Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2018, 10:35   #61

Re: Four crew rescued from disabled sailboat off coast of Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
It is like a crowed anchorage when a lone boat comes in, and out come the crews from other boats with their sundowners for the entertainment and the usual oh they should have done it that way , oh that anchor is to small etc.
No! Some of us were born and raised right there! Thus, some of us have real experience. Please see the attached photo. Close enough?

What it is "really like" is "Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder why they were out there this time of the year. It gets cold."

His/her friend who posted here stated that the skipper was delivering a yacht.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 3.26.16 AM.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	182491  
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 10:39   #62

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So I wonder if the emergency tiller was unavailable or if the actual issue was locked steering gear? If the steering gear is hydraulic then shouldn’t there be a way to disconnect it easily?

And no the weather at the time the photo was taken doesn’t look that bad, or at least manageable. As far as cold and wet I would assume people would pack according to the worse possible weather that could be expected?
Still learning lessons and yes I want to see speculations so as to learn new possibility life saving information.
Old 19-12-2018, 10:40   #63

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No! Some of us were born and raised right there! Thus, some of us have real experience. Please see the attached photo. Close enough?

What it is "really like" is "Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder why that they were out there this time of the year. It gets cold.

His/her friend who posted here stated that the skipper was delivering a yacht.
No disrespect the North Atlantic covers a vast Distance and borders many countries , which I live in one , Winter sailing is not unheard off in fact it happens quite regularly , fishing boats also go out in all conditions do we chastise them. he is a delivery skipper it may have been his job , like those fisherman who go out, and Guess what sometimes the conditions are not what our wonderful electronic devices tells us , they GET it wrong .
Ah the critics are out today
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 10:47   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So I wonder if the emergency tiller was unavailable or if the actual issue was locked steering gear? If the steering gear is hydraulic then shouldn’t there be a way to disconnect it easily?

And no the weather at the time the photo was taken doesn’t look that bad, or at least manageable. As far as cold and wet I would assume people would pack according to the worse possible weather that could be expected?
Still learning lessons and yes I want to see speculations so as to learn new possibility life saving information.
So you can speculate what! because you are not getting answers, so therefore your speculations are worthless,because people can only speculate the answers
therefore creating one big SPECULATION that no one really knows, and I love the the weather dose not look bad , it was probably a few hours before those cutters got to him , and we also know that pictures are in 2 dimensions which does not ever reflect the size of waves , how do we know and I am going to speculate that he might of hit a whale , or a rogue wave hit him, all not his fault , but we want to believe and argue his incompetence, the true nature of certain humans
Old 19-12-2018, 10:51   #65

Quote:
No disrespect the North Atlantic covers a vast Distance and borders many countries , which I live in one , Winter sailing is not unheard off in fact it happens quite regularly , fishing boats also go out in all conditions do we chastise them. he is a delivery skipper it may have been his job , like those fisherman who go out, and Guess what sometimes the conditions are not what our wonderful electronic devices tells us , they GET it wrong .
Ah the critics are out today
Yeah, yeah, yeah ... blah, blah.

I've sailed "right there", man. It gets cold. We locals (hahaha) all know about sailing and fishing in the North-West Atlantic in December. I gave you my exact location. In fact, it is my forum name. Did you see the Google photo? Ever notice where iceberg hazards typically like to float around?

Anything else you'd like to add?
Old 19-12-2018, 10:55   #66

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah ... blah, blah.

I've sailed "right there", man. It gets cold. We locals (hahaha) all know about sailing and fishing in the North-West Atlantic in December. I gave you my exact location. In fact, it is my forum name. Did you see the Google photo? Ever notice where iceberg hazards typically like to float around?

Anything else you'd like to add?
What are you talking about , another person believing in their own nostalgic world , Canada and the NW do not hold the only bad weather patterns of the North Atlantic I appreciate you do not travel much but there is a larger expanse of water out there, and what the hell does the water temp have to do with anything , is this more SPECULATION
Old 19-12-2018, 11:14   #67

Quote:
What are you talking about , another person believing in their own nostalgic world , Canada and the NW do not hold the only bad weather patterns of the North Atlantic I appreciate you do not travel much but there is a larger expanse of water out there, and what the hell does the water temp have to do with anything , is this more SPECULATION
More speculation? No. But here are some facts, Einstein. The Gulf Stream warms the North-East Atlantic. Maine and Nova Scotia get very cold in the winter. The rescued folks were sailing around the Grand Banks in mid December. Icebergs float around there. Travel much? Yup. Plenty. Have a house in Athens, and am now in Japan. I've sailed ALL over. South Pacific, Caribbean, and California too!

It gets very cold in the North-West Atlantic in the winter time. I know. Been there.

Anything else?
Old 19-12-2018, 11:18   #68

AKA:

Yes, precisely! I have no retrospective way of knowing what the conditions were like at the time the MAYDAY went out. My weatherchart tells me that at this moment the wind is 35knts from the west in the position where Makena lay at the time of abandonment.

It also looks on today's chart as if an intense cyclone may have passed to the south of her, which would be consistent with her having been under headsl alone. It would also be consistent, given her general design, with the AP not having been man enuff for the job, and with skipper, having seas rolling up under his quarter in a boat that sails ON the sea rather than IN the sea, deciding that discretion was the better part of valour.

We have been told, by one of us, that skipper was competent. We do not have the same intelligence about the crew. Pending clarification of this point, there is a possibility that skipper was effectively singlehanding.

A common way of connecting rams to a tiller is by means of forks on the rams engaging lugs on the tiller. These parts are connected by means of clevises which are secured with split pins. When these pins and clevises are slipped the rams can be swung out of the way of the tiller pivoting on the clevises on their fixed ends. A pair of needle-nosed pliers is all it takes to disengage the rams if the gear is well maintained.

