Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2018, 15:25   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Running out of diesel, no wind.

I carry a lot, likely too much fuel on deck, one reason is to “tanker”fuel so I can bypass expensive fuel and tanker up when it’s cheaper.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 16:17   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

I've never seen a post about the best way to lash fuel jugs to the boat. Some boats have jugs that would come loose in no time. I have ours in a gang of 3 and I need to undo the whole mess to get at just one. I do use Spectra for the lashings so I think the jugs will stay onboard.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 16:19   #18

Boat: Valiant 40
Running out of diesel, no wind.

It’s different on every boat. I don’t carry more that I can stash in the cockpit lockers if the weather turns. Clear decks and all that. I would not use spectra...if you take a wave over the side I’d rather lose the jugs than some stanchions AND the jugs lol
Old 19-08-2018, 16:42   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anything on my deck, I see as sacrificial, meaning if Wx gets real bad, maybe some day someone will find a use for it, cause it’s likely gone.
I just bungee the tanks.
Anchors being the exception I guess they are tied in well, cause how do you turn one loose if nothing else?
I even keep our five Dive tanks on deck, cause I’d rather lose them overboard than have them flying around down below.

Of course hopefully I will never be in Wx like that.
Old 19-08-2018, 16:42   #20

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Suijin;. I would not use spectra...if you take a wave over the side I’d rather lose the jugs than some stanchions AND the jugs lol[/QUOTE]

Interesting, mine are lashed to the shrouds and it's 1/4" line with a truckers hitch. I don't have any fear that it would pull the rig down and each handle would need to fail to loose them all.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 17:44   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There is also a story of someone gliding a DC-9 safely with no injuries onto a dike in Louisiana,

Boy, I bet SHE was sure surprised!
Old 19-08-2018, 17:58   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Running out of diesel, no wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Boy, I bet SHE was sure surprised!

Yeah, yeah.
I actually found it , it was a 737 and it has nothing to do with fire pull handles, likely mixing up two separate incidents
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACA_Flight_110
https://youtu.be/14DyBpYzwP4
Old 19-08-2018, 18:01   #23

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
There is also a story of someone gliding a DC-9 safely with no injuries onto a dike in Louisiana, it seems during the maintenance check the fire pull handles were cross wired, so when number #1 fire handle illuminated, the crew did what they were supposed to, shut down #1 engine and pull its fire handle, pulling the fire handle closed the fuel valve, and being cross wired #2 shut down, there are only two engines.
I can’t find that on the Internet though.
Boeing 737 glided onto a dike due to engines flaming out during passage thru a thunderstorm.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACA_Flight_110
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 18:55   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I live outside New Orleans, and I remember that incident. Despite what the Wikipedia article states, I don't think the top of the levee (dike) there is wide enough to accommodate the undercarriage of an airliner. I recall that they landed in a flat grassy area just next to the levee.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 20:13   #25

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Far and away the biggest reason for engine failure in aircraft is fuel starvation.
Yeah, I know it sucks to run out of fuel in a boat, but it sucks worse in an airplane, yet it happens

Time for an old joke.
During a Red Eye flight across the country, one engine went out.
Captain announced, "It's OK, we'll just be an hour late."
Another engine went out.
Captain announced, "It's OK, we'll just be two hours late."
Third engine, same thing. "Three hours late."
Then the blonde passenger turn edto her seatmate and said,

"If that fourth engine goes out, we'll be up here ALL NIGHT!"

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 21:46   #26

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I know this is going to sound like 'one-up-man-ship' but I believe Air Canada can claim bragging rights & provide documented evidence of how well a loaded, twin-engine Boeing 767 passenger plane did glide for almost half an hour, to land on a disused WWII airfield being used for car races.

If you're interested, read the book titled "FREEFALL" 41,000 Feet & Out of Fuel … the story of Air Canada Flight 143 on July 23, 1983 … written by Bill & Marion Hoffer, freelance journalists. If nothing else, it will show how a modern day aircraft, its crew & passengers all survived the unthinkable.

Of course, as was the case with "Miracle on the Hudson" it was also dependent on the great skill of the pilot, & the memory of his co-pilot. Be sure to read the book. It's a nail biter.

If you can't find it, I've got one new hard-cover copy; but it'll cost you $25 plus postage.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 22:27   #27

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I found it on abebooks for around $5.00. In English and German!
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 23:31   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

In keeping with the off topic air stories, let's not forget Speedbird 9 when a 747 glided for 13 minutes with all four engine out. While not fuel related, it was lack of clean air that kept them quiet. Apart from no power, a big issue for the flight crew was they had no idea at the time why the engines had failed.

The captain informed his passengers "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:30   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Sailing a wee boat, we too are bound to tie stuff on deck.

There is a reversed zodiac on the foredeck and water jugs midships.

All tied down well. Still, there have been small accidents when big waves overpowered us.

But we never carry spare diesel (on deck). This is a sailing boat. One tank is enough, and if we carry two extra jugs in the lockers, it is just in case of some dire emergency, say the rig goes overboard (touch wood).

Sailing from the West Indies to Canary Islands (3k miles, mostly upwind and calms) we used zero (null, 0) liters of diesel for propulsion. The only time the engine was up was to keep it nicely oiled and make sure it starts should we need it in haste.

I am not sure how people in sailing boats run out of fuel. Bad boats, bad sailors or both?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
However, you need only .25 hp per ton to get her to 1 sqrt lwl speed. Thus a 2.5 hp outboard should be fine to pull her into a lee side Pacific anchorage or a sheltered marina.
So, current and windage aside, rough numbers of a 30 ton, 45' catamaran, I only need 7.5hp to get her to 6.7 knots in flat water?

Just want to double-check my maths. Thanks.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, diesel