Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2008, 09:02   #1

Dining on Pamlico Sound/Outer Banks

Hi, new to the forums, and to sailing. Dad's new sailboat is docked in Oriental, NC and we're planning a week down there with the family in June. Can anyone advise us of a good day trip destination (or overnight) on the Sound side of the Outer Banks? We'd love to sail into a nicer marina and dine on the water, and maybe find a nice little sound-side beach to anchor at overnight?
lkhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 10:28   #2

Boat: 10m Catalac, Immanuel
I am in Broad Creek, just north of Oriental. Ocracoke is a great day sail from Oriental. Once your there, you can anchor in Silver Lake or tie up at a couple places. There is state park docks there w/ water and electric for a reasonble price. Lots of places to eat within walking distance. My personal favorite is Howard's pub. Great food and open 365 days. Howard's is a slightly longer walk, but worth it. You can also rent bikes there, lots of history! Take caution in the entrance and watch out for the ferry's!!
If you can find your way to Cedar Is., kinda on the way to Ocrocoke, but hangin a right before you get there. There is a nice beach there w/ horse back riding, very barren. There is a restaurant at the motel by ferry dock.
Hope that helps.
Clif
Immanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 10:35   #3

Just the sort of info I was looking for

Thank you Clif, this is just the sort of thing I was looking for. Although our family had a small power yacht down in Wrightsville Beach when I was young, this more northerly coastal location is all new to me and I want to make sure that we make the best choices during the limited time we get to spend there.
Old 15-05-2008, 10:59   #4

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
I have never been, but hear many great things about Ocracoke.

So I second the suggestion.

Watch the charts, lot's of shallow water in the Pamlico.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 10:59   #5

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkhenderson View Post
Hi, new to the forums, and to sailing. Dad's new sailboat is docked in Oriental, NC and we're planning a week down there with the family in June. Can anyone advise us of a good day trip destination (or overnight) on the Sound side of the Outer Banks? We'd love to sail into a nicer marina and dine on the water, and maybe find a nice little sound-side beach to anchor at overnight?
Actually, I recommend you go to Manteo which is just on the inland side of Nags Head.

As for restaurants in Manteo, I think you’ll like the Full Moon Cafe. What makes it unusual is al fresco dining on a street closed to cars. The whole area of Manteo is rather dog-friendly meaning they can accompany you if well behaved. I don’t recall the mosquitoes being that bad there but bring some DEET just in case.

There is a marina, Dough’s Creek, within a hundred or so meters of the restaurant.

I would recommend you do NOT go to the Weeping Radish unless you like expensive, touristy, kitschy places with mediocre food and bad décor.

With respect to Nags Head, most of the restaurants are right along on one of two parallel roads. All of this is more towards the ocean than the sound.

If you are bent on Nags Head, at the south end is Basnight’s Lone Cedar Café. It’s nice and happens to be owned by either the family of the state senator or himself. Either way, he is often there and a southern gentleman.

I might as well round all this out with caveat or two: watch the alligator river; it’s aptly named. But since most of this area is shoal draft, watch the markers even closer.

If you go to Google maps you can get the locations and contact information. Hope that helps.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 11:10   #6

Uh oh! Don't want any encounters with alligators!

Yes, we're open to any recommendations of the best places to sail --dog-friendly is great-- and as I mentioned, we're looking for sound-side attractions.

Seem to be noticing a lot of warnings (here and elsewhere online) about shallow water in the sound.

Thanks very much for the tip about the Alligator River. I do NOT want to see my little piglet (a 7yo JRT) turned into a tasty snack for some 'gator. Is it safe to let her play on the beaches that have been recommended, or should she generally stay out of the water due to the...erm...predators? (Come to think of it, I don't necessarily want an encounter with anything either.)

We're definitely looking for the more upscale options. Fine dining is good (not necessarily pricey, but definitely not Bubba's Crabs and Beer either...).
Old 15-05-2008, 11:19   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
[quote=lkhenderson;163151]Yes, we're open to any recommendations of the best places to sail --dog-friendly is great-- and as I mentioned, we're looking for sound-side attractions.
Quote:
Seem to be noticing a lot of warnings (here and elsewhere online) about shallow water in the sound.
That's because there are a lot of groundings Here is the NOAA chart if you feel like zooming in. You likely know how to get the Google ones yourself.
Quote:
Is it safe to let her play on the beaches that have been recommended, or should she generally stay out of the water due to the...erm...predators?
She will be fine beaches but if you are comming by boat and via the ICW -- keep her on board while you are on the river.
Quote:
We're definitely looking for the more upscale options. Fine dining is good (not necessarily pricey, but definitely not Bubba's Crabs and Beer either...).
The two restaurants I mentioned are good ones. Lone Cedar is more upscale but I liked the Full Moon quite a bit. Manteo is charming and quite walkable. As is Okrakoke but that's another 40 or 50 miles if I recall.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 13:15   #8

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Some other possibilities for an overnight trip include Bath, Belhaven, New Bern or down to Beaufort (though that would be primarily motoring). Multi day trips would include Edenton, Elizabeth City and Manteo. I rarely eat out, so can't recommend any resturaunts.

In a week, you could do a loop of Belhaven, Alligator River (anchoring), Elizabeth City or Edenton, Manteo, Orcacoke and back to Oriental. Elizabeth City, Edenton, Manteo and Bath, all have free docking (Edenton has electricity for $3 a night). Beaufort and New Bern both have free day dockage.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 13:21   #9

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
You might also want to stop by the Inland Waterway Provision Co in Oriental and pick up a Skipper Bob's Guide to Anchorages. Well worth the cost and helpful to have on board.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 13:23   #10

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Another vote for Manteo. Lots of locally owned seafood restaurants that are really good. The depths from Oriental to Manteo are fine. We keep our boat in Engelhard....half way between Oriental & Manteo and have never had a problem. Just follow the charts.

Manteo is a two day trip from Oriental (or an overnight run).
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:15   #11

Re: Dining on Pamlico Sound/Outer Banks

Basnight's Lone Cedar Café still recommended, still owned and operated by family.

Best, Harold ..
haroldleggett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outer banks