from experience on average the season starts later but also ends later.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia, nova scotia