Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2018, 07:57   #166

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: The hurricane prediction is for the strongest in 70 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
that or the meme they have been indoctrinated to due to the mainstream carrying the same bs day in and day out.
That and BS on social media.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 08:56   #167

Boat: Rafiki 37

This thread is a pretty great example of people ignoring all facts and figures and just parroting some crap they were fed. I don't know how Jackdaw has the patience, but it's pretty funny watching people ignore any of the data or sources he posts just to repeat their preconceived notions.

The actual basic science behind it is actually pretty simple and was semi-predicted over 100 years ago (there are newspaper clippings of discussion about how emissions would cos the world to warm from ~1890). The oceans are warming (up here we are seeing sailfish. Sailfish!), the polar ice is retreating, glaciers everywhere are vanishing (look at Patagonia). The world is warming, and warming FAST. https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/

These kind of changes do occur on a natural timescale (and are affected by stuff like sunspot cycles, cloud cover from volcanoes etc) but the natural timescale is 100,000 years not 30 years. AND we should be in a cooling cycle instead of a extremely rapid warming one.

It's only in the US this seems to be a debate, and that's due to a concerted effort by certain powerful interests to make it appear to be one by putting out false arguments, conspiracy theories (like that all the hundreds of thousands of scientists all over the world are somehow in cahoots for REASONS) bring up weird tangents (who cares about Al Gore, whats he got to do with whats happening) and cherry picked data that are easily disproved with even the slightest look at the actual numbers. You can see a bunch of that in this thread (world is actually cooling!!!! sea ice is more than ever!!!! both massive untruths that a cursory google search would uncover)

At this point it's wilful ignorance and burying head in sand which is why it gets people so angry.
Old 28-03-2018, 10:06   #168

Quote:
that or the meme they have been indoctrinated to due to the mainstream carrying the same bs day in and day out.
Which is why I rely on original sources and peer-reviewed science, neither which is found on mainstream media. The classic is the 1970's global cooling myth reported in the MSM, while science was 6:1 warming:cooling. Peter Gwynne of Newsweek has done a major mea culpa over his reporting.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/m...ientists-wrong
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 10:50   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
This thread is a pretty great example of people ignoring all facts and figures and just parroting some crap they were fed. I don't know how Jackdaw has the patience, but it's pretty funny watching people ignore any of the data or sources he posts just to repeat their preconceived notions.

The actual basic science behind it is actually pretty simple and was semi-predicted over 100 years ago (there are newspaper clippings of discussion about how emissions would cos the world to warm from ~1890). The oceans are warming (up here we are seeing sailfish. Sailfish!), the polar ice is retreating, glaciers everywhere are vanishing (look at Patagonia). The world is warming, and warming FAST. https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/

These kind of changes do occur on a natural timescale (and are affected by stuff like sunspot cycles, cloud cover from volcanoes etc) but the natural timescale is 100,000 years not 30 years. AND we should be in a cooling cycle instead of a extremely rapid warming one.

It's only in the US this seems to be a debate, and that's due to a concerted effort by certain powerful interests to make it appear to be one by putting out false arguments, conspiracy theories (like that all the hundreds of thousands of scientists all over the world are somehow in cahoots for REASONS) bring up weird tangents (who cares about Al Gore, whats he got to do with whats happening) and cherry picked data that are easily disproved with even the slightest look at the actual numbers. You can see a bunch of that in this thread (world is actually cooling!!!! sea ice is more than ever!!!! both massive untruths that a cursory google search would uncover)

At this point it's wilful ignorance and burying head in sand which is why it gets people so angry.
the world is actually cooling . Look at the data from the UAE .
And the MMGWC Crap is from powerful politicians who want to control and up to now have done a good job of controlling the ideology of the mainstream.
You want funding for climate research tell them you want to study why the Antarctic sea ice is growing exponentially this year you won't get it unless you say that it has something to do with MMGWC .

Climate science is not science. a consensus. Which means an opinion not facts.
As you said and I believe climate is at a minimum stackable in century scale if not longer.

As far as Al gore he was just a big name to push a particular narrative that's all.
Old 28-03-2018, 11:20   #170

Quote:
You might wish to tell Roy Spencer at UAH that he is unable to analyze his own data.

