Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 17:10   #106

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: The hurricane prediction is for the strongest in 70 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Had he not developed HTML we would still burying down the Internet using gopher. https://www.minnpost.com/business/20...opher-protocol

When I started using the Internet with archie and ftp, I thought gopher was fabulous.
I could ask the same question again.....but I won't.....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 17:34   #107

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Calif wants to tax cow farts. Next, they will want the dairy farms to capture the farts for recycling.

One calif. city, the name has cycled out of my brain, taxed CO2 production so high, the local bread companies relocated. Think about that, loss taxes, loss of jobs.

I recall driving past a local bakery and smelling the very fresh bread. Mmmmmm
(Cow) "Fart Tax" was proposed in NZ. Seriously. But farmers not laughing, near shat themselves. Drove tractors up the steps of Parliament. @ 1998 Maybe.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 17:37   #108

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

A business coaching book, title and author long forgotten, advised along the lines of ... If you want to impress the people around you, make as many long term predictions as you can. Publish them on the web, but don't discuss them too much. No one will remember the failed ones. But when the time comes, discard the failures, and heavily promote those that are true.

Is that happening here, I wonder ....
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 18:10   #109
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
A business coaching book, title and author long forgotten, advised along the lines of ... If you want to impress the people around you, make as many long term predictions as you can. Publish them on the web, but don't discuss them too much. No one will remember the failed ones. But when the time comes, discard the failures, and heavily promote those that are true.

Is that happening here, I wonder ....
if science worked like that..... it wouldn't work, nothing you see around you right now would exist.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 18:53   #110

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
if science worked like that..... it wouldn't work, nothing you see around you right now would exist.
Scientists' are worried about losing their Federal grants soooooo, they have a tendency to "get in line".
Old 25-03-2018, 19:14   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Scientists' are worried about losing their Federal grants soooooo, they have a tendency to "get in line".
bingo
The good ones are mostly retired so they don't care about funding anymore are telling things much closer to the real world.
Dr Spencer and Dr currey for instance.
Then there are the ones outside of the American and brit. mainstream. They do usually tell it like it is
Old 25-03-2018, 19:25   #112
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Yeah and by now where I used to vacation in Florida was supposed to be under water, the Arctic Ocean ice melted and I just heard this morning an Asteroid is heading straight for us and will get her in 2035! With all these expert forecasts, I think I’m going to go put my boat on the market.
Now till 2035 is the time to be cruising.
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 19:56   #113

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Now till 2035 is the time to be cruising.
After 2035 there will be fewer shallow spots to worry you folks.
Me? I shall be worry about passing THE final exam. SMIRK
Old 25-03-2018, 20:03   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
After 2035 there will be fewer shallow spots to worry you folks.
Me? I shall be worry about passing THE final exam. SMIRK
actually its a hundred years off the expected rendezvous is in 2135
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/03/22/o...oln/index.html
I will have long since been crab food.
Old 25-03-2018, 22:59   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
This years cyclone (hurricane) season in Australia has bought about four during the last month or so, all of them along the northern coast, but none earlier in the season.
Northern and west coast have had them as well.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 02:13   #116

I don't even know where to begin.

This thread shows clearly the damage done by the 50+ years of leftist controlled education in the West. Even apparently so called educated people are very myopic and susceptible to propaganda trends.

First of all to talk about "climate change" using 10-20-50, even 100 year spans is just plain stupid. Not to say very unscientific. There is no such thing as a decades trend. Most climate changes occur in at least centuries spans and most of those are in thousands of years spans. The short term hickups are just that - hickups. Or hickdowns if you will.

The so called Dark Ages 5C-9C CE have corresponded to such cooling period. And 10-14cc had the warming period which corresponded with the rise of living standards in Europe, which peaked about mid-14th C and had the plague as a result of the warmer climate which allowed for proliferation of rats and other vermin. Also this warming period allowed the Vikings to colonize Greenland which was actually green and had decent pastures, at least its coastal areas, up to the 14th C.

From 14-15th C to about now we are in the cooling trend so that the reversal to the next warming cycle is pretty much should be within the normal historical climate oscillation periods. To fight this trend by human induced means is about as smart as to try to prevent Sun spots, lightening, or some such. We just need to adjust our activities and living patterns, etc. i.e. not to build too close to the rising oceans, not to build shacks in hurricane prone areas, not keep rebuilding in flood zones, etc.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 02:50   #117
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The hurricane prediction is for the strongest in 70 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post

This thread shows clearly the damage done by the 50+ years of leftist controlled education in the West. Even apparently so called educated people are very myopic and susceptible to propaganda trends.

First of all to talk about "climate change" using 10-20-50, even 100 year spans is just plain stupid. Not to say very unscientific. There is no such thing as a decades trend. Most climate changes occur in at least centuries spans and most of those are in thousands of years spans. The short term hickups are just that - hickups. Or hickdowns if you will.

The so called Dark Ages 5C-9C CE have corresponded to such cooling period. And 10-14cc had the warming period which corresponded with the rise of living standards in Europe, which peaked about mid-14th C and had the plague as a result of the warmer climate which allowed for proliferation of rats and other vermin. Also this warming period allowed the Vikings to colonize Greenland which was actually green and had decent pastures, at least its coastal areas, up to the 14th C.

From 14-15th C to about now we are in the cooling trend so that the reversal to the next warming cycle is pretty much should be within the normal historical climate oscillation periods. To fight this trend by human induced means is about as smart as to try to prevent Sun spots, lightening, or some such. We just need to adjust our activities and living patterns, etc. i.e. not to build too close to the rising oceans, not to build shacks in hurricane prone areas, not keep rebuilding in flood zones, etc.
Come on... This is CF... You cant get away with reason and common sense..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 02:50   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I recently saw one of the Florida mayors explaining the multi-million dollar project they have had to start in order to raise sea defenses and the massive pumps installed because the city now floods ever month with the spring tide. Yachts have now sailed the NW passage that used to be solid ice - just as predicted...
You don't need a lab to measure sea level rise, just a stick and a beach. Explaining it is more difficult. It could be the will of Allah, little green men or 98% of climate scientist could be right. Take your head out of the sand before rising sea levels come in and drown you!
Roald Amundsen sailed across the North west passage 1903- 1906
and just a guess he was not the first and the Oceans are going to rise slowly even if there was not one human on the planet.

The planet warmed from 700 AD for over 100 years at a similar rate as it is now.

You are choking on the sand that you have expensively been sold!
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 06:32   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post

Here are some long time spans for you.

For 800,000 years. at least, CO2 levels never exceeded 300 ppm. In that "Goldilocks" world human evolved and their food crops were domesticated.

Before the Industrial Revolution we were in a 6,000 year cooling period. Then we dumped 1.5 trillion tonnes of CO2, a known greenhouse gas, into the atmosphere raising levels to those not observed in 3-5 million years. Using carbon isotope analysis, the 40% increase in atmosphere CO2 can be directly attributed to the burning of fossil fuels. This is what happened.

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 06:34   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Roald Amundsen sailed across the North west passage 1903- 1906
and just a guess he was not the first and the Oceans are going to rise slowly even if there was not one human on the planet.

The planet warmed from 700 AD for over 100 years at a similar rate as it is now.

You are choking on the sand that you have expensively been sold!
According to natural cycles, solar cycles and Milankovitch cycles, we should be cooling, ice sheets should be expanding and sea levels falling. We are warming and sea levels are rising.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane