Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2019, 20:50   #76

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Help from Pan pan call

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I was taught (and teach) that you don't address a pan pan to anyone.
Per the ITU Radio Regs:

33.8B 3) In the maritime mobile service, urgency communications may be addressed either to all stations or to a particular station. When using digital selective calling techniques, the urgency announcement shall indicate which frequency is to be used to send the subsequent message and, in the case of a message to all stations, shall use the “All Ships” format setting.

and

33.12 §6 1) The urgency call should consist of the following, taking into account Nos. 32.6 and 32.7:
–the urgency signal “PAN PAN”, spoken three times;
–the name of the called station or “ALL STATIONS”, spoken three times;
–the words “THIS IS”;

... etc.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 21:18   #77

Boat: Venture ketch 14.7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
Hello

I would like to know if the boat which answers to Pan Pan call, has the right to ask for payment, after it pulls you to the port?
Pan. 'Possible assistance needed'. No action is required by anyone listening other than authorities. Any other vessel MAY prepare for assistance should a mayday be called if they feel that other assistance is not available.

This is just an advice that assistance may be required in the near future should circumstances worsen. If those circumstances are imminent, then a mayday should have been called in the first place.
aqua de vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 21:19   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Per the ITU Radio Regs:

33.8B 3) In the maritime mobile service, urgency communications may be addressed either to all stations or to a particular station. When using digital selective calling techniques, the urgency announcement shall indicate which frequency is to be used to send the subsequent message and, in the case of a message to all stations, shall use the “All Ships” format setting.

and

33.12 §6 1) The urgency call should consist of the following, taking into account Nos. 32.6 and 32.7:
–the urgency signal “PAN PAN”, spoken three times;
–the name of the called station or “ALL STATIONS”, spoken three times;
–the words “THIS IS”;

... etc.

This is correct.

@StuM, Keep in mind that the use of PAN-PAN is to clear the channel for priority communication. If you are, for example, trying to have an uninterrupted conversation about your urgent situation with the coast guard, you would be addressing a coast guard station directly through your PAN-PAN communication.

For example;
PAN-PAN PAN-PAN PAN-PAN
Canadian Coast Guard radio, Canadian Coast Guard radio, Canadian Coast Guard radio
This is YaddaYacht, YaddaYacht, YaddaYacht

I have a passenger who has been hit with a boom and needs an ambulance at <port> when we arrive.

You are trying to clear the channel of lesser important communication as well as communicate directly with a station that can assist with your urgent situation. In this case it is appropriate to address a specific station so that you are heard.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 21:27   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua de vida View Post
Pan. 'Possible assistance needed'<snip>.
errr... PAN does not stand for "Possible Assistance Needed". That's an incorrect "backronym" that someone made up. PAN is actually derived from a term in the French language.

The action required is to listen for at a short time and not interfere with the communication.

"The urgency signal has priority over all other communications except distress. Stations that hear the urgency signal shall continue to listen for at least three minutes on the frequency which the signal was heard. After that, if no urgency message has been heard, an aeronautical ground station should, if possible, be notified of the receipt of the urgency signal and normal working may be resumed. All stations that hear the urgency signal must take care not to interfere with the urgency message which follows. Stations that are in communication on frequencies other than those used for the transmission of the urgency message may continue normal work without interruption provided that the urgency message is not addressed to all stations."

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf09802.html
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 03:02   #80
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
I would say that an act of a Good Samaritan does not involve a financial transaction, or liability, in any case, whether on land as in a car accident, or a marine emergency.
There are many "Good Samaritan" laws written for different situations. All that I have seen have wording like: "when assistance is provided without the expectation of compensation." If you ask for money, your limitation of liability evaporates.

I've towed several commercial fishing boats that were DIW back to port. All I have to do now is sit down at the harbor bar, and beers just appear in front of me. That's the best compensation!

On thing to be mindful of though: If you are professionally licensed, say as an emergency medical technician (EMT) or as a commercial tow master; then you will be held to a higher standard of "due care" and you may not be protected at all by Good Samaritan laws when providing assistance within your area of specialized training. That's why it's not a good idea to inflate your expertise if something goes wrong.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 06:06   #81

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
This is true but 26' and you still need a captain's license to accept money for towing . You can be anyone as long as the tow is not chargeable...meaning within a company. Like the guys who push around little piledriver barges, they don't need anything because the pile driver company owns the rowboat.and barge.

I also believe in the US at least it doesn't matter who provides the towline,assistance is assistance and billible if obvious.

No you do not have to provide assistance in any case, only save souls from drowning.

The reason the FWC guys didn't tow is the boat was already being assisted and the are generally prohibited from interfering with assistance towing anyway so taking the tow might have been against their policy.
Also standing by in case something went bad. Like a cop parking behind your car with his lights going as you change a flat tire. He'll make sure you don't get run over, but probably not help you change the tire.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 11:58   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
errr... PAN does not stand for "Possible Assistance Needed". That's an incorrect "backronym" that someone made up. PAN is actually derived from a term in the French language.
Yep.

The French term from which "Pan" is derived is "en panne", which means "broken down"

Mayday = m'aidez, "help me"

Sécurité = "safety"
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:02   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post

For example;
PAN-PAN PAN-PAN PAN-PAN
Canadian Coast Guard radio, Canadian Coast Guard radio, Canadian Coast Guard radio
This is YaddaYacht, YaddaYacht, YaddaYacht

I have a passenger who has been hit with a boom and needs an ambulance at <port> when we arrive.

I would suggest that is a "mayday" situation.

I had an ambulance meet my boat when a shipmate went into status epilepsy. That was a mayday call.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal