Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 21:17   #16

Re: Ship Fire on USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego

Good summary of the fire as of Monday evening.

Ouch. And here I thought that the ship collision on the Welland Canal was the big maritime story.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 22:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Good summary of the fire as of Monday evening.

Ouch. And here I thought that the ship collision on the Welland Canal was the big maritime story.

That report is not quite as succinct as OloteleMtn, but it's much more informative.

Certainly sounds like it'll be a write-off.
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 01:03   #18

Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body in SE Australia, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Back in WWII, damage control were trained to put out fires.
When I went to USCG boot camp, we went to USN Treasure Island firefighting school where we learned (first hand) how to put out fuel fires with water.
I guess nowadays, if they can't do it with a joy stick and touch screen, they're SOL.
I think the damage control systems in place when USS Forrestal caught fire in 1967 were found wanting.

Lost all the fire control people at the start...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_USS_Forrestal_fire
'The United States Navy uses the Forrestal fire and the lessons learned from it when teaching damage control and ammunition safety. The flight-deck film of the flight operations, titled "Learn or Burn", became mandatory viewing for firefighting trainees.[1] All new Navy recruits are required to view a training video titled Trial by Fire: A Carrier Fights for Life,[46][12][25] produced from footage of the fire and damage control efforts, both successful and unsuccessful.

Footage revealed that damage-control teams spraying firefighting foam on the deck to smother the burning fuel, which was the correct procedure, had their efforts negated by crewmen on the other side of the deck spraying seawater, which washed the foam away. The sea water worsened the situation by washing burning fuel through the holes in the flight deck and into the decks below. In response, a "wash down" system, which floods the flight deck with foam or water, was incorporated into all carriers, with the first being installed aboard Franklin D. Roosevelt during her 1968–1969 refit.[6][47] Many other fire-safety improvements also stemmed from this incident.[6]

Due to the first bomb blast, which killed nearly all of the trained firefighters on the ship, the remaining crew, who had no formal firefighting training, were forced to improvise.[48]

There is a very good youtube vid out there somewhere..
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 14:24   #19

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Footage revealed that damage-control teams spraying firefighting foam on the deck to smother the burning fuel, which was the correct procedure, had their efforts negated by crewmen on the other side of the deck spraying seawater, which washed the foam away. .
Par for the Navy.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 21:22   #20

Progress made in fighting the fire.

This is kind of surreal:

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 22:03   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I was in the navy during the time of the Forrestal fire. It was my experience that everybody get some firefighting training, usually a week long school. I went to FF school 3 times and my job was navigation not engineering or damage control.
Ship fires in my day were not that uncommon, especially with steam. But usually the fire out before it become news.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego