Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 08:13   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bahamas Hurricane Relief by Cruisers

FWIW:
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation (BMOTA) urges travelers to keep and pursue their vacations to the islands that were not affected and remain open.
In the Northwest Bahamas, these include the Bahamas capital of Nassau and neighboring Paradise Island, as well as Eleuthera, Harbour Island, Andros, Bimini and The Berry Islands.
The Islands in the Southeastern and Central Bahamas remain unaffected, including The Exumas, Cat Island, San Salvador, Rum Cay, Long Island, Acklins/Crooked Island, Mayaguana and Inagua.
More ☞ https://www.bahamas.com/hurricane-storm-information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:52   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

I think it's a great idea. I also think that the effectiveness of it would be greatly enhanced if you could find a local contact in the area you're thinking of volunteering that could serve as project manager, liaison, and general organizer.

Long after the immediate short-term relief work there will still be a very chaotic environment. Money will be tight, priorities and materials fought over, logistical challenges such as building supplies that arrive late or not at all, etc. It's going to be like a war zone.

An outside informal organization that shows up may find it hard to "plug in" and get traction other than straight "ad hoc" jumping in on piecemeal projects. Maybe that is enough. But I think working with someone who knows the local scene, government folks, and general landscape of relief and rebuilding efforts would really maximize the return on volunteers' efforts and aid.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:58   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think it's a great idea. I also think that the effectiveness of it would be greatly enhanced if you could find a local contact in the area you're thinking of volunteering that could serve as project manager, liaison, and general organizer...
... An outside informal organization that shows up may find it hard to "plug in" and get traction other than straight "ad hoc" jumping in on piecemeal projects. Maybe that is enough. But I think working with someone who knows the local scene, government folks, and general landscape of relief and rebuilding efforts would really maximize the return on volunteers' efforts and aid.
Indeed.
Anyone know anyone local?

Old 06-09-2019, 09:20   #19

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think it's a great idea. I also think that the effectiveness of it would be greatly enhanced if you could find a local contact in the area you're thinking of volunteering that could serve as project manager, liaison, and general organizer.

Long after the immediate short-term relief work there will still be a very chaotic environment. Money will be tight, priorities and materials fought over, logistical challenges such as building supplies that arrive late or not at all, etc. It's going to be like a war zone.

An outside informal organization that shows up may find it hard to "plug in" and get traction other than straight "ad hoc" jumping in on piecemeal projects. Maybe that is enough. But I think working with someone who knows the local scene, government folks, and general landscape of relief and rebuilding efforts would really maximize the return on volunteers' efforts and aid.
I agree - I would gladly join in if there are unique skills that I can contribute. Volunteering to do basic labor can be more harmful than helpful if it prevents a local from having a job. (It can also be illegal to work abroad, even in a volunteer capacity.) I looking for the Bahamian government / local charitable organization to take the lead and indicate what's needed, what I can legally import duty free and donate for example.

Does anyone know of the status of Maxwell's grocery in Marsh Harbour, or whether freighters can get into the harbour?
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:24   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I've been thinking today about how to help the people affected by Hurricane Dorian. Giving money right now helps get some immediate assistance but afterwards they are going to need some long term help rebuilding.
Great idea! I was thinking about loading my boat up with supplies and heading over now, but others helped me see that it would not be very helpful right now. The longer term approach you're suggesting is brilliant. I'm in Hollywood FL, so am relatively close. Let me know how I can help...

On a more personal note, a family we know from the marina where we live sailed over to Man 'O War Cay about three weeks ago to deliver school supplies to Bahamian kids. They got stranded there due to mechanical issues, and had to survive the storm ashore with generous locals. Their boat (also their home) was severely damaged, but perhaps not a total loss as it's still afloat, albeit holed and dismasted. Their daughter set up a GoFundMe to help them get back to the US and reestablished, and it has far exceeded the original goal due to the generosity of fellow cruisers. She is going to donate anything they don't need to help with the recover efforts. Good to know real, honest people...

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:29   #21

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

A wonderful idea. All the difficulties associated with it will be overcome. We are not in a position to help personally being in South Africa but we can contribute money. Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to do that or should I wait to see what develops.

I have been thinking the SSCA could play a role here in collecting and dispensing money but I really do not have a good idea as to how that could work.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:31   #22

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

This is such a great thing to pursue and accomplish, letting cruisers know what to bring and where to deliver items/labor help, as logistics and local contacts are set up is a good step in this pursuit. We on the sailing vessel Pegu Club are on board with this effort. We are currently in the northern Chesapeake making our way albeit slowly towards the Bahamas.