But that is of no use, of course, in a wheel-steered boat unless the wheel linkage is operational. A great many boats with wheel steering, as this boat indubitably had, have no way of shipping an emergency tiller in the quadrant.

All speculation, of course, but if this speculation is close to the mark, one wonders if the skipper had fallen prey to the "it'll be alright just this time" syndrome?

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 11:21   #69

Quote:
More speculation? No. But here are some facts, Einstein. The Gulf Stream warms the North-East Atlantic. Maine and Nova Scotia get very cold in the winter. The rescued folks were sailing around the Grand Banks in mid December. Icebergs float around there. Travel much? Yup. Plenty. Have a house in Athens, and am now in Japan. I've sailed ALL over. South Pacific, Caribbean, and California too!

It gets very cold in the North-West Atlantic in the winter time. I know. Been there.

Anything else?
Resorting to name calling shows your true character , and how easily you get baited into replying like a spoiled child , there was no mention of Icebergs so again are you SPECULATING. Is the grand Banks a banned sailing area in December , and god help those natives that have to put up with you in other countries , with you absurd manner
Old 19-12-2018, 11:26   #70

A couple of our members are resorting to name calling. If there is any more of that, subsequent to post #69, I shall close the thread!

TP (as moderator)
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 11:27   #71

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Not by speculating and gossiping , and your questions were not objective more like certain criticism , so please I would rather read a proper report than the gossip and moral high ground of people who were not there and are fantasizing of the outcome like a gabble of ducks escalating the drama.
As like most sports and activities each go about their tasks differently , there is no right or wrong. a female sailor was rescued in the southern Atlantic Ocean part of a race ,but because it was a race there is no criticism , but we land on this skipper like a bad rash with our tongues sloping out the gossip
It is like a crowed anchorage when a lone boat comes in, and out come the crews from other boats with their sundowners for the entertainment and the usual oh they should have done it that way , oh that anchor is to small etc.
It's easy to critique after the fact.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 11:30   #72

Quote:
Resorting to name calling shows your true character , and how easily you get baited into replying like a spoiled child , there was no mention of Icebergs so again are you SPECULATING. Is the grand Banks a banned sailing area in December , and god help those natives that have to put up with you in other countries , with you absurd manner
Absurd? No. Logical. I mentioned icebergs. Did you look at the far left side of the original photo? Here ya go, bubba. It's either sea spray, or an iceberg at about 4-6 nautical miles. Hard to tell. Probably sea spray. Have a nice day, wherever you are, or have been, or will ever be.

Sayonara, watashi-no tomodachi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 4.23.16 AM.png
Views:	254
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	182498  
Old 19-12-2018, 11:32   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
AKA:

Yes, precisely! I have no retrospective way of knowing what the conditions were like at the time the MAYDAY went out. My weatherchart tells me that at this moment the wind is 35knts from the west in the position where Makena lay at the time of abandonment.

It also looks on today's chart as if an intense cyclone may have passed to the south of her, which would be consistent with her having been under headsl alone. It would also be consistent, given her general design, with the AP not having been man enuff for the job, and with skipper, having seas rolling up under his quarter in a boat that sails ON the sea rather than IN the sea, deciding that discretion was the better part of valour.

We have been told, by one of us, that skipper was competent. We do not have the same intelligence about the crew. Pending clarification of this point, there is a possibility that skipper was effectively singlehanding.

A common way of connecting rams to a tiller is by means of forks on the rams engaging lugs on the tiller. These parts are connected by means of clevises which are secured with split pins. When these pins and clevises are slipped the rams can be swung out of the way of the tiller pivoting on the clevises on their fixed ends. A pair of needle-nosed pliers is all it takes to disengage the rams if the gear is well maintained.

But that is of no use, of course, in a wheel-steered boat unless the wheel linkage is operational. A great many boats with wheel steering, as this boat indubitably had, have no way of shipping an emergency tiller in the quadrant.

All speculation, of course, but if this speculation is close to the mark, one wonders if the skipper had fallen prey to the "it'll be alright just this time" syndrome?

TP
A much more constructive and more open argument to the facts of the matter my only issue and the reason I am on her arguing , is the fact we are constantly looking for fault with the Skipper, rather , than something on the Boat just sheared off. the Hanse is a moderate production boat and is priced for that market, if it was taking punishing weather there is a possibility of gear failure, also the Skipper has a responsibility as Captain of the vessel under maritime law to protect his crew , therefore he did the right and for a better word the manly thing and called for help to allow his crew to be saved , I applaud the man , rather than saying no I will be fine he called for help , if he had a more experienced crew (Speculating) they might have controlled the situation. do we shout and some one for phoning for an ambulance when someone falls over in the street and when the paramedics arrive they realize the person only fainted , but was it the wrong thing to do ?
Old 19-12-2018, 11:37   #74

Quote:
Absurd? No. Logical. I mentioned icebergs. Did you look at the far left side of the original photo? Here ya go, bubba. It's either sea spray, or an iceberg at about 4-6 nautical miles. Hard to tell. Probably sea spray. Have a nice day, wherever you are, or have been, or will ever be.

Sayonara, watashi-no tomodachi.
Either Seaspray or an Iceberg could you please indulge me, what is it in your opinion , this is a silly thing to post and only adds to the usual drama which has not happened.
By adding this it only defines the logic of you previous answers
Old 19-12-2018, 11:43   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Tarian you seem to be really defensive concerning any discussions about the crew are you sure you aren't directly connected to the incident? Just wondering

Tags
boat, crew, nova scotia, rescue, sail, sailboat