Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 10:57   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: ICW Status Reports After Hurricanes in 2018

Today I viewed the following page on the Waterway Guide site.

It is an outstanding resource for ICW hurricane damage reports.

This single page has a long table of information about the many marinas along the ICW that may have been affected by Hurricane Florence. The page is focused on Hurricane Reports from those marinas, and includes information about which are open and which are closed (status).

I suggest viewing the page to see how your voyage on the ICW may be affected.

The table of information includes when the last update to that entry was made, and the table itself is nicely color coded to show GREEN (open) RED (Closed) YELLOW (unknown status). There are many marina’s on the table.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/hurric...ews+09-19-2018

FYI: I have no connection to WaterWay Guide as a business. I am simply passing on information I think may help other sailors/boaters here on CF.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 12:51   #17

While we won’t be in Belhaven for another 5 days (+/-) I just received a report from a good friend and resident. The 2 managers of Belhaven Marina stayed during the hurricane to keep customers boats secure. That alone should be incentive to stop. The grocery store and at least one restaurant have reopened. Ace Hardware is also open. The community is anxious and appreciative for cruisers to stop. Fuel options include River Dunes in Oriental (they currently have fuel) and Dowry Creek expects to be pumping by weeks end.
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 07:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahoy!
The USCG recently (Sept 16, 2018) announced the publication of the 2018 edition of the Coast Pilot for the Atlantic (region 4).

U.S. Coast Pilot 4, Atlantic Coast: Cape Henry, VA to Key West, FL, 50th Edition, 2018,

Here is a link to the latest edition (it replaces the 2017 edition).
https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ...lot/index.html

Source:
PUBLICATION–National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA ) –
U.S. Coast Pilot 4, Atlantic Coast: Cape Henry, VA to Key West, FL, 50th Edition, 2018, has been issued and is ready for free download and weekly updates at https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ...lot/index.html.

Only Print-on-Demand (POD) bound copies are available for purchase; visit http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/p...ml#coast-pilot.

The 2018 Edition cancels the preceding 2017 Edition, and incorporates all previous corrections.
Old 20-09-2018, 15:56   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here’s a very good tip I received from BOB423 (Robert Sherer on Facebook), who is a WaterWay Guide editor/contributor.

See the list on the page I linked up above.

The list of Hurricane Damage on The WaterWay Guide site can be sorted by mile marker on the ICW.

As BOB423 wrote: “It also includes bridge closures and the columns can be sorted, by mile marker if desired.”

That would make it easy to use when checking your projected voyage.

I like that.
Old 21-09-2018, 17:14   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I saw this posted today:

VA: Dismal Swamp Canal - Operating Schedule
VA: Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal, Centerville Turnpike Bridge has reopened
VA: Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal, North Landing Bridge has reopened
NC: Pamlico Sound, Big Slough Foot Channel, nav aid off station
NC: Pamlico Sound, Teaches Hole Channel, nav aids missing
NC: Ocracoke Inlet, nav aids off station
NC: Neuse River, Channel Light 6 destroyed
NC: Neuse River, Adams Creek, Intracoastal Mile 184.5, nav aid "1AC" destroyed
NC: New Bern, Alfred Cunningham Bridge, closure due to Hurricane Florence
NC: Harkers Island, Harkers Island Bridge, closed due to Hurricane Florence
NC: Beaufort Inlet Channel, nav aids off station
NC: Port of Morehead City, normal operations
NC: Intracoastal Waterway Mile 240.7, Onslow Beach Swing Bridge, closed due to hurricane damage
NC: Intracoastal Waterway Mile 278.1, Figure 8 Island Swing Bridge, closure due to Hurricane Florence
NC: Wilmington, Port Condition Recovery
NC: Cape Fear Memorial Bridge, closure due to damage from Hurricane Florence
NC: Cape Fear River, Isabel Holmes Bridge, closure due to damage from Hurricane Florence
NC: Cape Fear River, Lighted Buoy 26 reported off station
NC: Cape Fear River, Lighted Buoy 20 reported off station
NC: Cape Fear River, Lighted Buoy 16 reported off station
NC: Cape Fear River Entrance Channel, nav aid off station
SC: Intracoastal Waterway Miles 365.0 - 375.0, reduced bridge clearances
SC: Intracoastal Waterway Mile 371.0, Socastee Swing Bridge inoperable
SC: Port of Georgetown, normal operations
SC: Port of Charleston, normal operations
SC: Stono River, Intracoastal Waterway Mile 484.0, nav aid destroyed
SC: Port of Beaufort, normal operations

Hurricane Florence Related Reports:

Also, I saw a brief TV news video clip that showed a breached dike on a river was threatening a coal fired power station.

