Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 13:21   #1

Charleston to the Bahamas

Planning on going south this winter, but no real desire to see Florida. Considering leaving Charleston around the first of the year, head east across the stream until north of West End, then south in an effort to avoid current. 4-5 days is fine for us. Boat is a robinhood 36, full keel stable and slow, well equipped. Crew experienced in New England. Anyone done this?
cferguson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 14:46   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Charleston to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cferguson53 View Post
Planning on going south this winter, but no real desire to see Florida. Considering leaving Charleston around the first of the year, head east across the stream until north of West End, then south in an effort to avoid current. 4-5 days is fine for us. Boat is a robinhood 36, full keel stable and slow, well equipped. Crew experienced in New England. Anyone done this?

I prefer leaving from Norfolk (Little Creek actually) rather than Charleston, especially in winter. You get across the Gulf Stream into warmer conditions faster. It's a day from Cape Henry and two-ish from Charleston.

The time to get easting is as far North as you can. Unless you particularly want to see West End or the Berries, I would get further East.

So from Charleston safe water buoy I head 135T until due North of North Man o' War Cut to clear into Marsh Habour. There isn't much left of Marsh Harbour after Dorian so you might want to head further East before turning South to head to George Town.

Bahamas C&I in the aftermath of Dorian is not clear. My suggestion is to be flexible for a couple of months and see how things evolve. I encourage you to visit the Bahamas. Just don't waltz into an area that isn't ready for you.

#BahamasStrong
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas