Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 11:05   #1

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"
Montreal, QC, Canada via canals

Does anyone know the max draft, width, length for a vessel going to Montreal up the Canadian Canal system North from Lake Champlain? Guess I should also say I am looking at upgrading to either a 25 swing keel or 27 fixed 4 ft draft Catalina.
I want to visit family up there.
Thanks, James
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:18   #2

Re: Montreal, QC, Canada via canals

There are a total of 10 locks on the Lake Champlain - Sorel route. A total of 9 locks on the Chambly and 1 on the St. Ours. While many of the locks are of different sizes, the lock dimension for the smallest lock in the Chambly system is 110’ (33.52 meters) in length and 23’ (7 meters) in width. The St. Ours lock chamber is 325’ (99.06 meters) in length and 39’ (12.04 meters) wide.
A minimum depth of 6.5’ (1.98 meters) will be found in the Chambly Canal section and 12’ (3.66 meters) is reported in the St. Ours Canal.
Do a google search for the Richelieu River and you'll find a lot of information.
ken51k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:12   #3

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

No problem with draft or size on the two boats your looking at, many 40+ footers do the trip regularly.

Another thing you need to consider is powering up the St.Lawrence once you head west to Montreal from the Richelieu river. You should have a boat which will do at least 6 knots or better in flat water.

If your going any farther west than Old Montreal you will also have to travel through a couple of St.Lawrence Seaway locks, St.Lambert and Ste.Catherine. Once these locks are traversed you will end up in Lake St.Louis, many pleasure craft and several yachts clubs in this area.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:45   #4

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

Great info mates, Thanks a lot. I should be ok I just purchased a Catalina 25 Swing Keel as an upgrade to my C 22 SK. t has adequate room and facilities for the trip (head, lavatory and galley) She an older model but has spent its life in fresh water Sailed / maintained by a excellent sailor and is in excellent condition. She needs a good clean up from the past year she has spent at the dock. I look forward to getting her refit and moved to relaunch on the loop in Kentucky near my home. thanks for your input. I'll go in my trip notes.
I've got to get a trailer together for the 700 mile tow to my home.
James
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada