Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2022, 20:57   #46

Re: Is there any point in keeping our SSB radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I never felt that way about the VHF until we spent time in south Florida. The never ending coast guard announcements, the mindless blabbing….etc.
I switched to a handheld VHF years ago not one hole or cable or antenna on my boat , I ditched the radar a while back too Also as an afterthought I consider a handheld aircraft radio line of site is pretty much a limitless and there are a lot of aircraft overhead I have no personal experience with this but I have heard is quite effective
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 21:48   #47

My next sail to the Marquesas won't rely on my SSB. My Inreach is perfect and by winter my Starlink will allow me to watch Green Acres reruns 1000 miles off shore.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 09:27   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
by winter my Starlink will allow me to watch Green Acres reruns 1000 miles off shore.

Definitely the reason I venture offshore!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 09:39   #49

Boat: Lagoon 380

A lot a software has to run correctly for the commercial sat based systems to work. Cyber security is a real risk.
I like my inreach, but keeping my hf/ssb.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 12:14   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
A lot a software has to run correctly for the commercial sat based systems to work. Cyber security is a real risk.
I like my inreach, but keeping my hf/ssb.

It’s great to see people reaching for all sorts of edge case justifications to keep HF. I like it.
Old 17-06-2022, 14:38   #51

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s great to see people reaching for all sorts of edge case justifications to keep HF. I like it.

Or maybe people just like using HF. I like that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 15:37   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But it's the edge-cases where alternatives and redundancy prove their worth. If everything worked all the time and nobody ever needed help then the answers would be simple.

You are free to decide how close to the edge you want to consider. I've never needed to use any of my safety/comms gear to save myself, but I still carry some safety/comms gear.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 15:42   #53

Quote:
But it helped somebody once in 1972 so theres is that.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 15:47   #54
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
But it's the edge-cases where alternatives and redundancy prove their worth. If everything worked all the time and nobody ever needed help then the answers would be simple.

You are free to decide how close to the edge you want to consider. I've never needed to use any of my safety/comms gear to save myself, but I still carry some safety/comms gear.
The point is that the current sat based long range kit largely delivers most people’s requirements , is straightfoward to operate and its comparatively cheap to buy. Commercial marine HF for example is very very quiet these days , amateur radio is a hobby in itself and hence isn’t comparable.

Safety decisions really have to run along the median , it’s entirely unlikely iridium etc will suddenly get shut down and if it does your actual safety isn’t actually compromised unless you actively need it. Equally in some major international catastrophe , you’re unlike to be worried about sat comms !!

Hence we could trade claims and counterclaims as to which is more reliable Marine HF or sat comms. I would argue , for the vast majority of people who are not “ radio aficionados” sat comms , is simple to use , works and is a reasonable cost. That makes it safe.

If you , like me , like HF in all its forms , sure knock yourself out but that point of view is not mainstream in my opinion
Old 17-06-2022, 15:50   #55

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
But it helped somebody once in 1972 so theres is that.

Good one [emoji106]
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 15:57   #56

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I've never needed to use any of my safety/comms gear to save myself,
We didn't have to use ham to save ourselves, but we did, one time, call on the VHF for help. We had run aground on a coral head in Kaneohe Bay (Oahu). The tide had covered up the pipe that was the bommy marker. We hadn't realized it was a king tide. We had tried getting the main up to heel the boat. (my bad! didn't check to be sure the shackle was tight, so straight to the masthead it went!) Jim swam out an anchor, so we could try to winch ourselves off, but couldn't budge the boat, and so he put out a call for help.

You never know who will need help or when, or what kind.

We've responded to many calls over the years, both VHF and HF, and glad to do it. Using it increases camaraderie, too. On our first trip from Mexico to the Marquesas, we all checked into the Seafarer's Net, and then took our mob off to another frequency, where we had limerick contests, and discussed strategies, and other events of our days. One can use SSB for fun. But fxy especially wrote that they do not like to use it for chatting. His boat, his choice.

Ann
Old 17-06-2022, 16:27   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The point is that the current sat based long range kit largely delivers most people’s requirements , is straightfoward to operate and its comparatively cheap to buy. Commercial marine HF for example is very very quiet these days , amateur radio is a hobby in itself and hence isn’t comparable.

Safety decisions really have to run along the median , it’s entirely unlikely iridium etc will suddenly get shut down and if it does your actual safety isn’t actually compromised unless you actively need it. Equally in some major international catastrophe , you’re unlike to be worried about sat comms !!

Hence we could trade claims and counterclaims as to which is more reliable Marine HF or sat comms. I would argue , for the vast majority of people who are not “ radio aficionados” sat comms , is simple to use , works and is a reasonable cost. That makes it safe.

If you , like me , like HF in all its forms , sure knock yourself out but that point of view is not mainstream in my opinion
These are all valid points, and I don't argue with any of them. If I had to choose between satphone and SSB, I would choose satphone every time. And that is indeed the mainstream position.

But the there are other factors beyond personal utility that some may wish to consider (and we have already discussed here, so I won't belabor the point).
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 07:41   #58

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Is there any reason to keep the SSB for safety comms for an offshore cruiser?
Consider that if you eliminate that and go exclusively with GPS/Starlink/Satphone you're now fully reliant on satellites for 100% of your navigation and long range communication.

We have an SSB that I've decided to keep, if for no other reason than redundancy. I've actually decided to sit down and learn celestial navigation as well. GPS can be turned off for national security reasons and the world is a rather unstable place right now.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 11:27   #59

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The thing is, foxy, that anything from selfish business practices (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rs-265449.html) to wars, to a lightening strike can take out sophisticated electronics. Electronics being inherently unstable anyway, to say nothing of the possibility of an on board water intrusion. But, there are so many radio hams all over the world who are equipped for emergency comms, that one of them could help you or get help for you from a Rescue Communication Center when your fancy stuff is down, in the event you might want it (illness or injury aboard, maybe?).

Ann

And, once you own one they are poverty proof unlike satcoms with their ongoing charges.
Old 14-08-2022, 13:56   #60
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

And, once you own one they are poverty proof unlike satcoms with their ongoing charges.
Well my iridium phone is now 12 years old and still works. So I don’t know what you are talking about

Tags
radio, ssb