Warming to 2100: A Lukewarmer Scenario « Roy Spencer, PhD
Old 28-03-2018, 11:24   #171

Quote:
You want funding for climate research tell them you want to study why the Antarctic sea ice is growing exponentially this year you won't get it unless you say that it has something to do with MMGWC .
Quote:
As noted in our previous post, in the Southern Hemisphere, sea ice reached its minimum extent for the year on February 20 and 21, at 2.18 million square kilometers (842,000 square miles). This year’s minimum extent was the second lowest in the satellite record, 70,000 square kilometers (27,00 square miles) above the record low set on March 3, 2017. The Antarctic minimum extent is 670,000 square kilometers (259,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average minimum of 2.85 million square kilometers (1.10 million square miles).
Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

It always grows exponentially at this time of year.
Old 28-03-2018, 11:25   #172
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The hurricane prediction is for the strongest in 70 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

It always grows exponentially at this time of year.
I believe he was referring to the Antartic..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 11:37   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I believe he was referring to the Antartic..
It talks about the antartic

Quote:
As noted in our previous post, in the Southern Hemisphere, sea ice reached its minimum extent for the year on February 20 and 21, at 2.18 million square kilometers (842,000 square miles). This year’s minimum extent was the second lowest in the satellite record, 70,000 square kilometers (27,00 square miles) above the record low set on March 3, 2017. The Antarctic minimum extent is 670,000 square kilometers (259,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average minimum of 2.85 million square kilometers (1.10 million square miles).
Old 28-03-2018, 11:47   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Antarctic sea ice growth to date
Looks to me like it has grown a lot faster than normal for this time of year .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180328-114655.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	167255  
Old 28-03-2018, 11:49   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You might wish to tell Roy Spencer at UAH that he is unable to analyze his own data.

Warming to 2100: A Lukewarmer Scenario « Roy Spencer, PhD
you post modeling that doesn't fit with actual observations
Once again.
Old 28-03-2018, 11:52   #176

I'm not picking on you but this is a great example of what I was talking about

Quote:
And the MMGWC Crap is from powerful politicians who want to control and up to now have done a good job of controlling the ideology of the mainstream.

Climate science is not science. a consensus. Which means an opinion not facts.
As you said and I believe climate is at a minimum stackable in century scale if not longer.

As far as Al gore he was just a big name to push a particular narrative that's all.
Both those things you stated as facts simply just aren't true but have been put out to muddle the narrative and make it look like there is no consensus. And it's working!

Side note: funny you bring up politicians, most of them (at least in North America) are firmly on the side of the fossil fuel industries. Look at the massive subsidies still pouring into the pockets of the oil and gas industries and the almost total lack of leadership in transition to renewables (and it is 100% possible - we have the technology, just not the political will)
Old 28-03-2018, 11:59   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm not picking on you but this is a great example of what I was talking about

Both those things you stated as facts simply just aren't true but have been put out to muddle the narrative and make it look like there is no consensus. And it's working!

Side note: funny you bring up politicians, most of them (at least in North America) are firmly on the side of the fossil fuel industries. Look at the massive subsidies still pouring into the pockets of the oil and gas industries and the almost total lack of leadership in transition to renewables (and it is 100% possible - we have the technology, just not the political will)
ok here are the facts to support my statements first the temperature
http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-conte...ry_2018_v6.jpg
Second is Antarctic sea ice growth
Meereisportal: Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180328-115656.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	167257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180328-114625.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	167258  

Old 28-03-2018, 11:59   #178

Quote:

Well... yes... but one shouldn't be too hard on newhaul and others; the US is currently into year 2 of a self-imposed official 4 year moratorium on critical thinking about science and other hard stuff.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 12:16   #179

Quote:
ok here are the facts to support my statements first the temperature
http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-conte...ry_2018_v6.jpg
Second is Antarctic sea ice growth
Meereisportal: Home
Thanks for the links, however clicking on the second link you provide, the second story on that page says:

'While record high temperatures for winter were being measured in the Arctic and the maximum winter sea-ice extent was reached, the sea-ice extent in the Antarctic reached its summer minimum for this year. The especially low amount of Antarctic sea-ice cover this summer meant extremely favourable conditions for the research icebreaker RV Polarstern, whose route took her to the southern Weddell Sea this year. '

While the third story reads

'Usually, at the North Pole the sun doesn’t rise before 20th March and it is the coldest time of the year. But this year, February was extraordinarily warm. Analyses of satellite and station data indicate that very warm air has been advected towards the Arctic, which allowed temperatures to rise until the freezing point'

Which kind of backs up my point that the sea ice is at an all time low, and is getting less every year on average.

re: the temperature, where is that data from? I tried researching it and I can only find reference to it from a University in Alabama, and I can't find what it is actually measuring, it says 'Global lower atmosphere' but what actually is that?

A lot of the heat increase has been absorbed by the oceans and landmasses, so for an accurate record you have to look at something that takes into account those as well. Like the ones NASA has done among others.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/
Old 28-03-2018, 12:32   #180

Quote:
you post modeling that doesn't fit with actual observations
Once again.
So Roy Spencer's modelling does not fit Roy Spencer's actual observations. You should him that.

Tags
hurricane