Can this site be a point of reference for cruisers to check in for the types of items needed on our way to the Islands?

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:32   #23

Boat: C&C 36Plus
Send a message via Skype™ to Jhutt

Here’s the link to Hopetown Sailing Club with current photos, donor links and updates. I visited this spring before a delivery north.
https://www.hopetownsailingclub.com/
Jhutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:41   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a list of items that are needed by those affected by Hurricane Dorian:

Building Supplies:
Plywood/Lumber
Sheet rock
Roofing materials (shingles, tar paper, etc.)
Drip caps
Nails
Plastic Sheeting Rolls/Tarpaulin (various sizes)
Chain Saws

Cleaning Supplies:
Mops & Buckets
Towels & towelettes
Gloves
Wet Wipes
Large Plastic Trash Bags
Bleach
Chlorine tablets
Lysol
Disinfectant

Groceries:
Water & Water Containers
Canned goods
Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's)
Non-perishable Dry Goods
Baby Juice
Baby Food
Baby Formula
Cereal

Home & Outdoor:
Generators
Portable Stoves
Butane Canisters
Blankets
Air Mattresses
Mattresses (single or double)
Pillows
Sheet sets
Non-Electronic Can Openers

Safety & Hygiene:
First Aid Kits
Water Filtration Devices
Mosquito repellent
Flashlights
Hygiene Kits
Diapers
Baby wipes

*Although it is appreciated we are unable to accept used clothes or old mattresses.

More info (including import exemptions etc) ☞ https://www.bahamas.com/relief

Old 06-09-2019, 09:42   #25

Hurricane relief
That is a wonderful idea.
I do know this area well. In addition, after Hurricane Maria, I organized getting water purifiers to the Puerto Rico.
https://rideouttech.com/success-puer...ers-delivered/
And here is what I found:
1. You may not be able to sail into the harbors. These are shallow to begin with and now may well be filled with all the building materials that came off the houses. Last year, I had to wait for high tide to get into Marsh Harbor, (Abacos) and Freeport’s entrance is long and narrow.
2. You have to bring everything. Every nail, every drop of water and enough fuel to get home as you will not be able to buy any there.
3. Downloading materials will be very tough, there are no docks in either one of these towns and that also includes Hope Town and Green turtle Cay, all were swept away.
4. These are real problems-the debris in the water is dangerous.
Other than that – go for it. I will sail over and help! Keep us posted.

Jeri Rutherford, S/V Lazy J
Lazy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:45   #26

Boat: Grand Banks 36' Motor Yacht

My physical condition will not allow me to do much of anything on site. (Age plays a role in that too.) However I like many have some very fond memories of my time in West End, Walker's Cay, Laucaya and most of all the waters north of Grand Bahama Island. I cannot pick a best time, but have hundreds of memories that are so very special. Many of those very wonderful memories involve Bahamians.

Something as simple as being taught how to clean and prepare conch for a meal. I cannot tell you the number of cuber machines I brought to the islands and gave away. Dozens, many dozens. Most did the cubing by hand with a hammer.

One chap that only had a small aluminum Jon boat and a motor on it's last hours. We pulled him back to West End after loading the Conch in my boat (his was so loaded it would in 1 foot chop).... his motor was done. I made a call and some friends coming that weekend told them of his need. They brought him a very good 5-hp outboard one of them had from his old dink and did not use any longer. He cried he was so happy! That was the way he made a living, diving for Conch. We also bought a bunch of Conch from him at a higher price than the wholesale outfit paid him. Great deal for us and him too.

Many of you can understand that not only did so many suffer the loss of their home, they may also have lost their "job". If you know someone like Antonio in the story above, they you know someone that may need the tools of their trade.........

