Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 00:33   #241

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m
Re: Yacht sinks off Bay of Islands in 40knots

Currently in Ostia marina with noticable surge. Playing with mooring lines and snubbers after noticing the aft lines (med moor stern to) which were led to the primary winches causing the aluminium deck to flex!! These are winches which have pulled Risky at up to 23k (previous owner, kern racing man).
Jordan series, or any other drogue, or sea anchor, need strong points which are very strong with load well distributed into structure.

Robinson (Varua) talks about using oil with grear success in a major S ocean storm, he talks about using fish oil. Any one know where to get hold of this in gallon quantities?
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 18:39   #242

Has there been any follow up articles or news about this? Interviews?
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:29   #243

Boat: Logan 33
Yacht sinks off Bay of Islands in 40knots

Essence yacht sinking: The dramatic Cape Brett, Northland survival and rescue of three Kiwi sailors
https://nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic...ectid=12372922

Sobering!

P.S. sorry I didn’t realise this is in a premium, paid for, area of NZ Herald. Someone, maybe me, later, will find a better link. It is a good read.
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 11:44   #244

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

[QUOTE=fxykty;2996872]The NZ Herald story said their raft washed away. No information whether that was before or after they deployed it.[/QUOTE

Deploying a liferaft in rough weather is harder than it looks, and takes practice to do it right.

Note to self, do a liferaft deployment drill with crew.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 11:52   #245

Two part article in Boating NZ right now.
vic008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 15:57   #246

Boat: Outremer 55L

[QUOTE=capn_billl;3258508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
The NZ Herald story said their raft washed away. No information whether that was before or after they deployed it.[/QUOTE

Deploying a liferaft in rough weather is harder than it looks, and takes practice to do it right.

Note to self, do a liferaft deployment drill with crew.

Read the first part of the story in Boating NZ September issue. The life raft washed away with the wave that caused the knockdown and damage to the cabin.

This is an example of why the typical placement of a life raft on a cabin top is not a good idea.

A sea survival course may be a less expensive way to trial a life raft than launching your own, but if it’s due for recertification then that would be an excellent exercise.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 16:17   #247

Boat: a sailing boat

Nasty nasty waters. We ran into our trouble there too. Plenty of boats get pasted and lost in waters btw NZ and the islands. And quite many lives too. Too bad.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 19:47   #248

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Umm.. no.. you presume wrongly. I'm not in favour of streaming a JSD from the bow either. I'm presently designing a permanently ready-to-deploy JSD system with strong chafe-free fittings on the stern for my next boat. Basically, horizontally mounted, oversize chainplates positioned to pull through the centre of mass of the boat. See the image below, of the ones on Roger Taylor's Mingming II for an idea of what I'm going for. Each plate is rated at 120% of the mass of the entire boat. Frankly, I'd like to beef that up to 150% each, which is part of the reason mine will be titanium rather than stainless steel.

And a properly set up JSD is meant to be sufficiently weighted at the end, such that it buries itself to a depth that makes the wave period irrelevant.

JAFO,

Don Jordon's engineering analysis of the required strength of yacht attachment points is 75% of the maximum (loaded) displacement, of EACH attachment. Is that where you got your 150% from, for BOTH attachments?

If it's 150% of total displacement for EACH attachment point, it seems you may may be over engineering a tad. If using stainless bolts, using high tensile ones like Bumax would be a good idea I think.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 22:41   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
JAFO,

Don Jordon's engineering analysis of the required strength of yacht attachment points is 75% of the maximum (loaded) displacement, of EACH attachment. Is that where you got your 150% from, for BOTH attachments?

If it's 150% of total displacement for EACH attachment point, it seems you may may be over engineering a tad. If using stainless bolts, using high tensile ones like Bumax would be a good idea I think.
Yes, as I said in my initial comment, "I'd like to beef that up to 150% each". So, not both.

Why?
  1. The ocean is an unforgiving place, with unbelievable power. Never underestimate it.
  2. I like overengineering. Especially at sea.
  3. To misquote Maxim 37, "At sea, there is no 'over-engineered'. There is only "This looks plenty strong", and "What can we do to beef it up some more?"
And many thanks for the suggestion regarding stainless bolts!
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot, yacht