Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 08:24   #1

BVI Irma relief

Good Morning,

The crew of Necker Belle yacht, currently located in Grenada will be taking supplies up to the British Virgin Islands Saturday afternoon. If you have any donations that would help the people of the BVI, your support will be much appreciated. There will be a box at Port Louis Marina.

Many thanks
Sayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 15:55   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: BVI Irma relief

I just Googled yacht Necker Belle, there's more about her here: Necker Belle | Private Yacht Charter

At 32 m. she can carry a lot of bottled water, and medical supplies.

Ann
Old 07-09-2017, 16:26   #3

Heck, she could carry RO units! batteries! solar panels!

Do the relief agencies have guidlines online for donations?

Ann
Old 07-09-2017, 16:49   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

At first read I thought "They'll take forever to get there. What will people need in three weeks?" Then I saw the boat.

And then I thought, "If Sir Richard Branson, one of the richest people in the world, can't pony up to fill his own boat, which is headed to his private island off Saba Rock in the BVIs, with relief supplies...what is the world coming to?"
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 17:05   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

They need all the help they can get! Tents, tarps, water, food, medics, medical supplies......
reading on FB page "BVI abroad hurricane Irma". People are desperate for anything and everything. Most living shelters completly wiped out. Hospital compromised. Roads impassable, little no working power boats to access outer islands. SAR boats compromised. Little to no communictions are opperable. People are panicked and desperate to hear news of their loved ones. All are concerned that they will be without shelter in 1 1/2 days when Jose hit or brushes by with more rain and destructive wind.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 17:10   #6

Suijun,

Not the point, at least for me, the point is humanitarian relief, and who better able to offer some than someone with a large, fast boat? He can go "home" empty or full. They've made an offer. I don't think they'd go empty handed, in any event. There may be people where they are who want to help out making the offer is a good thing.

So, leaving the class struggle aside, How about also, clothes, soap, bandages, antiseptic powder or spray, and maybe even long life milk, and long lasting foods? Put yourselves in the places of the worst off of the common people, they're bad off. How can compassionate care possibly be wrong?

Ann
Old 07-09-2017, 17:11   #7

Any donations will be of huge value, essentials first... we leave Saturday afternoon.
Old 07-09-2017, 17:16   #8

Branson and Virgin are flying in planes of essential supplies including generators etc... The crew of Neckerbelle is taking making an effort above and beyond Virgin. Spending their own money and reaching out on their own accord for support of fellow boat and humanitarians alike. No need for personal opinions at this point. Thank you
Old 07-09-2017, 17:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
At first read I thought "They'll take forever to get there. What will people need in three weeks?" Then I saw the boat.

And then I thought, "If Sir Richard Branson, one of the richest people in the world, can't pony up to fill his own boat, which is headed to his private island off Saba Rock in the BVIs, with relief supplies...what is the world coming to?"
Does he have a supply boat on the way? How do you know this? I'm with holding judgements as his son Sam has been proactive with communications updating desperate people as to the situation on the ground. It would be nice to see they become first responders. Word has it their boats were kept at leverick and leverick was wiped out.
Old 07-09-2017, 17:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayang View Post
Branson and Virgin are flying in planes of essential supplies including generators etc... The crew of Neckerbelle is taking making an effort above and beyond Virgin. Spending their own money and reaching out on their own accord for support of fellow boat and humanitarians alike. No need for personal opinions at this point. Thank you
This is very welcome and awesome news!
Old 07-09-2017, 17:27   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayang View Post
Fair enough. If I was there I'd put something in your box.

That said, it's not my "personal opinion". It's my observation of a rather pointed irony. If I was your employer I'd have already called you and said "Fill the boat and charge it." Respect to you for doing what you can in the absence of that.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 17:38   #12

Communication is limited at the moment to the island. We are collecting supplies on behalf of the owner in Antigua that has been flown in from the U.K. We are simply asking for anything extra in terms of basic relief. I.e. Water, tarps, clothing, sheets, canned goods, etc... this is above and beyond. Nothing to do except help people in need. Sorry it wasn't put out like this to start. It is simply an effort to help people in need.

Tags
BVI