I for one would be glad to help as well....... Will one of you become a lead in this effort and tell me how to contact you direct? Thanks.
hernandobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:54   #27

Here is some recent information about that. There are some organizations coordinating these types of efforts. I have "lurked on this site before, and am now finally closing in on my own purchase of a vessel. As I am new, I will try not to make any mistakes regarding these forums as I try to provide some of this information. Pallaran if you would like to message me separately, I can also most likely provide you with additional information regarding this. (BTW I love your boat)

Sean WelshSeptember 3 at 1:06 PM
Help the Bahamas
The storm is moving on, and the reports are coming in: Widespread destruction. Critical shortages. Inoperative infrastructure. Injury and even deaths. And we all want, desperately, to help, in any way we can.
I am a disaster relief worker. I have hundreds of hours of training, and thousands of hours on the ground. I have been deployed to dozens of disaster relief operations, including multiple Category 5 hurricanes. And I can tell you from experience: If you truly want to help the Bahamians, do NOT go to the Bahamas to help, and do NOT send unsolicited goods to the Bahamas. We in the disaster relief community call this “The Second Disaster” (Google it).
Able-bodied workers with no special training or experience are not needed in a place where the entire population is now out of work, with nothing ahead of them except recovery. And goods and materials sent without a plan to offload them, warehouse them, guard them, care for them, transport them, distribute them, and ultimately dispose of them not only will not be effective, but they will, in fact, divert critically needed attention and manpower from more urgent or effective tasks. I’ve seen it firsthand: piles of donated goods rotting in the weather.
The infrastructure does not exist to support your presence in the affected area. Even if you believe you are 100% self-sufficient, the background support network that all of us take for granted does not exist: if you so much as puncture yourself with a rusty nail you will become a burden on an already overtaxed system. Well-organized relief agencies understand this problem extremely well, and it is why you do not see even trained relief workers flooding into a disaster area the second the storm moves out, whereas genuine first responders, such as the military or Search & Rescue task forces, bring their own ability for self-rescue.
If you truly want to help the Bahamian people, send money. There are a number of vetted relief organizations already on the ground or en route to the Bahamas for relief and recovery (see links below). Dollars spent by those organizations are always more effective than dollars spent by individuals outside of the disaster area on things that are sent in.
If you must send materials (say, because you own a lumberyard or a generator dealership or a bottling company), partner with one of the existing agencies that is collecting them, and only provide what they have asked for (see links). They are building the logistical pipeline to get those materials to where they are needed. I know you read someplace that they need generators, and you have that Honda you haven’t used in two years, but it will be more effective for you to sell it on eBay and donate the proceeds than it will for you to try to send it to the Abacos. Really.
A special note for my fellow captains, credentialed or not: Yes, boats and captains will be needed to provide relief and recovery in the Bahamas. But here again, unless you are partnered with an established relief agency who has explicitly asked you to bring your boat, do not go to the affected area. The Association of Bahamas Marinas has issued a statement imploring private boaters NOT to come. There are no docks or other facilities, the waters are choked with debris, bathymetry has changed, and uncharted hazards abound.
The Bahamas needs your help. Please respect their wishes and help in the ways they’ve requested.
Links:
Bahamas Red Cross Society:
https://bahamasredcross.org/bahamas-red-cross-society-hurr…/
Bahamas official Hurricane Relief page:
https://www.bahamas.com/hurricane-relief
Statement from Association of Bahamas Marinas (Twitter):
https://twitter.com/BahamasMarin…/status/1168913362853552129
wolfychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:56   #28

Here is the closest currently safe, and allowable area that I am aware of;

Chub Cay Resort & Marina

September 4 at 12:19 PM ·

Mr. Bishop and Chub Cay Management have secured clearance from the Bahamian Government to serve as a safe drop off point of entry for supplies going to the Abacos and Grand Bahama, DUTY FREE. We will be assisting in storage and secure movement of all donated goods via air and sea.
Our diesel/fuel tanks our currently full and the Fuel Dock is open for those attempting to run supplies. Please call us if you have any questions or would like to arrange a donation drop off: (786)209-0025.

wolfychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:01   #29

Boat: Morgan 34

Please add my name to the list of cruisers planning to help in the Abacos. I am a retired carpenter/woodworker with tools and skills. I expect to heading across in December and will try to keep in touch with the community via whatever web site is dedicated to this effort.
Chris Ferrier
sv Rachael
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:05   #30
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhutt View Post
Here’s the link to Hopetown Sailing Club with current photos, donor links and updates. I visited this spring before a delivery north.
https://www.hopetownsailingclub.com/
The Hopetown link lead me to this link:
https://www.facebook.com/YachtAidGlobal/

They may be a good starting point to at least discuss a plan and implementation of it. FWIW, it really wouldn't be a good idea to rush there right now but rather to wait until hurricane season is over. That is over two months away. That will give the trained emergency responders time to stabilize the situation. I do think it will be important that even in the future any aid we as a group provides be done self-sufficiently.

Tags
Bahamas, cruise, cruiser, fun, hurricane, men