Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 08:54   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Does satphone lessen or cancel need for EPIRB?

A Sat phone is not an epirb. If I had to choose one it would be an epirb and I would log with authorities my passages. Both is better again. Epirb and inreach is the combination I use.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:59   #32

Boat: Sadler 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
The 9575 iridium is waterproof and has the sos feature as well as gps. Yet I still think paired with plb is wise
Thanks, thats good to know. I just trust the process with EPIRB activation better than any other... Vessels in the vicinity of an EPIRB activation are required by maritime law to assist, and MRCC follows up on this. I’m not sure the same rules apply for SOS activation on satphone.
ErikSteenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
We used to have this thing that didn't require people to have an EPIRB. It's called personal responsibility.
There’s also this thing called being prepared for the worst case scenario
Old 10-07-2018, 10:02   #34

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikSteenberg View Post
There’s also this thing called being prepared for the worst case scenario
Erik no use arguing with stupid comments like that, unfortunately it's a part of CF.

BTW it sounds like you handled your situation very well, congratulations. I met the owner of Kinda magic several times while in the Seychelles.

As someone that has actually been in a life threatening situation at sea (ie boat sinking) I'm sure you truly appreciate epirbs and life rafts, none of us assume we will use them.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Erik no use arguing with stupid comments like that, unfortunately it's a part of CF.

BTW it sounds like you handled your situation very well, congratulations. I met the owner of Kinda magic several times while in the Seychelles.

As someone that has actually been in a life threatening situation at sea (ie boat sinking) I'm sure you truly appreciate epirbs and life rafts, none of us assume we will use them.
Thank you. I think we did ok under the circumstances, and you’re 100% correct. The world is a small place afterall! I never got to speak to Neville after the incident, he must have been very dissappointed with what happened... I can’t blame him either.
Old 10-07-2018, 16:18   #36
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
The 9575 iridium is waterproof and has the sos feature as well as gps. Yet I still think paired with plb is wise
Just to be clear, the 9575 is not waterproof. It is probably best described casually as water resistant or splash proof. It is rated as IP65.

To be considered waterproof, it would need to be at least IP76 or IP68. See IP65 vs. IP67 vs. IP68 - RuggedInformer.com and https://www.accessfixtures.com/ip-ratings/ for simple explanations of IP rating.

It many emergencies, time is of the essence. An EPIRB needs only seconds to activate with no further operator input.

Yes a 9575 is a good device but only while you maintain your account and have the time and opportunity to use.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:05   #37

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I have Spot, Personal Eprib and Globalstar. Am considering changing spot to InReach. Redundancy is good. I have CG numbers on speed dial.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 13:09   #38

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Iridium is now also approver for GMDSS communication by the IMO.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 15:55   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

wotname-
You may find that in US English, "Waterproof" sounds very much like a word you are familiar with, but the legal binding definition is different from what you think. In the 1960's our Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which basically regulates anything dealing with commerce that crosses state borders, decided to take a bite out of the Bulova Watch Company. At that time, the makers of the most accurate watches on the planet, the Bulova Accutron. An original (tuning fork) Accutron is an electromechanical watch with a guaranteed accuracy twice as high as a chronometer-certified watch, within one minute per month, and still capable of being adjusted to the use, to keep within 10-15 seconds per month.

But Bulova often advertised them as WATERPROOF. Stamped right on the watch. That was partly a brag, because there's no pesky setting stem on the side of the watch to let water in on the classic "214" movements.

Well, they're not waterproof, they're just shower-and-sink waterproof. So the FTC laid down the law, if anyone wants to say "WATERPROOF" in the US, they are not allowed to do so UNLESS the say "Waterproof to a depth of ### for a time period of ###" or a similarly specific rating. Waterproof to 10 atmospheres, that's OK. Waterproof to 5 atmospheres--as long as no buttons are pressed--that's OK.

And the common "IP" ratings, along with military ratings, and various other ratings, are also allowed. The IP ratings tend to be favored because they sound good, they're internationally used by corporations, and they mystify most of the rubes.

But they're not the only ratings used here in the US, or elsewhere. They're just common, and actually fairly insignificant ones. If I had a Rolex that was IP76 rated...that would be one of the $10 models sold here on the subway.(G)

I suspect all the IP ratings commonly used also are "As long as you don't push any of the buttons!" ratings. Pushing a button, or simply swiping a device sideways, increases the difference in water pressure across the seal--breaking the rating. Falling off the deck and hitting the water? Right, if your device wasn't protected during the impact, it can be voided right there. And, most of those ratings require all new seals and gaskets every year or two as well. Caveat emptor. (Even if it is the very best of butter.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 17:40   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hellosailor ^^, this is pretty much the same situation down under!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 14:25   #41

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I bought a SatPhone for our present trip --strictly to communicate with family. However, we have an EPIRB and VHF/AIS. I wouldn't have purchased the phone if I didn't have a need to communicate with family when needed. Fairly cheap, however. Good luck and safe sailing... .Rognvald

Tags
epirb, phone