Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51   #16

Boat: Pearson 30 Hull #796
Re: America's Great Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Great boats. Taiwan built. Solid. Try to find one without teak decks, those can be problematic... if you're inclined to worry about it anyway! Also, early ones may have plywood cabins sheathed with fiberglass. These tend to rot and it's a big job to fix them up.
A late 70's or 80's might have neither of those issues and be priced accordingly. An earlier version might have those issues and be less. Earlier versions yet are actually wooden hulls.. some are actually teak hulls ....I think!
Another boat along those lines is the CHB/Marine Trader 34...
Thank you. I am really impressed with the way they look inside. I guess I don't have to worry about 30-40 years old boats as I would not be considering a boat older than 10 years old.

Another silly question... Not to sound like a complete newb, but should I refer to them as yachts, boats, ships, tubs, or...?

I love the information that everyone has here. I guess the process of choosing a boat is pretty involved. There is so much to learn JUST to buy one, and then I'm sure I'm going to make a mistake or wish the design was slightly different in some way.
TerryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:44   #17

I am just FULL of questions:

Where do people learn to be engineers on a boat? Where do people learn how to handle emergency situations?

I was watching an episode a long time ago of Deadliest Catch where an alarm went off. As it turns out, some onions had clogged up something that blocked the bilge pump from working properly and the ship was taking on water, or rather couldn't get rid of excess water.

Where do people learn to quickly diagnose a problem like that. I would be in full panic mode.

I watch a program occasionally about some guys in S. Florida who tow boats. One boat was abandoned because it was taking on water due to a drive shaft coming out of the area where it goes out of the bottom of the boat. The pumps could not keep up with taking on that much water so quickly. The guys were able to dive under the boat and stop it up long enough to get it to a place where it could be lifted out of the water.

How often can something like that happen and what the hell do you do if you are 100 miles out to sea when that happens?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06   #18

Boat: Krogen 42

I believe you learn by experience. You need to understand your vessle inside and out. I suggest you keep your boat in a marina for at least a year while making short trips to learn boat handling. If you would be in full panic mode for any occurance that would happen while aboard you are not ready. My buddy, who had sailed with others for years finally bought his own boat. At the dock he would come on deck blindfolded so he could feel his way around and operate everything including hoisting and dousing sails in case he ever needed to do it on a dark and stormy night.
meridian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
I believe you learn by experience. You need to understand your vessle inside and out. I suggest you keep your boat in a marina for at least a year while making short trips to learn boat handling. If you would be in full panic mode for any occurance that would happen while aboard you are not ready. My buddy, who had sailed with others for years finally bought his own boat. At the dock he would come on deck blindfolded so he could feel his way around and operate everything including hoisting and dousing sails in case he ever needed to do it on a dark and stormy night.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:29   #20

When there is talk about Tonnage and licensing... Are they talking about hull displacement?

For example, would this mean that a displacement of 96000lbs would not require a 100T license for non-commercial purposes?
Old 05-02-2013, 17:30   #21

I dont think any recreational use/size requires a license.... maybe something huge does...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I dont think any recreational use/size requires a license.... maybe something huge does...
I read that vessels over 100 ton require a captain's license regardless of commercial or not. 200000 lbs is HUGE if it means actual displacement. But I have no clue how how tonnage is measured.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40   #23

Is there a way to find out the estimated GPH of a particular engine type?
Old 11-10-2013, 16:02   #24

After all of this, I actually went with a Pearson 30. I did extensive research and most people consider this one of the best sailboats ever made for the money.

I take delivery the first week of November in Chicago. I'll take the boat down the Inland part of the Great Loop to Mobile and eventually the Keys to finish out Winter.