Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2018, 03:51   #1

Boat: CT-47
Vestas collides with fishing vessel near Hong Kong

Fisherman dead after crash with yacht in around-the-world race
https://sc.mp/2DrXAH3
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 04:29   #2

Re: Vestas collides with fishing vessel near Hong Kong

Very sad
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 05:43   #3

Boat: Tartan 40

Really awful. I can’t imagine sailing at 20+ knots among fishing boats and nets, in the dark. I wonder if fishing boat was big enough for radar to even pick up
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 05:53   #4

Truly sad for fisherman and family, our Team Vestas 11th Hour Racing, and all those involved in this tragedy.
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:21   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

So, so very sad. I had been wondering what they hit. This is just the worse thing, but why wasn't it seen on radar?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:28   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If I was sailing into Hong Kong at night with a crew of 10, I would have a dedicated person glued to the radar, plus additional lookouts besides the helmsperson. There will be many unlit boats out there. Yes, radar will pick up even wooden fishing vessels at 2 miles.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 09:36   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

And they had already retired from the race, so one would think that they'd be more relaxed and not pushing it. Have to assume that the boat was unlit but still a mystery what happened until more information makes it's way out.

Team Vestas seems cursed. The reef last time and now this. Bummer.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 09:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
And they had already retired from the race, so one would think that they'd be more relaxed and not pushing it. Have to assume that the boat was unlit but still a mystery what happened until more information makes it's way out.

Team Vestas seems cursed. The reef last time and now this. Bummer.

I think this is a poor wording in the article which leads one to think they had retired from the race prior to the incident.

“A rival team reported that Vestas 11th Hour Racing, which had retired from the leg and was proceeding under its own power to Hong Kong, had collided with a fishing boat.”

I doubt they had retired when they were set to finish second at the time of the incident.
tbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 05:41   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If I was sailing into Hong Kong at night with a crew of 10, I would have a dedicated person glued to the radar, plus additional lookouts besides the helmsperson. There will be many unlit boats out there. Yes, radar will pick up even wooden fishing vessels at 2 miles.

+1 Additionally one has to question the wisdom or lack of foresight of race organisers This reminds me of the Dakar rally, where dozens have died over the years, most of them bystanders run over by cars or trucks racing through African villages.
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 05:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Vestas collides with fishing vessel near Hong Kong

Profits and publicity rule every time.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 07:16   #11

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Reports: Person dead after Volvo Ocean Race yacht hits fishing boat off Hong Kong coast - NZ Herald

Safari wouldn’t open the scmp dot com link nor could i get to scmp dot com directly but it opened the NZ story easily. Maybe because I use a VPN?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 09:48   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The VOR boats can sail very fast, even in moderate winds, so I would like to know the speed of VESTAS at the time of the collision.

Does anyone know the VESTAS speed at the time of collision? Have a link to a report of their boat speed at the time of collision?

A very fast, dimly or unlit silent sailboat, at night would be hard to see if one was on a fishing boat busy working on deck with gear (or with crew asleep) or at the wheel.

I have seen people on other sailing groups criticize the fishing boats as "unlit" or "one dim light" and yet the same could be said about a racing sailboat too. Either one would be hard to see in the dark, and with one traveling at relatively high speed and silent....
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 09:50   #13

How to prevent this terrible accident in the future? In a pragmatic manner...
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 05:52   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The VOR boats can sail very fast, even in moderate winds, so I would like to know the speed of VESTAS at the time of the collision.

Does anyone know the VESTAS speed at the time of collision? Have a link to a report of their boat speed at the time of collision?

A very fast, dimly or unlit silent sailboat, at night would be hard to see if one was on a fishing boat busy working on deck with gear (or with crew asleep) or at the wheel.

I have seen people on other sailing groups criticize the fishing boats as "unlit" or "one dim light" and yet the same could be said about a racing sailboat too. Either one would be hard to see in the dark, and with one traveling at relatively high speed and silent....

I read that the VESTAS boat was sailing at 20 knots in 23 knots of wind at the time of collision.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 22:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post
How to prevent this terrible accident in the future? In a pragmatic manner...
Dead simple - enforce good seamanship, eg no high speed running after sunset, navigate around dense fishing zones rather than through them.

We (as in the greater proportion of the population) seem to excuse bad/unsafe behaviour if it’s in the name of competition or record breaking. Competing teams in major events should display the utmost best behaviour. Instead, we applaud idiots who push themselves to the limit (or beyond it) and risk the lives of themselves and others.... case in point people who try to break round the world solo yacht records - how can sailing alone, at high speed, whilst very fatigued needing to sleep underway EVER be considered acceptable behaviour?

As it is, a person is dead, all in the name of racing....unfortunately they are not the first, and more unfortunately, they won’t be the last innocent victim....
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, Hong Kong