Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 09:04   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: The loss of Kokopelli

11 lb halotron $273 https://www.webstaurantstore.com/buc.../47271100.html
5 lb Halon $500 https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fireb...24?recordNum=2

Halon is twice as effective per lb, but about twice as expensive per effectiveness, roughly.
Halotron will become more and more attractive over time due price
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:50   #92

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If I’m not mistaken the whole idea of a gas powered generator was pure speculation by a member.

I was addressing the speculation not an observation. A lot of speculation on here seems to be recycled or retained by some even if they don't comment much or at all on here.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:54   #93

Boat: Leopard 44

we add one of these to all of the engine bays and next to the generator
https://elidefireus.com
Old 09-09-2021, 13:33   #94

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Had an electrical fire start while alone at the dock last season. Engine not running. Powerboat caused a large wake & 10 minutes(?) later black smoke pouring out of the companionway while I was at the bow rigging the furling line. Nearly everything on the boat is plastic which ignites easily & burns hot. 3 buckets of water saved the ship. Checking for loose connections is now a standard weekly ritual.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 16:39   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

Had a couple of fires like that. See "Sailing Disasters" in Kindle Books by Wolfgang Berg
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 17:23   #96

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8te View Post
we add one of these to all of the engine bays and next to the generator
https://elidefireus.com
these seem like a really really good idea to me

sure any dry powder makes a mess but anything is better than an out of control fire when you are offshore

with most fires quick action is vital an these things appear likely to put a fire out almost before you know it's started

as well as engine bays & generator room, i'd be putting one in with the switchboard & another in with the battery charger & inverter

what's the down side ?

cheers,
Old 10-09-2021, 01:07   #97

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
these seem like a really really good idea to me

sure any dry powder makes a mess but anything is better than an out of control fire when you are offshore

with most fires quick action is vital an these things appear likely to put a fire out almost before you know it's started

as well as engine bays & generator room, i'd be putting one in with the switchboard & another in with the battery charger & inverter

what's the down side ?

cheers,
Do you think these would work in the engine room of a running diesel? Seems like the air intake might suck it all away without an automated engine shutdown.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 16:27   #98

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Do you think these would work in the engine room of a running diesel? Seems like the air intake might suck it all away without an automated engine shutdown.
i'm struggling to imagine a scenario where there are flames and the diesel is still running.

suppose an electrical fire in engine bay or if one high pressure line fails and the others are still feeding / running the engine ?

in any event, IF the diesel was running, and sucked in the chemical i'd think it would starve the engine of air immediately and stop it (?)

might be interesting to ask the manufacturer if the chemical would damage the engine in such situation, but as i said : anything is better than an out of control fire !

cheers,
Old 11-09-2021, 00:38   #99

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i'm struggling to imagine a scenario where there are flames and the diesel is still running.

suppose an electrical fire in engine bay or if one high pressure line fails and the others are still feeding / running the engine ?

in any event, IF the diesel was running, and sucked in the chemical i'd think it would starve the engine of air immediately and stop it (?)

might be interesting to ask the manufacturer if the chemical would damage the engine in such situation, but as i said : anything is better than an out of control fire !

cheers,
Well companies that manufacture marine diesel fire extinguisher systems require an automatic shut down.
https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/autom...tdown-systems/
"If a fire breaks out aboard a diesel powered vessel, the engine(s) must be shut down prior or during the discharge of the Fireboy suppression system to effectively extinguish the fire. Continued engine operation may remove the agent, lowering the concentration required to effectively extinguish the fire, making an Engine Shutdown System necessary."

Think about how short the time is that the extinguishing material is being injected into the fire space. It is only a few seconds.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:16   #100

Boat: Island Packet 40

The last time we had one of these threads I though an installed water misting system would be a good idea. After being told I was an idiot I went and did a little research and found that these type systems were being trialed to replace Halon systems in ships engine rooms.