Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 09:15   #91

Re: Are You Troubled ENOUGH ?

The Guardia is a liberal leaning source. I just did a search so it does exist. Do with this information as you wish.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 09:18   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSailing View Post
...people from these “privileged western countries” have done a great deal to create a world that supports billions of hungry people, with less desperation, less hunger and less lawlessness and violence than at any time in human civilization. That’s a low hurdle, but important nonetheless. Civilization can and will continue to improve, in part with the help of people who care as you do, but disrupt the process and motivations of work and wealth creation and watch several billion starve and then watch the desperate pursue self-interest in a far more destructive manner.
It would make a better case for the status quo if things were continuing to improve... but arguably, they're not. Here in the west, the next generation will not have it better than the one that raised them, even discounting the mounting environmental toll. More of the wealth being generated is staying with the wealthy, who turn it into political power for lower taxes, more wealth inequality, lather, rinse, repeat.

The world economy is still primarily consumer-based, so it's kind of short-sighted to be whittling away at your customers' purchasing power. It's this wealth hoarding that will light the torches and sharpen the pitchforks. Stock picks for 2025 - fencing and security companies.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 09:25   #93

Boat: Oyster 46

The idea that so many young people... particularly in the developing World have smart phones and are "on-line" gives me great hope.

Not all that long ago one needed a ride to the local library to learn on their own, and a dime in their pocket for a pay phone. That scenario only applied to a few "advanced" parts of the World.

Now billions can learn and communicate whenever they want. My guess is that many will use this for mutual advantage... Just as we are in this Forum. Their ingenuity could be amazing.

We old people did not do particularly well with the natural environment. But I think it is conceivable that an educated group is about to take over.

I welcome the involvement and ideas of these now billions of connected people who have so much information in the palm of their hands.
boatingisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 09:43   #94

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28

Barnakiel, it is easy to let ourselves feel overwhelmed by the sheer scope of the destruction mankind is unleashing. In part it is due to our numbers, a factor increased by among other things the Catholic church's stance on birth control. But yet, everywhere, in every land, there are men and women raising funds, creating solutions, designing technology to create better use of resources, recycling plastics, cleaning oceans and beaches, saving endangered elephant, lions, polar bears, etc. And despite often overwhelming proof to the contrary, I feel hopeful that we can yet turn things around! It helps to be mindful!
CMO Tashina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 09:44   #95

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28

Barnakiel, it is easy to let ourselves feel overwhelmed by the sheer scope of the destruction mankind is unleashing. But yet, everywhere, in every land, there are men and women raising funds, creating solutions, cleaning oceans and beaches, saving endangered elephant, lions, polar bears, etc. And despite often overwhelming proof to the contrary, I feel hopeful that we can yet turn things around!
CMO Tashina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 09:54   #96

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory Typhoon - Weekender

It does appear that we are in it deep. I have just finished "Death and Life of the Great Lakes." Fascinating and scary look at human progress and unintended consequences of progress. The genie is out of the bottle.
Christhebuddist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 11:02   #97

Boat: 35' sloop

Interesting topic.
I'll not get into any rants about how things are different. Just look at our own experiences'. That nice anchorage that's now owned by a cruise company. Or the little marina that's now a golf community.

I will say this though:

Bigger isn't always better, and growth isn't always progress.

It was nice while it lasted ....
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 12:01   #98

Boat: 44 Mikelson Long Range Cruiser

There's a balance in all of it. Living like a caveman is not something I aspire to.

Since I was born in the early '60's, the following animals have made astounding comebacks in my neck of the woods: deer, turkey, black bear, bald eagles, coyotes. And that's in spite of the fact that North Carolina has tripled in population.

Water quality and air quality are dramatically better than 50 years ago thanks to environmental regulations and better technology.

Growth may not always be progress, but the opposite of growth in an urban setting means declining population, declining ad valorem tax collections, and an eventual erosion of a municipality's ability to maintain it's infrastructure and provide services to its citizens. Take a look at Detroit or Cleveland or Baltimore or any other urban area that's faced population decline.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 13:58   #99

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Barny old boy, you got to stop reading that crap
Has anyone ever noticed how a lot of the great disaster movies begin with the politicians ignoring the scientists? Just sayin'.
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:15   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Has anyone ever noticed how a lot of the great disaster movies begin with the politicians ignoring the scientists? Just sayin'.

Only the good movies.
Old 21-09-2020, 14:34   #101

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
This is a wide net.

A nice person I know is very excited they are building an Amazon distribution center near our home.

I was like "great" more **** from China that will break next month.

We really need a "fix some broken Amazon ****" factory.
Hopefully we don't end up in prison camps before America can be restored. D:
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:44   #102

I have a very low opinion of the Guardian. It is more a propaganda source than a news source.

The article quoted is a good example of how they work. The headline leaves you with the idea that nothing is being done to save a deteriorating environment. The detail, which 90% of people will not read, says progress is being made on 75% of the remediation goals set.

There is a website calling itself the Off-Guardian which devotes much of its time to giving the alternative view to the Guardian's articles and to correcting its errors.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:48   #103

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25

Ha! "Off-guardian"! Right on! Lol

������������������
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:57   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
I have a very low opinion of the Guardian. It is more a propaganda source than a news source.

The Guardian has a lean, and they are a little too earnestly anti-Trump, but when it comes to facts and research, they're still one of the better papers.

Off-Guardian - the slew of 9/11 truther articles kind of gives the game away. Nothing to see here...
Old 21-09-2020, 15:27   #105

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The Guardian has a lean, and they are a little too earnestly anti-Trump, but when it comes to facts and research, they're still one of the better papers.

Off-Guardian - the slew of 9/11 truther articles kind of gives the game away. Nothing to see here...
It’s not about the média. That’s just another bit of corporate propaganda to keep your mind off the real problems. The problems are all around you to see for yourself.