Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 10:17   #16

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Lost Their Boat Two Days into their Adventure?

Look at the chart for the entrance. 5’x150’ with 3’ just north of the channel. This is a channel the the locals can use in the day by sharing info. The breaking waves indicate shoals.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:22   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
There have always been people who jump in with little experience, and some come to calamity because of it, but I wonder if more of that will be happening now.
No, cause most people won't even get off their couch. You just hear about it more no (my opinion) cause 20 minutes later it's up on facebook/youtube/cruisersforum.

My opinion is though that you're seeing the consequence of a generation being brought up with no thought to mechanical maintenance, planning for what ifs, etc. Their parents just pay someone to maintain their possessions (change oil in the car, change out the filter in the AC of their house) and a repairman (charged to a credit card) are on speed dial. I get a ration of crap from my friends when we go on an adventure cause I'm the boyscout (prepped with tools, extra supplies etc) I imagine the generation behind me that's even more rare.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:28   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
No, cause most people won't even get off their couch. You just hear about it more no (my opinion) cause 20 minutes later it's up on facebook/youtube/cruisersforum.

My opinion is though that you're seeing the consequence of a generation being brought up with no thought to mechanical maintenance, planning for what ifs, etc. Their parents just pay someone to maintain their possessions (change oil in the car, change out the filter in the AC of their house) and a repairman (charged to a credit card) are on speed dial. I get a ration of crap from my friends when we go on an adventure cause I'm the boyscout (prepped with tools, extra supplies etc) I imagine the generation behind me that's even more rare.
I don't believe they represent their whole generation.

They just got ahead of themselves and simply didn't have the necessary boating experience.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:33   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

I read the other day that the big home improvement stores are beginning to hurt Sales wise and are instituting all kind of new how to videos, like how to read a measuring tape, how to drive a nail etc.
I’m not kidding, but apparently the younger kids today can video game like fiends, but can’t tell time on a clock that has hands, or use a measuring tape.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:39   #20

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I read the other day that the big home improvement stores are beginning to hurt Sales wise and are instituting all kind of new how to videos, like how to read a measuring tape, how to drive a nail etc.
I’m not kidding, but apparently the younger kids today can video game like fiends, but can’t tell time on a clock that has hands, or use a measuring tape.
What was even funnier was that the VP of Marketing at Home Depot thought it was a bad idea, it would be condesending for their customers but the market research revealed that the video series was needed/looked forward to by their customers.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:40   #21

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:42   #22

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Are you saying you don't trust the analysis of people with a combined total of a week of cruising experience to diagnose the problem with the boat?
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:43   #23

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I was raised with power boats, but started dreaming of sailing when my grampa gave me a copy of Peter Freuchen's Book of the Seven Seas, so at 21 bought my first boat. A converted Navy Whale ketch built on a hull from the 20's. I had never sailed. My older brother had taken 2 one hour sailing lessons a year or so earlier and so we took off one Saturday so he could teach me how to sail. About an hour or so later we were a couple of miles offshore and I smelled some chemical stank and went below to investigate to find over a foot of water over the floor boards. Searching around I found the leak, an 1 1/2 sink drain that had no valve at all was rotted clear through and pumping water in like a firehose. I had Bobby tack and found something to cram in the hole. Then I found the can of laquer thinner that was floating around with no cap and wedged it upright on the settee. Then I threw several buckets out into the cockpit until the fumes had me reeling and puking. Then I laid at the back of the cockpit puking for an hour or so as Bobby sailed us towards the harbor and pumped the boat out with the manual bilge pump. The old Graymarine wouldn't start and while I did get it running again later on, that day was the straw that broke the camels back and very soon no one I met could start it. We sailed into the slip that day. I did not learn to sail that day, but my otherbrother gave me an 11 foot Snark he got for Kool cigarette coupons, and 20 minutes after I launched it at Hansen Dam many of the sailing instructions I read made sense. After that, when the engine was kaput, and I could not afford an outboard because I bought The Delphi Tramp about 2 months before my first child was born and I was still an apprentice at work, I found that I could tie a line to my bow, throw it from finger to finger to the end of the dock five slips away, then raise the mizzen and the staysl, tie the tiller to hold the boat off the docks, push her out of the slip and run down to the end tie and pull like crazy until Tramp, as I called her, came by as pretty as you please and I would jump on and go sailing. I didn't know any better then, and probably should have at least had some minimum insurance, but no one cared back then. Sorry, just reminiscing about the good old days and that early problems don't necessarily stop dreams from coming true. The only thing I knew when I bought Tramp in 1974 was that if you left a safe harbor in a boat that was not double ended that you had a 113% chance of dying at sea. Turns out that was an exaggeration.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:44   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

As far as you being the boyscout, you'd be happy to know that now they allow girls to become members also........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:04   #25

Boat: 77' hallberg rassy 41

This video definitely explains alot. he called summit county "a crappy place" and not "exciting".
bstruebing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:26   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
It is possible to buy a boat for $1, invest $0 and be highly assured that you have a seaworthy vessel, but only if you know what you are doing and then execute accordingly.
I bought a paceship 29 for $100. It was filthy and needed a ton of work...but is was mostly paint and cosmetic work. The hull and rig were sound. Swing keel...no bolts.

I don't think the price of the boat determines the condition of the keel bolts.

As the fleet continues to age, keelbolts will become an increasing problem. I hate when people say things like "they should have inspected/checked the keel bolts". You can see the nuts on top, but the bolts themselves are usually embedded deep inside the keel and keel stump...and there is no way to check them short of ripping apart the keel. Encapsulated keels have no bolts, but have their own issues...the "Sailing Uma" video series shows how their Pearson 36 with encapsulated keel had structural issues, which they repaired themselves with lots of fiberglass.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 12:01   #27

Boat: 32 contessa

Realy we have had 145 post about these uninsured people ,, do we need to start this again ,,FFS

Just check here ,,,
AND LADYS AND GENTELMEN DONT FORGET THE

"GO FUND ME PAGE "

christ sake !

Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize - Page 16 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 12:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUS View Post
Is it possible to buy a liveaboard boat for $5,000, invest another $5,000 and be highly assured that you have a seaworthy vessel? I feel for them, and admire adventurers, but is this a really unforeseeable outcome?
I think that is hard to know. With their limited budget AND limited knowledge, the outcome is a crap shoot. That said, a knowledgeable person might have made all the diffeence.
The exact budget did not doom them, they could have spent 5 times that and still met disaster. I doubt that the keel bolts on this Columbia 28 were inspected by a knowledgeable person.
Can you buy an ocean ready cruiser for 10 grand? Yes, I have done that myself- it was obviously worth more. You can also spend 50G or more on a boat worth very little.
SailnBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:53   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For those of you who may be interested, there is further discussion of the loss of Lagniappe here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ze-197254.html

Ann
Old 17-02-2018, 17:02   #30

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Pretty hard to inspect keel bolts on a boat that doesn’t have any. The Columbia’s were encapsulated hulls, no?

Sounds more like the Bermuda Triangle shifted a little nor easterly this week.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lost