Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2021, 06:05   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: M/T Tropic Breeze Struck by Mega Yacht Utopia IV and Sinks Off the Coast of New P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
The Tropic Breeze was a supply vessel of 343GT, and not a passenger vessel. The Regulations are:

“The regulation requires AIS to be fitted aboard all ships of 300 gross tonnage and upwards engaged on international voyages, cargo ships of 500 gross tonnage and upwards not engaged on international voyages and all passenger ships irrespective of size. The requirement became effective for all ships by 31 December 2004.”

It was not, from what I can gather, on an “international voyage” - it was doing inter-island supplying of fuels and cargo. Thus, reading the regulations, it was below the require 500GT and on a non-international voyage and not a passenger vessel. Only if it was on an international voyage would it be compulsory to transmit AIS as it was registered as a 343GT vessel. I hope it makes some logic - if I am wrong, I will be glad to admit my error.
Apologies for the passenger part, included it as the Utopia was/is technically one and was the other party..
The 2015 CG update..
https://www.milltechmarine.com/ais-r...ned%20below%29

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 06:07   #77

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: M/T Tropic Breeze Struck by Mega Yacht Utopia IV and Sinks Off the Coast of New P

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
This happens frequently from stashing magnetic or massive metallic stuff too close to your fluxgate compass. On a small boat, it can be difficult to keep everything outside the specified radius, all the time. In my case, there is a massive steel bridge near the entrance to the marina. If the chart and radar images of the bridge don’t line up properly, there is something too close to the fluxgate.
Perhaps, but not in my case. The GS25 provides the heading information to the entire nmea2000 system. The correct heading always appears on two IS40 displays, one IS42 display, and on my NSS chartplotter. The heading transmitted by the NAIS500 AIS unit is correct when the TP32 tillerpilot is in STBY or is unplugged. The NAIS500 transmits a heading of 000 or 359 only when the tillerpilot is in AUTO or NAV. The problem appears to be software related.

My point was not to whine about my poorly preforming Simrad system, but to reinforce jmj2002's comment that AIS heading information is occasionally in error, and that dependence on a single source of information in a potential collision situation is unwise. It is why eyes, ears, hand bearing compasses, radar, plotting boards (or their electronic equivalents), VHF, and night vision apparatus all exist.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 06:21   #78

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: M/T Tropic Breeze Struck by Mega Yacht Utopia IV and Sinks Off the Coast of New P

A lot of discussion about the poor watchkeeping of the overtaking yacht but almost no mention of a similar lack of watchkeeping by the tankers crew. My only knowledge of this collision comes from what I’ve read here, but I haven’t read anything about what actions the tanker crew took to avoid the vessel coming up from behind them. Or were they keeping such a poor watch that they didn’t see it coming so took no evasive action as the COLREGS require them to when the give way vessel doesn’t give way. Did I miss the part where they attempted to evade the yacht or has it not been mentioned or is it known that they took no evasive action?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 06:26   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Apologies for the passenger part, included it as the Utopia was/is technically one and was the other party..
The 2015 CG update..
https://www.milltechmarine.com/ais-r...ned%20below%29
Based on this AIS would have been required but this is USCG regulations so operating in Bahamian waters would not apply.

However, I would say that operating any large vessel, especially one hauling fuel, without use of AIS is the height of folly. Exceptions of course being made for operating in pirate zones or other situations where giving out ones position might be risky.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 07:04   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: M/T Tropic Breeze Struck by Mega Yacht Utopia IV and Sinks Off the Coast of New P

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Based on this AIS would have been required but this is USCG regulations so operating in Bahamian waters would not apply.

However, I would say that operating any large vessel, especially one hauling fuel, without use of AIS is the height of folly. Exceptions of course being made for operating in pirate zones or other situations where giving out ones position might be risky.
To me.. switching off once past the 12 mile mark is illogical and lets face it those waters fall under US rule anyway.
Mind.. from the history online they've been breaking the rule for over a year both in and out of US waters.. they ferry fuel from the US.
Not that this excuses Utopia whose duty was to avoid the tanker being the overtaking vessel.. poor watchkeeping, poor navigation or both.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 07:37   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
To me.. switching off once past the 12 mile mark is illogical and lets face it those waters fall under US rule anyway.
Mind.. from the history online they've been breaking the rule for over a year both in and out of US waters.. they ferry fuel from the US.
Not that this excuses Utopia whose duty was to avoid the tanker being the overtaking vessel.. poor watchkeeping, poor navigation or both.
Bahamian waters so no US authority there at least technically. There is a long term agreement by the Bahamas to allow USCG, DEA and CBP to operate in Bahamian waters for the interdiction of smugglers (drugs and people). If I recall, this requires a Bahamian official to be on board the US vessels and in any case would not apply to vessels not involved in criminal activity.

Regardless, like almost all collisions at sea, there will likely be fault found on both sides although in this case, a tanker that cruises at 12-15 kts or so might have trouble dodging a yacht moving at 28 kts.
Old 31-12-2021, 07:03   #82

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
But I'm not going to bother to argue with you since I note in other threads that you will go on and on and on.
He does go on, doesn't he?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:21   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Had a friend years ago who was a PhD professor teaching wetlands and environmental courses. This was his take on oil spills, basically all the lighter fractions will evaporate and leave very little behind.

But I do have to wonder how much low grade bunker fuel was in the tanks when the tanker sank.
This is a very small coastal tanker used for supplying the tiny out island cays that regular tankers can't get into. It just has plain old diesel engines and only carries diesel and gasoline. So no reason it would have any bunker fuel on board.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:23   #84

If I read the article correctly, the gas and fuel will percolate off the tanker, float to the surface and dissipate.

Probably an ignorant question, or a fun thought, but I wonder if the gases could come up in concentrations great enough to be flammable.

It would be a big surprise for the passing smoker who just flicked a cig into the water.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:31   #85

Quote:
What in the world would lead you to believe that waters outside 12 nm fall under "U.S. rules" for a foreign flagged vessel (Belize as it happens in this case). And what leads you to believe they ferry fuel from the U.S., my understanding from living on one of they Cays they service for part of the year is that they get their fuel from Freeport. As an aside, Freeport actually is a descriptive name, it's a tax free port for items in transit and as a result is used one of the major points where refined fuel is transshipped from. So it really wouldn't make much sense for them to go to the U.S. to get fuel.
Old 31-12-2021, 07:42   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
This is a very small coastal tanker used for supplying the tiny out island cays that regular tankers can't get into. It just has plain old diesel engines and only carries diesel and gasoline. So no reason it would have any bunker fuel on board.
That's good to hear. The bunker fuel used in the big boats these days is reported to be very nasty.
Old 31-12-2021, 07:43   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Utopia IV Tour ➥

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:53   #88

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

From a cruising perspective this might mean that fuel supplies might be a bit sparse until they get the boat replaced. I believe that this is the tanker that delivered fuel to Georgetown as well as the Abacos. It could also cause a lot of problems for the locals because these islands tend to use large diesel generators for electricity. I personally have no idea how common shallow draft tankers of this sort are or how easy it will be to replace it.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:57   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
From a cruising perspective this might mean that fuel supplies might be a bit sparse until they get the boat replaced. I believe that this is the tanker that delivered fuel to Georgetown as well as the Abacos. It could also cause a lot of problems for the locals because these islands tend to use large diesel generators for electricity. I personally have no idea how common shallow draft tankers of this sort are or how easy it will be to replace it.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3544977
Old 31-12-2021, 08:24   #90

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Utopia IV Tour
I only got halfway through. If she says "phenomenal" one more time I'm going to hunt her down and keel haul her.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gay, nassau, yacht