Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 02:45   #166
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bahamas Hurricane Relief by Cruisers

Thanks, AGAIN, David!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:18   #167

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Here is our update for this week.
Thanks for the update.

Questions: how is cell service? Any meaningful difference between BTC and Aliv? Recovery in BVI prioritized cell service and that really helped all the other recovery efforts.

What's the supply chain look like? Small freighters from Florida to Marsh Harbour and local boats to Hope Town? How are the commercial docks in Marsh Harbour?

Is the airport open yet? UPS? FedEx?

Is Maxwells open?

How are fuel supplies?

Is C&I operating in Marsh Harbour? Green Turtle?

Disappointing that so few cruisers are pitching in.

I talked to The Moorings a couple of weeks ago. They've moved all their boats in any kind of sailable condition to the Exumas base. They plan to rebuild Conch Inn and Marina including the fuel dock but don't have a schedule yet.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:04   #168
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Thanks for the update.

Questions: how is cell service? Any meaningful difference between BTC and Aliv? Recovery in BVI prioritized cell service and that really helped all the other recovery efforts. I only have Myislandwifi which uses BTC. Sometimes it's faster than at home and sometimes it doesen't work at all. I've been told that Aliv is the best here.

What's the supply chain look like? Small freighters from Florida to Marsh Harbour and local boats to Hope Town? How are the commercial docks in Marsh Harbour? Again, I haven't been here long enough to understand the problems but the two that are most obvious to me is supplies of construction materials and removal of trash. They will not let them burn ANYTHING here and so it all has to be shipped to Marsh. If they could at least burn the organic stuff it would help tremendously.

Is the airport open yet? UPS? FedEx? Marsh and Treasure - Yes. No idea on shipping.

Is Maxwells open? Yes, since November 7th.

How are fuel supplies? Available but not easy. Jerry can's

Is C&I operating in Marsh Harbour? Green Turtle? My understanding is yes in Marsh by arrangement and no in GT, but yes up at Spanish Cay by arrangement. BUT I was told it's way better to clear at West End.

Disappointing that so few cruisers are pitching in.

I talked to The Moorings a couple of weeks ago. They've moved all their boats in any kind of sailable condition to the Exumas base. They plan to rebuild Conch Inn and Marina including the fuel dock but don't have a schedule yet.
Answers in Red

As an fyi, my generator started to overheat. I think it's the thermostat and have a friend bringing me one tomorrow. If it isn't that though I'm going to need some serious help in troubleshooting what is wrong with it. So if anyone reading this has that knowledge please give me a hand tomorrow night. I'll post if it's working or not. We can't make water without the generator. Northern Lights 8KVA, 17 years old.

Water is available by jerry jug. We just don't have one and need lots because of showers, clothes washing, and of course my toilets flush with the stuff.

Oh, one last thing. If you are coming to work, bring boots. Big mistake - huge :-(
Old 09-12-2019, 13:14   #169

Boat: Leopard 39, 38'

Hi Palarran -

Are you staying on a mooring in Hope Town harbour or are you anchored out?

Mark & Sharon
S/V Calypso
smnsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 13:50   #170

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
As an fyi, my generator started to overheat. I think it's the thermostat and have a friend bringing me one tomorrow. If it isn't that though I'm going to need some serious help in troubleshooting what is wrong with it. So if anyone reading this has that knowledge please give me a hand tomorrow night. I'll post if it's working or not. We can't make water without the generator. Northern Lights 8KVA, 17 years old.
Oof. I may be able to help. Do you have Whatsapp? Email me dave@auspiciousworks.com and we'll set a time for Whatsapp +14433279084. Best local guy I can think of is Rolle Laurenzo +12428068708 - he's on Whatsapp also - tell him I sent you. He's been in Nassau a lot since Dorian. I know he's okay and working but haven't talked to him for a while.

Old NL gensets are pretty basic. There are only so many things to go wrong. We should be able to sort you out remote.

Did you find the cook you were looking for?

sail fast and eat well, dave
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 14:24   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Marine Generator Engine Overheating?
- Low coolant, or defective cooling system (refill coolant, check hoses for leaks/loose connections, slipping fan belt)
- Keel cooling tubes have been painted (remove paint if possible, otherwise replace keel cooling tube)
- Defective thermostat (check, and replace thermostat if necessary)
- Defective temperature gauge (check water temperature with thermometer, and replace gauge if necessary)
- Water pump impeller worn / broken (check water pump impeller, and replace if necessary)

Northern Lights TOP 10 GENERATOR MAINTENANCE TIPS & TRICKS ☞ https://www.northern-lights.com/unca...r-tips-tracks/

NL Workshop Manual ☞ http://www.northern-lights.com/media...dfs/W673-2.pdf

Old 09-12-2019, 18:35   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Do you have access to an IR thermometer?
That will confirm or deny overheat.
If not overheating it’s the Murphy switch.
If it’s overheating, remove thermostat, operate generator, if it’s the thermostat it will run really cool. Confirm thermostat is busted by putting in hot water, it should fully open prior to water even looking like it’s going to boil.

If it’s not the thermostat confirm lots of water flow from exhaust, from there pull and clean the heat ex tubes. That is about it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 18:41   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnsailing View Post
Hi Palarran -

Are you staying on a mooring in Hope Town harbour or are you anchored out?

Mark & Sharon
S/V Calypso
Mooring. I'd suggest diving on whatever you pick up. We redid ours completely as of course something was tied to it and tore the lines off the pendent.
Old 11-12-2019, 19:03   #174

The generator is now running but still has problems. If anyone can give me a hand with recommendations the thread is here:
Problem with 8kva NL Generator - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 13-12-2019, 08:12   #175

Boat: 2002 Voyage 440

Hi Palarran,
I am sorry to be late picking up this thread. I would very much like to help with the Abacos recovery efforts. We usually cruise in the Exumas from Mary through May. How is the team organization coming? I would not want to show up if there weren't precisely identified work/need opportunities and if they weren't organized by someone. Would that be you and your colleagues? Please point me to whom I could contact about this very worthy work!
Dave C
Dcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 10:49   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

Old 15-12-2019, 22:06   #177

Boat: Ericson 31 Cruising

I too am a late-comer to this thread and am interested in helping. I have family with property on Long Island, Bahamas. I live aboard and currently plane to leave North Carolina for the Bahamas the second week of February and to stay until mid-April. I would be willing to spend most of that time helping - I am an experienced carpenter and have experience in many other areas of construction (including marine construction).

I would arrive with all the requisite hand and small power tools ready to work.

I will spend some time reading back through this thread but will second Dave C's request for organization details and contact information.

Who to contact, where to go, where to anchor/moor, availability of food/water, and any other requirements that I should know of.

Thanks in advance
taylmeistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 18:42   #178

Hello Dave and taylmeistr,
I just left Hope Town and am now in Spanish Wells so there is "real" internet available. It's great that you want to help in the Abacos. If you don't mind, I'd like to post a report on what we did and experienced in a few more days, before New Years for sure. Thanks.
David.
Old 22-12-2019, 02:11   #179
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, taylmeistr.

Old 23-12-2019, 11:31   #180

Boat: Ericson 31 Cruising

Great thanks David/Pallarran. I figured I wouldn't hear from you until you left Treasure.

I have recruited a second (and very skilled) carpenter for my trip. I will wait patiently and look forward to your report. Please include info on water availability. I am also interested to know whether you all ate from provisions you took along or were able to find food while at Treasure. Just trying to plan and provision properly.

Regards & happy holidays.
Chris
taylmeistr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruise, cruiser, fun, hurricane, men