And this report in Time.com
“Duke Energy said Friday that a dam containing a large lake at Wilmington power plant has been breached by floodwaters from Florence, and it’s possible coal ash from an adjacent dump is flowing into the Cape Fear River.”

Also saw this reported today:

Officials are reporting the death toll from Hurricane Florence has increased to 31, with 24 victims in North Carolina.”
Old 23-09-2018, 11:04   #21

Today Sunday September 23rd I called and made contact with Onslow Beach Swing Bridge. As previously reported the bridge is closed, however it is closed to car traffic and open to boat traffic. It will remain that way for several months because the beaches have been destroyed and need beach restoration. So while the trip still has challenges, Onslow is not one of them. We are just above Albermarle Sound and to date the trip has been uneventful
Old 24-09-2018, 08:24   #22

Seems to be a lot of interest in the height of the Wilkerson Bridge in the Alligator River Pungo River canal. At 11:30 AM on Monday September 24th the height was 64 feet. To this point everything has been without issue
Old 25-09-2018, 10:06   #23

I need to amend my earlier report regarding the Onslow Swing Bridge. I was previously informed that it was in the open position for boats. Today September 25 we just went through the bridge at 12:30 PM. The bridge resume normal operations on September 17th. I’m not sure how it changed from my phone call of two days earlier but it is working and on it’s normal hour and half hour schedule.
Old 25-09-2018, 11:25   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderd View Post
I need to amend my earlier report regarding the Onslow Swing Bridge. I was previously informed that it was in the open position for boats. Today September 25 we just went through the bridge at 12:30 PM. The bridge resume normal operations on September 17th. I’m not sure how it changed from my phone call of two days earlier but it is working and on it’s normal hour and half hour schedule.
Thanks for adding your observations and updated info too.
Old 25-09-2018, 12:26   #25

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

From Boat US East Coast Alerts

AICW Closed in South Carolina due to High Waters:
The Captain of the Port Charleston (COTP) has established a temporary safety zone on all waters of the Waccamaw River along the Intracoastal Waterway (AICW) from Winyah Bay to the Little River Swing Bridge (AICW statute mile marker 415 to 345), all waters of the Sampit River, all waters of the Great Pee Dee River from Winyah Bay northward to Pee Dee Game Management Area, and all waters of the Black River from its junction with the Great Pee Dee northward to U. S> Highway 701 Bridge. State and Federal authorities have determined that potential hazards associated with and resulting from high waters of the Waccamaw River and Great Pee Dee River are present in the area.

This rule is effective from September 24, 2018, through October 19, 2018, or until waters recede and conditions allow for safe navigation, whichever occurs first. The duration of the safety zone is intended to protect personnel, vessels and the marine environment while the Waccamaw River and Great Pee Dee River experience high water conditions. No vessel or person will be permitted to enter the safety zone without obtaining permission from the COTP or a designated representative.

To seek permission to enter the safety zone, contact the COTP or the COTP’s representative via VHF-FM channel 16, or through Coast Guard Sector Charleston’s Command Center at 843-740-7050. Those in the safety zone must comply with all lawful orders or directions given them by the COTP or the COTP’s designated representative.

Designated representative means a Coast Guard coxswain, petty officer, or other officers operating a Coast Guard vessel and a Federal, State or local officer designated by or assisting the COTP in the enforcement of the safety zones.

This MSIB can be viewed at https://homeport.uscg.mil/port-directory/charleston. For questions or concerns regarding this MSIB, please contact Sector Charleston Waterways Management Division at (843) 323-7761, the Sector’s 24-hourt Command Center at (843) 740-7050, the Horry County Emergency Operations Center at (843) 915-5150, or the Georgetown County Emergency Operations Center at (843) 545-3273.

(MSIB 40-18, USCG Sector Charleston)
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 13:43   #26

Figure Eight Swing bridge also fully operational.
Old 25-09-2018, 16:36   #27

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull

following
Old 25-09-2018, 17:39   #28

Boat: Krogen 42

Following
Old 25-09-2018, 17:42   #29

Following