Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2016, 14:40   #31

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Is it OK to just have a black and white printer on board?

It is not surprising that it has spread to other vendors. While I was in Europe the EU was debating rules to block printer manufacturers from preventing refilling, because not refilling created a larger solid waste problem. If the printer vendors allow refilling then they will sell fewer cartridges and will need to charge more, or raise the printer prices, as the initial price is too low on its own. Of course there is always just greed as well.

The identification of an OEM cartridge (and the storing of manufacturing and first-use dates) is usually done with a chip in the cartridges, and sometimes can be reprogrammed or re-chipped. My new Pantum laser printer (ultra cheap) has a ratcheting mechanism that advances with use, and can be defeated by opening the case and resetting it. It is always worth doing a web search for these things - black toner is dirt cheap and can easily be added to most cartridges.

Greg

Edit: IIRC the HP system for geographically controlling compatibility was a physical keying that was not easily defeated.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 14:43   #32

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
This sounds like an HP printer - they are famous for such tricks. Recently they pushed out a printer firmware "upgrade" that added extra code for recognizing non-HP cartridges - and then refusing to print using them. The uproar was so great that they had to offer a way to back it out (very rare win, but only temporary - they will probably just include it in new printers). In the past their cartridges stopped working after 1 year from first use and 3 1/2 years from manufacturing date, regardless of condition. Stay far away from HP printers. I have heard recently that they play some games with drivers for their computers, so I would just avoid them completely. Carly lives on...

Other printers have techniques for discouraging non-OEM cartridges, with varying effectiveness, but I have not encountered the region problem before (aside from HP). What is the brand of your printer?

Greg
Just curious. Do you have knowledge of the techniques you attribute to Carly (Fiorina) or was yours a political snipe on something that for all you know she opposed? Or is it all simple hearsay or just made up?
Old 26-10-2016, 14:56   #33

My comments had nothing to do with Carly's politics, although that is deserving as well. Her time at HP, and specifically some very public, and very bad (even stupid) decisions of hers did irreparable harm to an iconic American innovator. I do not claim to know if Carly had any responsibility in this specific matter but her legacy is consistent.

I used to work at Tektronix, one of HP's biggest competitors at the time. We were frenemies - I knew and respected many inside of HP, and some of them who came to work at Tek. There was a lot to admire in HP in those days; less so today. Of course the traditional instrumentation business was spun off as Agilent, and I have not followed them recently. As with HP, only worse, once our founder retired the professional managers pretty much looted the place, and failed to move with the times. And lest you think this is just attitude, I do have an MBA ('72) from one of the top B-schools and do have a clue about this stuff.

Greg
Old 26-10-2016, 14:58   #34

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Well, I think it depends on where you are going.
I took 20 copes of all the official documents (Boat Registration, insurance, passports, radio op licence etc) when we left last time, it was not enough, and added a mulit-function inkjet as well, once out.

Indonesia in particular wanted "originals" and multi copies (huh?), often in places where they had no, or broken copiers themselves, or want ridiculous $ per copy. They happily accepted color copies.

I found the multi-function inkjet to be fine. Its an HP. Still going 7 years later. Take spare cartridges, and keep them and the paper in airtight containers.
Oh, and the local kids liked pics of themselves in the really remote places...
Old 26-10-2016, 15:19   #35

Matt-

Good point about making a copy of the USCG document - a B&W laser copy would appear to be a copy but a color inkjet copy made from a good scan might mean that the original can stay safely on the boat. I never liked taking the document off of the boat and handing it to a Port Captain, less so if he wanted to keep it for the stay.

Greg
Old 26-10-2016, 15:52   #36

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Do you know where you are going in the first year(ish) And who your crew will be? I'd ditch the printer and just take a few copies with me in a plastic sleeve, then n a year or 2 print a few more copies if need be. You can always fill out your crew list by pen and ask new crew to bring a photocopy of their passport....
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 15:52   #37

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
My comments had nothing to do with Carly's politics, although that is deserving as well. Her time at HP, and specifically some very public, and very bad (even stupid) decisions of hers did irreparable harm to an iconic American innovator. I do not claim to know if Carly had any responsibility in this specific matter but her legacy is consistent.

I used to work at Tektronix, one of HP's biggest competitors at the time. We were frenemies - I knew and respected many inside of HP, and some of them who came to work at Tek. There was a lot to admire in HP in those days; less so today. Of course the traditional instrumentation business was spun off as Agilent, and I have not followed them recently. As with HP, only worse, once our founder retired the professional managers pretty much looted the place, and failed to move with the times. And lest you think this is just attitude, I do have an MBA ('72) from one of the top B-schools and do have a clue about this stuff.

Greg
In other words, yes. It was an attack based upon animus, not known truth. Thanks.
Old 26-10-2016, 15:57   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
In other words, yes. It was an attack based upon animus, not known truth.
No, based on known truth. Just not that specific point.

Quote:
Thanks.
You're welcome.

Greg