Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2021, 17:11   #1

Washing machines.

Hi all
I’m Wanting to know what brands cruisers choose for washing machine that is hard wired into their vessels.

I’m looking to install a washing machine in a large space on board and would like to know best brand, reliability, efficient washing, water consumption and compactness.
Any ideas please gratefully received.
Thank you. 🐕😀
Sandy0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 17:28   #2

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Re: Washing machines.

Daewoo Mini 3kg front loader mounted (bolted) on our forward bulkhead.
Normal floor mounted front loaders are heavy with concrete blocks to dampen the cycles. The Daewoo uses less than 30 litres per wash.
A high spin speed for reduced drying time.
Economical on energy as long as the internal water heater is not selected.
Old 22-06-2021, 17:35   #3

Excellent. Thank you kindly
Old 27-06-2021, 11:15   #4

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Here's my opinion on the Splendide 2100 washer/dryer combo, a common one for boats. The vented version, the unvented is useless I've heard. We've had ours for about 4 years now, living aboard summer and winter.

It does light loads really well. 3-4 tee shirts, a couple of pairs of shorts and associated underwear. 100% satisfied.

In winter, sweaters, heavy socks, etc., not so much. The more lint, the more difficulty it seems in getting rid of said lint. Every so often I have to disconnect the vent and ream out the lint that collects. Still 75% satisfied.

So, if you're shorts and tee shirt sailors, I'd recommend the Splendide. In colder climates, I might buy it again, or I might look for something else. If the something else was a lot more expensive, I'd probably buy the Splendide again.

Good luck!
Old 27-06-2021, 13:15   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Bosch front loader. 24x24 hatch, just got through. Running on 220. Much quieter than previous Westinghouse which didn’t last long at all.
Filter is on the floor so elevate the machine a bit so you can put a shallow pan under. Doesn’t use a lot of water or energy. Doesn’t smell inside. Spins stuff very dry. We don’t do big towels because we want it to last. We’re very happy with it and it is just so very quiet you would not think it’s running.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and the manatee crew...born naked, sail naked...let the sheep keep their raincoats.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 17:27   #6

Great advice! Thanks for insights around the lint and elevated washer. Here appliances are 240v. So that may be a consideration. I think the inverter won’t care, just the plug and socket. Been washing clothes a long time and not heard of smelly washers but maybe if creature go inside and perish I can imagine it would be noxious.
Yes let the sheep keep their woolies!
yoo hoo
Old 27-06-2021, 18:06   #7

The Splendide with vented dryer is certainly the most common among cruisers. . If you’ve got space they now have a separate dryer and washer which speeds things up as you can dry one load while washing another.

Like all 24” washers they can’t do nearly as big a load as a full size US (about 1/3rd the load) Overload it and stuff never drys. Once you get used to the load size, it works fine.

Consider switching away from heavy Cotten towels. We use these microfiber towels which dry quickly (and also never smell of mildew) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Be sure the frequency is right. Sounds like you have 60hz power. Washers built for European 50hz will have problems.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 18:18   #8

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

I just purchased a Samsung washer dryer combo, 24x24 just fit though, 230v 50hz. Ordered in the usa from 220v applicanes.com

i had the space and it was similar in cost to the Daewoo

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 11:56   #9

Boat: 2021 NEEL 47 (Hull #30)

I wonder if anyone has gone to using one of those pedestal washers that the major manufacturers are coming out with. They sure are compact. I’ve been contemplating whether it would work.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lg-...eel/1000854475
SVNagambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 12:48   #10

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

Our used boat came with a Miele, looks similar to a WT2670WPM, not sure it is exactly this model.

Not sure of the brand’s reliability, but ours has been working great. Based on our experience I would recommend it. Super quiet, does a good job washing, has on board water heater, so we don’t necessarily have to run our main water heater to wash with warm water. It has a dryer function as well, but we’ve never used it since we are primarily in sunny locations. I imagine it’s expensive, but seems very premium.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 15:49   #11

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
Our used boat came with a Miele
Not sure of the brand’s reliability, but ours has been working great... Based on our experience I would recommend it...
Miele are well known for their quality appliances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNagambie View Post
I wonder if anyone has gone to using one of those pedestal washers that the major manufacturers are coming out with. They sure are compact. I’ve been contemplating whether it would work.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lg-...eel/1000854475
Link doesn't work outside NA but I guess you mean something like this: https://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WD100CV

Yes, people are using them on boats and people have posted about them here on the forum. IIRC someone even stripped one down to be even more compact and fit in a smaller place.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equiptment & provisions, washing