Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2021, 08:26   #46

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Anyone carry self-fusing tape?

I used it on a ruptured fuel line once. Believe me, I was glad I had it.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 08:38   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecambrai View Post
Not only self-amalgamating tape, but 2 part 'leakfix' for holes in tanks or pipes, and putty which you heat up with your hands by moulding it into a ball then moulding round the part to be fixed (sets like metal), And what about JB Weld. In fact, given time I could probably produce a list of other emergency materials that I have but am not near the boat at the moment!

Indeed. We carry a fair bit of epoxy putty. It's saved our bacon a couple of times. And good ol' JB Weld is a must. Kept our pressure pump from dumping diesel when it sprung a leak a few years ago (albeit on the low-pressure side).
Old 27-09-2021, 08:42   #48

Boat: DeFever 41

Why not. It's useful, easy to use, inexpensive, and doesn't take up much space. We've carried it ever since learning about it in the early 2000s and have used it several times on various small leaks, frayed wires, etc. There is a version of Rescue Tape (patented product) available at Home Depot (probably other HW stores) that is less expensive with slightly lower temp and pressure tolerances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Of course. Very useful stuff. Why wouldn't you carry a roll or two?
BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 11:11   #49

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

The stuff is fantastic. I use it frequently for temporary repairs. Also works well for whipping line.
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 12:22   #50

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

How does using it to whip line work?

It takes several layers to fuse, and you would need to tie wrap end until it cures.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 13:17   #51

Quote:
Indeed. We carry a fair bit of epoxy putty. It's saved our bacon a couple of times. And good ol' JB Weld is a must. Kept our pressure pump from dumping diesel when it sprung a leak a few years ago (albeit on the low-pressure side).
What's special about JB Weld? isn't it regular epoxy? Several here recomend it.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 13:30   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
What's special about JB Weld? isn't it regular epoxy? Several here recomend it.
I think you're right, although it is possible JB has some slightly different formulations. But yeah, I think it's basicaly epoxy.

I guess the value is that it comes in small containers so it's easy to mix a tea-spoon or two. I also carry larger containers of West-system epoxy, but those pump measurements require one mixes something like a 1/4 cup as a minimum, so JB is more convenient for small jobs.
Old 27-09-2021, 13:42   #53

Quote:
I think you're right, although it is possible JB has some slightly different formulations. But yeah, I think it's basicaly epoxy.

I guess the value is that it comes in small containers so it's easy to mix a tea-spoon or two. I also carry larger containers of West-system epoxy, but those pump measurements require one mixes something like a 1/4 cup as a minimum, so JB is more convenient for small jobs.
my boat is glass over wood so I'm always playing with epoxy. I used to waste so much, now I get freebie syringes at the pharmacy and use old pill bottles to store small amounts of hardner and epoxy. Mix it in the little salsa cups you get for Mexican Take out food. SO convenient. Store it in little plastic tupperware to keep tidy.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 13:44   #54

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

JB weld is basically a heavily thickened / reinforced epoxy.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 14:04   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
Was wondering if I should get a roll for temp repair of leaking fuel line, coolant, sea cock issue. It's cheap but I don't want another "thing" that lacks utility (I already have Bengal Cat). Was all thinking of a roll of Gorilla Waterproof tape.
I swear by the silicon tape for emergency fixes, really works in a jam until you can do a proper repair. The good stuff is not cheap but worth every cent when you have a sudden emergency at sea.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 15:11   #56

I used to carry a roll, then I needed it urgently and couldn't find it. So now I carry several rolls and put them in different places on the boat.
vhenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 15:12   #57

Boat: SOLD

I use 3M self-fusing tape. First time I used it was in the late 80's working in 13.5 and 32 kvolt underground lines. It came with the Raychem repair kits for underground and underwater high voltage lines. Not cheap but it's one of the best stuff on the market. Used it on my spreaders when I lost one boot and 4 years later sold the boat with it still up there. Used it with hot and cold water, diesel and gasoline (not high pressure) and never failed . Even used it for grip on the tiller of my first boat. Best tip when using it : VERY CLEAN surface and hands and even the end will stick forever (wipe with alcohol or acetone) and always-always strech it untill it turns grey.

Fair winds
Mariano
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote