Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 15:23   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35
Advice Sailing Boston to Provincetown, MA

I recently moved my boat from Lake Michigan to Boston, MA. I am looking to sail from Boston to Provincetown soon (in a couple of weeks). Any advice? I believe the weather can be adventurous at times. I have an O'Day 35 sloop and have good experience in bad weather on that boat (Lake Michigan storms, ets.), not that I'm looking to sail in bad weather....

I have a mooring reservation at Flyers and am sailing with two capable sailors. I believe it to be about a 10hr sail/motor. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 15:37   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473, 47ft
Re: Advice Sailing Boston to Provincetown, MA

Hey,
The typical prevailing winds in the summer are SW, which are great for going to P Town both ways, keeping the seas calm. We do it often as a day sail. I would suggest avoiding any N-NE as the seas make it pretty uncomfortable. We are currently in Nantucket and will go around the cape back to Boston once the NEasterlies change to SW.

Good luck!!
S/V Balú
Ivanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 15:51   #3

Boat: Catalina 36

A good bailout option can be Scituate in either direction . It significantly reduces the day and ensures a little better angle on the winds.
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 16:35   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Race point can be a real washing machine with the current against the wind. Give it lots of room. The rhumb line to Wood End will keep you two miles off. If it’s wind against tide stay about 4-5 miles off Race Point for more comfort. Check Eldridge’s for the current turn. I think it’s in there. If you are sailing in the area you want that yellow book aboard. Buying a copy is part of the spring ritual around here.
When you get to G1 off Wood End it’s a hard left turn to the NE towards Long Point. About a two mile leg. The popular mistake is to drift off to port of the rhumb line and bounce off the sandy beach. Stay in at least 20 feet of water and you’ll be ok. It shoals quickly if you are beating up that line in the middle of the night.
After G3 another hard turn to port, this time to the northwest, will have you aimed at Flyers. Plenty of time to drop the sails and put the boat away as you near the mooring field in good water.
The breakwater can be tough to see from G3 especially at night.
The harbor and approach are well marked and well lit. Race Point, Wood End, G1, Long Point, G3, and especially the Pilgrim Tower are all hard to miss.
Easy passage, and if there are summer thundershowers they often lose oomph across Mass Bay.
You can also get to the southwest corner of Stellwagen Bank for great fishing and whale watching on your way home.
I’ve done that trip a lot as there is a popular race from Marblehead to Ptown by way of Thieves Ledge.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 16:45   #5

I had a similar question a few years back... been several times since. One addition: you will see Pilgrim Tower early on and think you are almost there.... you’re not[emoji3]

Provincetown
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=118858
Jjk2783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 18:22   #6

Boat: Catalina 36

Be alert and watch for whales as they are in that general route
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:32   #7

Thank you for that great info (as always). I will let you know how it goes. Much appreciated!
Old 07-07-2020, 11:20   #8

Boat: CD25

As mikeo suggested Scituate is a good bailout if you are not restricted to a time table.
Easy in and out
Easy rider has transit moorings
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfessor View Post
I recently moved my boat from Lake Michigan to Boston, MA. I am looking to sail from Boston to Provincetown soon (in a couple of weeks). Any advice? I believe the weather can be adventurous at times. I have an O'Day 35 sloop and have good experience in bad weather on that boat (Lake Michigan storms, ets.), not that I'm looking to sail in bad weather....

I have a mooring reservation at Flyers and am sailing with two capable sailors. I believe it to be about a 10hr sail/motor. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
Town moorings are good and reasonable. Have launch service with the mooring. Also access to fuel. SW pervailing wind so should be a reach. Whales off the north point usually. Enjoy. A favorite stop of mine.
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 13:12   #10

Boat: X-Yacht Xc45

Once you see Pilgrim tower do not sail towards it. Doing so will bring too close to Race Point and a resulting beat around the point if the winds are SW.
Wavehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 11:04   #11

Thanks so much for the advice! The trip was great; I followed dfelsent's advice and it was a comfortable sail. As people have mentioned, it is pricey; we stayed one day (two nights); the launch was timely and reliable. Masks are required everywhere, but the stores and restaurants were open and I felt safe (pandemic-wise).

We ended up sailing over to Plymouth and got a mooring at the Plymouth Town Wharf. The launch there was frustrating in that they didn't answer their hails and the waits were long, but the launch was free and the people nice, and the mooring very reasonable.

Thanks again for the advice. It was spot on! Rich

Tags
sail, sailing