Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 10:33   #16

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Bahamas in summer...& internet access options.

With my Wilson booster I was able to get great LTE and VoLTE service throughout the Abacos... all the way from Pete's Pub up to the north side of Great Sale Cay. It also worked well in the Berries and around Nassau of course. We did not go further south than the Abacos.

We used the Bahamas wi-max when it was available and found it to be pretty quick most of the time with our Ubiquiti AP. However, it is set up for use in populated areas.

We may or may not get the Wi-max service again next year since the LTE worked so well. Be prepared to pay out a lot if you surf a lot. 2 Gigs of data is $30 if I recall. Good thing is.. no contract!

If you don't want to limit your cruising ground you really need to purchase a booster like the Wilson 4G or X or whatever the latest model is.

Here is a post of mine of my observations. It talks a little about what else is important besides getting a signal, things you may not have thought about.

Staying on the Grid - Part 2 - Tiki Trek Sailing
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 07:32   #17

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat

Thanks for the 411, when were you there last? From what it looks like there have been some significant improvements and upgrades made to the networks there in recent years...some even quote 4G/LTE as being brought online with 3G ubiquitous. Maybe it's a problem with the main pipe coming from the US/mainland?
chrtucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 15:06   #18

Thats some great information John....
Im replying to this as i will be doing Grenada to BVI, Cuba, and then Bahamas over the winter, on a Cat, and need reliable internet and phone coverage fr a few hours each day.
Would you suggest a Sat SPOT type or going with the BGAN immarsat as you suggested. the BGAN looks fairly expensive to get set up.
Thanks for your help!
Kelly
SAILORKELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 15:57   #19

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

SPOT/Globalstar1600 WERE on sale and unlimited data plan is Cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 16:48   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

Kelly,
Reliable Internet in the Caribbean and Bahamas??
I assume you need this for business or schooling??

The word "reliable" is relative here....
Recommendations for satellite internet for most users are usually totally wrong / unnecessary, as the costs are high and most find that the local wireless infrastructure to be adequate....
But, if you really need that "reliability" then you probably cannot rely on the vagaries of the local wireless systems...

Sorry, if it seems like I'm side-stepping the issue....but, not knowing how "reliable" you need it to be, it's tough to make absolute statements...

Bottom line, for most "reliable internet" in most of those areas, INMARSAT is the way to go....(you could also use "Iridium Pilot" which is a 128kb / "broadband" internet, but BGAN is cheaper...)

INMARSAT BGAN is going to give you the most reliable internet....
Or an INMARSAT FleetBroadband (FB), or an Iridium Pilot, system for use underway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILORKELLY View Post
Thats some great
information John....
Im replying to this as i will be doing Grenada to BVI, Cuba, and then Bahamas over the winter, on a Cat, and need reliable internet and phone coverage fr a few hours each day.
Would you suggest a Sat SPOT type or going with the BGAN immarsat as you suggested. the BGAN looks fairly expensive to get set up.
Thanks for your help!
Kelly
But, understand that if you can be in port, etc. when you need this internet, then you could save a LOT of $$$$, and just use the cellular/3G/4G/LTE network that is actually pretty good in most populated areas....

I hope this helps..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 17:25   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

Russ,
I know the native Globalstar data rate is 9.6kb at max....and they also market their "Express Data" plan, as an improved compression system, and say that you can do some web browsing...
But, they do not publicly state what this effective data rate is...but, I suspect that it is only slightly higher than the 9.6kb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
SPOT/Globalstar1600 WERE on sale and unlimited data plan is Cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Russ, if you have experience with this, please let me know...
I'd love to know if there is any real possibility of actual web browsing, or just higher effective speeds for FTP and/or e-mail attachments, etc...

Thanks...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, internet, ramp