Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 17:02   #31

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Question about 'mayday' situations.

On a side note about CPR and how long to administer,

I thought it interesting that people who have blue ring octopus or cone shell bites are actually paralysed not dead. Their heart stops and they stop breathing but are alive and quite conscious they are aware and can hear everything but appear dead.

If you can continue effective CPR for up to 2 hours the effects will wear off and they may return to full health.
Old 22-08-2018, 17:31   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
On a side note about CPR and how long to administer,

I thought it interesting that people who have blue ring octopus or cone shell bites are actually paralysed not dead. Their heart stops and they stop breathing but are alive and quite conscious they are aware and can hear everything but appear dead.

If you can continue effective CPR for up to 2 hours the effects will wear off and they may return to full health.
I watched a yacht crew administer CPR for almost 2 hours once...the victim was clearly already gone (no octopus bites involved)...but I wasnt about to say that to them.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 18:12   #33

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

I lived in Puerto Rico for a couple of years and sailed the Virgins extensively. I was also married at the time. Wife and I took a cruise from San Juan down the Caribbean. We left SJ at around 10PM. All was well and the next morning we had breakfast on the aft deck. In looking at the surroundings I saw Sail Rock....no not possible...we’ve been cruising since 10PM. But I swore it was Sail Rock....
Turns out two philippino crew members were married and apparantly had a pretty good row that evening. The wife went to the rear of the ship and jumped. No one knew this until they couldn’t find her but found her shoes on the aft deck which I later learned is a sign that someone committed suicide by jumping.

We were still at sail rock the next day as the cruise ship was ordered to participate in the search and rescue operation. The captain came on later in the morning and announced a mayday was placed at XX hours after the discovery of the incident. The ship stayed on scene until they again made an announcement around 11AM that the coast guard had released them from the S&R operation. So, I guess if you go missing off a cruise ship it’s definately a Mayday situation.
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 18:27   #34

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenFleece View Post
I’m not refuting what you’re saying here, I just found it interesting that you bring this up right after a post about a man who collapsed, was given CPR, and survived...
1- they were minutes from the dock with the possibility of have an ALS service waiting.
2- Most people suck at determining the need for CPR. I've seen people demand CPR be given to their relative after rigor and lividity had set in, and I've seen people trying to give CPR to people with full pulse and breathing... just because they collapsed. Fortunately most people dont know how to give adequate compressions.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 20:23   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Disagree, MOB is a mayday, especially if it were me that had fallen in. I would want every vessel in the area keeping a watch out. Once the ship establishes it's a false alarm then cancel. Always err on caution first.

Possible MOB. i.e. you don't know if and if, the when/where.

Pan Pan will have every vessel in the area keeping a watch out.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 20:09   #36

If the body is pulled from cold waters, they’re not dead until they’re warm and dead...
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 21:14   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question about 'mayday' situations.

Has no one heard off "Pan Pan Medico".???
Its the call one uses for medical emergencies at sea.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 21:31   #38

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Sounds like someone's planning to push someone over the side of a cruise ship, hey?*

*jk
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 21:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Has no one heard off "Pan Pan Medico".???
Its the call one uses for medical emergencies at sea.
Nobody has heard of it (or heard it!) because it has long since been retired from active use. It is obsolete, and only of historical interest.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 00:55   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Who retired it and when..???

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-08-2018, 22:02   #41

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Who retired it and when..???
Good question, but I would ask who added it and when.

If we assume that the ITU Radio Regulations would be the relevant governing rulebook, then I'm not sure "PAN PAN MEDICO" in this context ever actually entered it to begin with.

I did find an old reference to it in a marine radiotelephone procedure document from the UK's Radio Authority (since merged into Ofcom); my guess is that the UK may have run with the idea on their own for a time.

Note: "PAN PAN MEDICAL" does exist, but is restricted to identifying medical transports as defined and protected by the Geneva Conventions. It appears to have entered the regs in the '82 edition and remains in subsequent editions.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:50   #42

As someone who works for the USCG if you think you need immediate assistance for threat to life or boat than call Mayday and don’t hesitate. If it is not an immediate threat than use Pan Pan. Hopefully you have a VHF or HF SSB that is DSC capable as they have capability for designating the nature of distress of you have time. If not just send without designating
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 09:08   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Good question, but I would ask who added it and when.

If we assume that the ITU Radio Regulations would be the relevant governing rulebook, then I'm not sure "PAN PAN MEDICO" in this context ever actually entered it to begin with.

I did find an old reference to it in a marine radiotelephone procedure document from the UK's Radio Authority (since merged into Ofcom); my guess is that the UK may have run with the idea on their own for a time.

Note: "PAN PAN MEDICAL" does exist, but is restricted to identifying medical transports as defined and protected by the Geneva Conventions. It appears to have entered the regs in the '82 edition and remains in subsequent editions.
Only ask as it was one of the calls in my UK VHF Course.. To be used for medical emergencies saving time and linking direct to medical advice and assistance.

Old 27-08-2018, 10:42   #44

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Pan pan is for a situation of urgency -- an urgent problem affecting the safety of the vessel or crew -- which could escalate into distress.

What is urgent about having a corpse on board? What's the effect on safety of the vessel? His condition is certainly not going to worsen. I think it's routine traffic.

Dude. Just ... dude. A corpse on board is urgent. Unless you have a walk in freezer that person is going over the side. Soon. Smelly.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:48   #45

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Only ask as it was one of the calls in my UK VHF Course.. To be used for medical emergencies saving time and linking direct to medical advice and assistance.

Ah, so to your original question I did find a 2012 thread on rib.net containing a few clues. A poster mentioned that the appended "medico" was the keyword for the BT Coast Stations to field such calls and link to medical assistance. Around the close of the century the Coastguard took over many of the Coast Station functions, and so the need for the keyword went away as all PAN PANs would be handled by them anyway. (Which also supports the idea that it was UK-specific.)
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote