Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2020, 11:04   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: The loss of Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
I don't think I have read of any cases where this happened to a sail boat - but then many fires on small vessels are not investigated to the extent that they are for larger vessels. I did read of one report almost identical to my theory on a mid sized fishing vessel, and many cases of high pressure diesel causing a fire by spraying onto an exhaust elbow, in everything from fishing boats to cruise liners.

Where what has happened to a sail boat?

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 11:07   #17
cruiser

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
An issue with a fiberglass boat is that just about the whole thing is flammable, Sunbrella for instance is pure plastic and will burn like its soaked in gasoline, I would assume the same for the sails and hull of course.
My belief is that it can be put out if caught early enough and if you have the proper fire extinguishing agent. You need a smothering agent for the engine room and if not an automatic extinguisher, at least a way of filling the compartment without opening a hatch or door. Your extinguisher is only too big if you can’t carry it, sort of like an anchor, size matters
Then as was said in the blog, have a hose readily available connected to a lot of pressurized water, cause sometimes water is the best agent
Another lesson I took away from this is to have fire proof gloves handy, and a gas mask, though I have already thought of the latter myself.

Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 11:08   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Where what has happened to a sail boat?
A fire caused by a diesel/gasoline leak onto the exhaust elbow.
Old 28-05-2020, 11:12   #19
cruiser

The coast guard recommended in the reports that they be shielded against direct high pressure leaks. Though of course their recommendations rarely get legislated.
Old 28-05-2020, 11:18   #20

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
A fire caused by a diesel/gasoline leak onto the exhaust elbow.

Yeah, pressurized flammable liquid being sprayed near anything hot can start a fire very quickly. That's one of the reasons that I get a little nervous about the idea of fuel injected gas engines on boats. Yeah, carbs are a pain and fuel injection is nice, but it also involves very flammable liquid under significant pressure (while carbs have minimal pressurized components and they're low pressure). Leaks in a high pressure diesel injection system can be almost as bad if they're spraying a well atomized mist of fuel.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 11:37   #21

Boat: 50’ performance cruising cat, 50’ Gulfstar (under contract)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Maybe there would have been a slight chance to flood just the burning hull opening the heads through hulls... but time..... it'll take at least 5-8 minutes which I'm sure they have not got...
Yeah you most certainly donít have even a few minutes in a fire. Maybe 1 minute at best.

They spread SO quickly and the heat is intense, plus of course the smoke, especially from burning plastics, will kill you in short order.

A a successful abandon ship is the best one can hope for once things get started.

Feel sorry for these folks. Hope they are able to get comfortable in that 5th wheel. Sounds like they are nice people from all the posts above.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 11:44   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

They spread SO quickly and the heat is intense, plus of course the smoke, especially from burning plastics, will kill you in short order.

Yea, that is why I have my gas mask in easy reach from the cockpit. I have a full range one anyway for painting.
Old 28-05-2020, 11:56   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Yeah, pressurized flammable liquid being sprayed near anything hot can start a fire very quickly.
Yup, aside from the gasoline case, 100% of the time it was a small but high pressure leak.
Old 28-05-2020, 12:17   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Somehow these things always seem to happen on calm days close to port. Very similar incident last year in Exumas. Only met them one, but she did inform me infactically she was an aviation expert. But then again a 747 pilot told me when I was a kid he'd use a bailer to out out any petrol fires in his dinghy.
Old 28-05-2020, 12:26   #25

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
... he'd use a bailer to out out any petrol fires in his dinghy.
Anybody who thinks that is even remotely possible, has never seen a real live gasoline fire in the wild. You'd be lucky if you had enough time to jump overboard.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 12:43   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Maybe there would have been a slight chance to flood just the burning hull opening the heads through hulls... but time..... it'll take at least 5-8 minutes which I'm sure they have not got...
Its amazing how fast, and intensely, fiberglass boats burn...best just to get clear of them and let them go.

They gave a time of 40 minutes start to burnt to waterline.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 13:42   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Causes of boat fires, fuel or flammable liquids are actually quite uncommon. 7% if we look only at fires caused by on boat sources.
https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2015...boat-fires.asp
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 13:57   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Causes of boat fires, fuel or flammable liquids are actually quite uncommon. 7% if we look only at fires caused by on boat sources.
Well if they were motoring that certainly could have contributed to an electrical fire through the alternator circuit etc. Definitely not unlikely.
Old 28-05-2020, 14:01   #29

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Going back to dock boat fire...by the time someone noticed smoke emanating from that boat it was already too late....I happened to be standing nearby when it happened. At first it was just a whisp of black smoke seen coming out, but in seconds, it was pouring out of there.

Before the first fire extinguisher was even brought out, black smoke and flames were pouring out of every crack, seam, opening that there was and you'd be risking your life getting anywhere near it.

If you had been on that boat, you would have had scant seconds to get the hell outa dere. It was hard to tell what happened next, but a hatch, porthole or other large opening must have suddenly let in a good amount of air in, as next thing, it looked like the entire boat was engulfed in smoke and fire. It took less time then writing this sentence.

I did not time the event, but it had practically burned to the waterline by the time the Fire Dept. came and there was little they could do except try to contain the fire so it would not spread to other boats.

Interestingly, adjacent boats also suffered damage just from the heat emanating from that fire.

To this day, I cannot comprehend how quickly that fire spread. I never determined the source. There was nobody on the boat at the time.

Frightening !! Simple frightening to see how quick it spread !! It was like someone spraying gasoline on that boat.

If it were ever to happen to me, I'm not sure that I would even try to contain the fire, I'd be heading for the exits.

I have since, mounted smoke alarms everywhere I could.

Interestingly, I often go on cruises. The biggest fear on a cruise ship is fire !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 14:21   #30

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

Quote:

Fires triggered by a fuel leak aren't all that common, but when they do happen, they tend to go from zero to really bad very quickly. Electrical fires tend to start a little more slowly before they reach the point where the spread becomes rapid.

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote