Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2018, 17:06   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Lost Their Boat Two Days into their Adventure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
Pretty hard to inspect keel bolts on a boat that doesn’t have any. The Columbia’s were encapsulated hulls, no?

Sounds more like the Bermuda Triangle shifted a little nor easterly this week.
Nope, this Columbia definitely had a bolt on keel, suspended from a substantial stub keel in the jull. Look at the drawings in Sailboat Data or elsewhere.

No triangle required.

Jim
Old 17-02-2018, 20:17   #32

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Nope, this Columbia definitely had a bolt on keel, suspended from a substantial stub keel in the jull. Look at the drawings in Sailboat Data or elsewhere.

No triangle required.

Jim
Very interesting. I didn’t know that. Thanks for the update. Makes more sense now

Glenn
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 22:53   #33

Boat: Pearson 367

Davidpm over on sailnet had a good lesson for beginners. He said you start off with two bags; one is filled with luck, the other is empty and you fill it with seamanship. Every time you make a mistake you take some out of the luck bag. The important thing is you fill up the seamanship bag before the luck bag gets empty. Obviously, this couple used up their luck bag in two days and never filled up their seamanship bag.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 04:54   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Davidpm over on sailnet had a good lesson for beginners. He said you start off with two bags; one is filled with luck, the other is empty...
Actually, that's a paraphrase of John Vigor’s:
“Black Box Theory”
The Black Box Theory: Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water . . . Why is it that some sailors go quietly about their business, consistently making quick, safe, and satisfying passages, while others lurch erratically from port to p
And his “Law of Unaverages”
John Vigor's Blog: The law of unaverages

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 06:03   #35

These two say that when they get their new boat, their goal is to make it THREE days without sinking. Baby step, you know.
Old 18-02-2018, 09:32   #36

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

A man here on the dock was given an old Samson 35ish ferro sailboat. He is a carpenter. He made new hatch covers for about 2 months. My husband volunteered to give him some sailing lessons, but when they went out, he was looking at the scenery, acting like a passenger and asked zero questions.

After a year of woodworking, he was talking to a friend down in Baja who said he just had a complete engine overhaul for $1600 and he decided to sail down there from up here (the US/Canadian border). He prepared like mad for a week. We all tried to talk him out of it but, no dice. I stopped trying when he said to me "If I don't get off this dock now, I'll end up like you, spending all my time and money on fixing the boat and I don't want to do that".

He set off at 2pm on a windy day that forecasted 30 knots by sundown. By the time he ran aground 30 miles away he was blocking a harbor entrance. He tried to get off for 2 days using all his maritime knowledge It was the end of a spring tide and the high tides he needed to float off wouldn't return for a month or so. The harbormaster told him if he didn't listen to his advice, he would declare his boat a danger to navigation and he (the harbormaster) would decide how to get it off.

A week later the guy came back to our harbor, somewhat (but not too much) embarassed by his "adventures", stripped the boat, gave it to the next chump and walked away to the next boat.

What I remember the most is the look on his face as he explained what had happened and he said to me with a straight face" "That boat has it in for me - I went out 3 times and I ran aground 3 times - that boat is bad luck."
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 17:56   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yeah, some people just don't "get it" that they need to learn stuff to "put some seamanship into the bag".

Ann

Tags
boat, lost